mtbr member

X post: Frame swap BB & Headset issues?!?! HELP!

Good Tuesday fellow MTBR members!

I'm looking at a new Superfly Comp build kit , everything but the frame. It was a LBS warranty snafu... I will be attempting to install all of the parts onto a new Salsa Spearfish 2 frame . Other than the obvious seat post issue and G2 fork issue, my questions revolve around the crank/BB and the headset. I am attempting to have this Franken-bike up and running by the weekend, if I need a new BB or headset, I have to get on the ball ordering these items!

Thanks in advance for your help and expertise!

Jeff

mtbr member
    Spearfish uses a PF30 bottom bracket, there is an adapter to run Shimano compatible cranksets with a PF30, but not Sram. So you will need a new crankset such as the SRAM X9 PF30 crankset.

You will also need a new upper and lower headset as the Superfly uses integrated bearings but the Spearfish uses Zerostack. The upper is a standard 1 1/8" zerostack (ZS44 in Cane Creek) and the lower is a 1.5" zerostack (ZS56).

mtbr member
    You can use this...you'll need a PF30 bottom bracket in addition to these adapters.

Problem Solvers QBP Part # CR0096
    And this...
    Problem Solvers QBP Part# CR0097

Or this...You'll need a PF30 BB also with this one.
    Wheels Manufacturing PF30-SRAM

To run your crankset in the Spearfish.

mtbr member
    This headset should work...
    Universal Cycles -- FSA Orbit 1.5 ZS Internal Tapered Headset - For Tapered Steerer Tubes

Or any standard zero-stack tapered headset will work. The fork has a tapered steer tube, correct?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater View Post
    You can use this...you'll need a PF30 bottom bracket in addition to these adapters.

Problem Solvers QBP Part # CR0096
    And this...
    Problem Solvers QBP Part# CR0097

Or this...You'll need a PF30 BB also with this one.
    Wheels Manufacturing PF30-SRAM

To run your crankset in the Spearfish.
    Ahh, they have make a kit to work with GXP cranks...well nevermind the new crankset part then (although it would be a cleaner interface than two sets of adapters).

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of your suggestions and links to the products! You guys went above and beyond! Thanks for that!

I'm waiting on verification of when the 2013 Spearfish frame will be available (w/Fox RP23!) and what it will cost. I'll post a new thread of the build.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    I went ahead and placed my order for a 2012 Spearfish 2 frame set in Orange. I also ordered the BB adaptor, ZS tapered headset, chain watcher (1x10!), Jag-Wire teflon cable set, and an extra der hanger. Got a look at the donor components yesterday too, ends up they are off of a std Superfly carbon and not the comp. Minor bummer, no 15 qr, or x9 crank mainly. It was an XL so I'd think there would be little issues with steer tube length, although I am a little concerned about the length of the rear brake hose. All in all I'll be in it for well under $1400! Swap on my Haven wheels and a few other choice parts and I'll be ready to hit the trail! Frame hits Tuesday!

mtbr member
    Frame is here! Rear brake is too short, and the BB did not come in.... I hope to remedy these minor issues tomorrow for a ride Saturday morning! Pics to come.