....just cruisin through

X-Post: BIG tires on a Yelli

So I just scored a pair of Maxxis Minion DHF 29 X 2.5 shoes. Mounted on Stans Flows (old, not EX). Wouldn't you know it - rubbage. I only have contact with two of the shoulder knobs (widest point), only on the non-drive side, and only on the chainstay (the seatstays still have a good 2+ cm clearance per side). There is NO noticeable wobble in the rim, and the tire bead is seated completely and evenly. I am using a Hadley 10mm through axle, so I know that the wheel is centered in the dropouts.

I have not done a measurement of the chainstays to see if they are asymmetrical, does anyone know if the non-drive side chainstay sits a little further inboard than the drive side? The other issue could be wheel dish, as I probably have 1 cm clearance between the tire and the chainstay on the drive side.

So: Are chainstays asymmetrical, or do I have a dish issue. AND, if it is a dish issue, do people have their wheels dished to absolute center no matter what, or should I just have it dished so that my tire is centered in the chainstays?

X-Post: BIG tires on a Yelli-imag0416.jpgX-Post: BIG tires on a Yelli-imag0417.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers.....

Is dang happy!
    I have a very slight amount of rub on a modified SLX front der with 2.4 Ardents but the stays are good. Looks like you could fix it with a few millimeters of dish, not many frames will take a 2.5".
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    I had the same issue with a 2.4 RR on the non-drive side.
    Turner Sultan
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Ducati M1100s
    Husaberg TE 250
    KTM 300
    RD 400

....just cruisin through
    Quote Originally Posted by tortfeasor View Post
    I had the same issue with a 2.4 RR on the non-drive side.
    Did you find a solution you could live with, or go to a smaller tire?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers.....

WNC Native
    I had a Yelli for a bit with a set of P35s and Rampages. In the right position, I could get enough wheel/tire flex to buzz that spot as well. From the looks of the pictures, you need to just go to the 2.3 DHR2 (or the 2.3 DHF or HR2) on the rear. If you ride it hard enough to need those tires, you'll be buzzing the stays no matter how it's dished with the 2.5s.

Just my .02
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Holy Moly that's some Mega tire volume there!

mtbr member

HD's rock my Yelli

I would dish your wheel so that the tire is centered between the stays. I had the same issue with my Hans Dampf's. Dished the rim to center the tire, no problems. I normally run the trail on front and pace on back which lasts me about a year of aggressive riding. In this picture I have an old trail on back which I am trying to get a couple of extra miles out of before installing new sneakers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X-Post: BIG tires on a Yelli-dscn0188.jpg  

neg rep for contributing to thread deterioration and posting useless comment. - wadafuq.

www.fattiremassive.com