Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

X0/XX Grip Shift

Anybody currently running the XO/XX SRAM Grip Shift. I'm thinking about buying some XO grip shifts, but trying to get some feedback before i do. They look much better than the old throttle shifters, and seem to mostly get good reviews(for few i can find online) by the people who ACTUALLY tried them. Any of you running them on your bike right now? Do they perform well enough to change out my X7 triggers on my all-purpose FS 29er? Basically how do they perform and do you regret buying them?

BTW none of my friends have them, and no LBS bikes equipped with them to test. Most of the threads i've found on here about them are from when they first came out, and most people hadn't ridden them yet.
    2012 Pivot Mach 429
    2010 Cervelo R3 SL

rr
    I don't do PC
    Yes they work great, I've always felt Gripshift has the most precise and light action shifting, at least in the last 10 years or so since the X series der's.

On the latest version, couple things- If you use the new type 2 clutch der, not quite as light action, and the grips are longer than previous versions. This can be an issue w/ reach to the brake lever. I'm waiting on these special end cap rings to run shorter grips as the reach to my XT levers is not ideal.

Checkout this article, it has more on those details I mentioned-
    New SRAM Grip Shift – Tech Details, Photos, Weights & First Impressions - Bike Rumor

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My wife's been running the new XO twisters since early last season and their great. She wouldn't run anything else but the smoothness/lighter action of the new design is really an improvement. Everyone seems concerned about the grips and length. The shifters come w/ a 'plug' to seal the shifters if you want to run other grips. Currently running cutdown Ergons w/ integrated bar-ends. I'm still on 9s so I'll wait till I upgrade to XX this year to put them on but no triggers for me either.

mtbr member
    I have used XO Gripshift on a couple of rides on my 2013 Stump Marathon HT. I really like the Gripshift - it feels more positive than the older XO X-ray stuff I had.
    I like it enough that I am stripping the parts off the HT to put on my new Epic frame.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy13 View Post
    Everyone seems concerned about the grips and length. The shifters come w/ a 'plug' to seal the shifters if you want to run other grips.
    Mine did not, and apparently I'm not alone based off some other posts I've seen. Sram told my LBS they were out at the moment but should have them soon. Honestly tho I bet it's not needed, I can't imagine anything getting inside the shifter with a grip butted up against it. If I don't see em soon I will just put on my shorty ODI grips and be done with it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I put a set of XO's on my Trance X. Like a lot. I've always
    liked grip shifters. The thing that is so nice is how you can
    just instantly go up or down multiple gears.

upgrade until you suck
    Nov 2005
    I put the rear X0 shifter on my Honzo with a Type 2 derailleur. Shifts awesome, build quality is great. I agree with grnd0 that it's great to be able to dump gears. Might put them on my XC bike at some point too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    For folks running different grips, how did you install the little spacer / plug thing? I'm running xx1, but I assume the grip interface is the same. I tried installing with the shifter off the bar, and couldn't find a way to get the 4 tabs all engaged simultaneously. On the bar, the tab movement is restricted. I assume I'm doing something wrong, but i see no other way for it to go on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If I remember right, which is difficult at my age, installing the little plastic seal for the shifters was a little difficult for me too. I seem to remember that it was covered in the directions that came w/ the shifters and it had to be done prior to putting the shifter on the bar. Like I said it was last year and I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Ordered them. Will have them within the week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tkehler View Post
    Ordered them. Will have them within the week.
    Cool, could you reply on here how you like them after you get them?
    2012 Pivot Mach 429
    2010 Cervelo R3 SL

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDuderino2412 View Post
    Cool, could you reply on here how you like them after you get them?
    Sure. will do. Inspected them at the shop; they are going on the bike tomorrow. The mechanic showed me the internals. They are alloy, not plastic (but having said that, I thought the older X0 ones with the plastic were good). They guys in the shop that have tried them all said the same thing: the shifting is remarkably smooth and precise.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Have had the XO grip shifters now for 3-4 days. Very happy with the shifting -- the mechanism is fluid and smooth but also "definite". I'm not that pleased with the (hand) grips themselves, as they don't allow me to hold on to the edge of the bars with comfort. I will install Ergon grips.

I'm actually happy with either triggers or gripshifters. I don't get riled up like some of the gripshift haters. These are not cheap but they are probably going to last well.

insert sarcasm here
    Excuse the partial thread jack but...

Will 9spd XO Grip Shift work with Shadow Plus derailleurs? From what I understand, Sram 9 spd trigger shifters can be used with Shimano clutch derailleurs since the actuation ratio is almost exactly the same. Does this hold true for the grip shifters as well?

Currently planning on sticking with my trigger shifters on my XC race bike build, but would like to know if gripshift would work, should I get the urge to go full weight weenie. TIA.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by gbug View Post
    Excuse the partial thread jack but...

Will 9spd XO Grip Shift work with Shadow Plus derailleurs? From what I understand, Sram 9 spd trigger shifters can be used with Shimano clutch derailleurs since the actuation ratio is almost exactly the same. Does this hold true for the grip shifters as well?
    Not sure where you heard this was possible, but unfortunately due to the different cable pull ratios it won't work. SRAM uses 1:1 vs Shimano which uses 2:1. SRAM ESP vs Shimano Cable Pull

insert sarcasm here
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    Not sure where you heard this was possible, but unfortunately due to the different cable pull ratios it won't work. SRAM uses 1:1 vs Shimano which uses 2:1. SRAM ESP vs Shimano Cable Pull
    See the first post on page two of this thread: XT Shadow Plus rear derailleur - available when?

Shadow Plus 10spd derailleurs have been proven to work with 9spd Sram shifters.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

Big Damn Hero
    My riding buddy has gone through two XO grip shifters and recently upgraded to XX1. Unfortunately he is now on his second XX1 grip shifter and, quite obviously, he's annoyed... so he just ordered the XX1 trigger shifter.

He loves the shifter, but is fed up with reliability issues he's experienced.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

Cheesiest
    Quote Originally Posted by CBRsteve View Post
    My riding buddy has gone through two XO grip shifters and recently upgraded to XX1. Unfortunately he is now on his second XX1 grip shifter and, quite obviously, he's annoyed... so he just ordered the XX1 trigger shifter.

He loves the shifter, but is fed up with reliability issues he's experienced.
    Any explanation as to why they died?
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Is it possible to use an X0/XX Grip Shifter with an Shimano XTR SGS 10 speed rear derailleur?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TechniKal View Post
    For folks running different grips, how did you install the little spacer / plug thing? I'm running xx1, but I assume the grip interface is the same. I tried installing with the shifter off the bar, and couldn't find a way to get the 4 tabs all engaged simultaneously. On the bar, the tab movement is restricted. I assume I'm doing something wrong, but i see no other way for it to go on.
    You have to replace the already installed plastic ring with the ring in the box. Couldn't figure this out either, but have it installed now with a cut down ESI Chunky grip

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Is the front shifter index'd like the old grip shift or do you just get two or three clicks like the triggers?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It's not like the old shifters, only one click per gear on the front.

I just ordered an XO rear shifter. Since using them on my fat bike I've learned to love the speed of grip shifts. Universal Cycles has a pretty good price on them right now... and if you sign up for their newsletter you get 15% off.

Big Damn Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways View Post
    Any explanation as to why they died?
    One of his XO shifters broke when he crashed... apparently the grip shift is quite susceptible to breaking from impact unlike a trigger which is a bit more protected by the handlebar. His first XX1 trigger was broken from the factory, it didn't downshift. LBS replace it under warranty.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast