Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

X-Fusion Trace 29 140mm

Im thinking this may be the fork for my Tallboy LTc build once I thin the herd and get my wife to sign on. Has anyone heard anything about when they will be available or what axle they've settled on?

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Im thinking this may be the fork for my Tallboy LTc build once I thin the herd and get my wife to sign on. Has anyone heard anything about when they will be available or what axle they've settled on?
    I spoke with the X-fusion folks at the Sea Otter Classic and they were saying it would be available in July. Last week I called them in Santa Cruz and was told expect it sometime this fall. So, at this point, if they become available before the end of the year I will be impressed.

Why don't you give them a call and see what they tell you? Might be interesting.

I think that it will be a very sweet fork.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm not sure I can wait that long.

meow meow
    kind of confusing name.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just heard back via email. Early 2013.

mtbr member
    It will be worth the wait, trust me. I just started using a Vector Air HLR rear shock. it's above and beyond any Fox or Rock Shox rear shock period. I've already committed to putting their forks on all my bikes once these 140's are available.
    The other Fred........

rider
    Jan 2005
    I'm not sure I can wait that long.
    Have you considered the White Brothers Loop? Nice and stiff with an excellent damper. The Q-Taper axle clamping system locks down with a vengeance. Price is good.

I have a 140mm Loop on my Bandit 29 and just ordered another set at 130mm w/straight steerer to update my old bike. I guess that I like them...

mtbr member
    Subscribed...

Dinner for wolves
    Me too.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Subscribed. Fork looks great

bmw
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Looks great!

mtbr member
    I'm really drawing closer to xfusion products, I also like the fact brian lopes is riding for them.
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm really hoping that these will be available sooner than 2013. I was planning to use them on a Tallboy LTc build, but the I need to have something to put on the front of it when I build it up in September.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just an update: the new 2013 forks are up on X-Fusion's website.

X Fusion Shox - RL2

mtbr member
    Just an update: the new 2013 forks are up on X-Fusion's website.

X Fusion Shox - RL2
    Great catch. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Trace Series

Wheel Size: 29 inch
    Chassis: 34mm Tubes
    Stock Features: Uni-Crown (tapered only), GSA, X-15, Mid-Valve, RL2, ITA
    Optional Features: DLA, Remote Lockout
    Weight: 4.2 lbs, 1905 grams (140mm tubes) 4 lbs, 1840 grams (100mm tubes)
    Estimated Price Range: $600-$800 US
    Video: X-Fusion Launch 2013 Suspension Range - BikeRadar

If the 140mm RL2 (not external travel adjustable) travel tapered will cost 800$ or worse 800euros dont find it as an attractive price as Joel said....do you?

To be fair 800$ will not be so bad comparing to the paralogism of Fox but 800euros comparing with manitou offerings are much...

For me, I am sure I would go with Manitou in half of that price.
    No doubt.
    Last edited by ocean_29; 09-09-2012 at 05:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    Great catch. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean_29 View Post
    Video: X-Fusion Launch 2013 Suspension Range - BikeRadar

If the 140mm RL2 (not external travel adjustable) travel tapered will cost 800$ or worse 800euros dont find it as an attractive price as Joel said....do you?

To be fair 800$ will not be so bad comparing to the paralogism of Fox but 800euros comparing with manitou offerings are much...

For me, I am sure I would go with Manitou in half of that price.
    No doubt.
    I emailed X-Fusion last week regarding Trace pricing, but $700-850 isn't that far off the beaten path of 140mm fork pricing when compared to the Fox 34 or Revelations 140. Definitely not as ludicrous as Fox 34 pricing, but I was hoping it would be no more than $750 for the top Trace model. Then 15% off with Universalcycles.com coupon would be nice.
    konahonzo

beater
    I think that's about right for X-Fusion's high-end products, though. For example, I bought a Vector Air HLR and it was $500, compared to $515 for a DHX-Air. I think they're going to make their inroads by delivering a premium product at a price that's still below the competition.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If I end up buying a Trace 140mm, it will be because I think it is the best fork available. The $200 savings over a Fox 34 will be a bonus.

mtbr member
    If I end up buying a Trace 140mm, it will be because I think it is the best fork available. The $200 savings over a Fox 34 will be a bonus.
    It would be the best fork available, if they didn't bundle it with the Syntace15QR axle system. A 20mm axle would have been perfect.
    konahonzo

mtboaxaca
    Oct 2009

x fusion Trace

I agree a 20mm axle would be a good option!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Does anyone know what the deal is with this fork? I emailed them last week and no response back? I don't want to be waiting to buy something that won't make it to market??

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Per my last discussion with the X-Fusion rep it will be early Q1 before they are on the market.

mtbr member
    The upgraded Slide is also looking quite tasty. 15QR. 120mm travel. Tapered steerer. The only thing I am not too chuffed on is the upper rating of 180mm for rotor size....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Any new information about when they will be available in UK?

mtbr member
    So far their CS has been great. Still no response after 2 weeks of sending an email lol.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've sent 2 emails as well with no reply. Probably not going to happen this year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    The upgraded Slide is also looking quite tasty. 15QR. 120mm travel. Tapered steerer. The only thing I am not too chuffed on is the upper rating of 180mm for rotor size....
    I'm on a Tapered 120mm w/9mm QR Slide right now. Its a great fork. I'm sure only better with a 15QR.

The X-Fusion products are nice. The machined alloy caps/knobs are awesome!

banned
    Oct 2004
    Just a FYI, most mfgs are at Interbike so, expecting prompt email responses from a week prior to a week after is a bit unrealistic.

BUT, I did get a response from John Valera when I asked about the Trace and Vector Air HLR...a couple of weeks ago. He said no pricing yet, at least until after Interbike. No advanced damping (only rebound and lockout, no hi/low spd comp like the HLR) on the initial release...which is a huge bummer (for me)...while Fox is now going back to RC2 I'd prefer to not ride Fox, but looks like I'm stuck w/ them for this next season.

Edit: I wonder if Avy will make a cart for the Fox 34 29er...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sheranian View Post
    I've sent 2 emails as well with no reply. Probably not going to happen this year.
    They told me 2013 when I emailed them months ago, and I expect that hasn't changed. Also, yeah... they are probably at Interbike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I was just at interbike and talked with them about the trace fork. According to them it will be available January 2013. The trace will come in 2 version price tags $750 for non-unicrown, and $850 for the unicrown (Both MSRP Prices). Only Syntace15QR axle system at the moment. (According to him they surveyed and 90% of the population wanted the 15qr), but he said if the need is there for the 20mm TA they will build it.

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting, $850 is not too far off Fox 34 pricing. That's unfortunate.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Again those are MSRP prices, the actual prices that places like jenson will be selling them at will most likely be 100-200 less maybe more. I must say the fork seemed the heaviest out of all of them. I think the 29er was around 4.3-4.5lbs..cant remember exactly. But the 34mm stanchions were rad. Also 2.5max tire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks Friedhouse.That's sucks about no 20.... Did you happen to notice colors? Wondering if they will be both black and white.

MTB B'dos
    Subscribed as I too a, very interested in this fork. Fried, not sure if you've hefted an F34, but they're also not light at nearly 4.5lbs AFAIK. I think that Evasive is right and that while their pricing may only be 20-30% less than similar Fox, they'll be of the same or higher quality, or at least so far with people I know who have their products.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Anybody know if the 140mm option will be available with straight 1-1/8" steerer?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joncmack View Post
    Anybody know if the 140mm option will be available with straight 1-1/8" steerer?
    According to PB, there will be.

The Uni-Crown assembly will only available on X-Fusion's Trace series of 29er forks (there will is standard 1 1/8th option as well) for 2013, but expect it to pop up elsewhere in the lineup down the road.
    X-Fusion Hilo SL - Interbike 2012 - Pinkbike
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Subscribed as I too a, very interested in this fork. Fried, not sure if you've hefted an F34, but they're also not light at nearly 4.5lbs AFAIK. I think that Evasive is right and that while their pricing may only be 20-30% less than similar Fox, they'll be of the same or higher quality, or at least so far with people I know who have their products.
    If you want a light 140mm fork, look at the Revelation 140. Recently bought one (2012 RCT3 20mm Maxle) and was surprised it was only 3 lbs 15 oz with a longer steerer than my Fox 34 Float (4.5ish lbs)

But at the end of the day, I stuck with the Float 34 as the Revelation was a lot more flexy under me, 230 lbs didn't help lol. Plus with its shorter A-2-C, my Honzo just felt weird with it, like it was a size smaller or something. I would have to run a lot more spacers under the stem to get it where I'd like it before with the 34, 25mm rise Chromag OSX bars, 50mm Thomson stem with only a 2.5mm spacer underneath.

It was a good experiment that was always in the back of my mind since I bought a Revelation RLT (and sold before trying) for my bike and getting a Talas 34 and finally a Float 34 and always wondered if the $$$ of the Fox stuff was worth it, especially if there would be such a difference in stiffness between the 32mm and 34mm fork. And price difference was equally shocking between the two, I paid $899 for my Float 34 in black brand new, the Revelation RCT3 was only $385, brand new take off from a SC TB LTc.

Another interesting thing was how much exposed stanchion there is on each fork, the Float 34 has well over 140mm of stanchion showing, but no matter how much I played with the Revelation's Dual Air settings, I was always under 140mm of exposed stanchion, closer to 135mm I'd say. And the fork had no spacers inside as well. I can definitely appreciate the single air set up of the Fox stuff and it was the biggest reason why I got rid of my first Revelation to begin with, especially after finding out Rockshox was ditching it for 2013 and moving forward with Solo Air.

And looks like the Trace fork is even shorter than the Revelation as the Trace's A-2-C is 546mm @ 140mm vs 548mm for the Rockshox, Fox is 552mm.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Any news on this fork?

MTB B'dos
    Yes, you will be able to buy them in 2013, no sooner, or at least that was the last word I got from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    Any news on this fork?

rider
    Jan 2005
    An A-C of 546mm??? If a company is coming late to the party it might be a good idea to match the important standards of the class leader so that buying their offering is a simple bolt on. Since the A-C of the F34 29er is 552.8mm, when set at 140mm travel, X-Fusion is short of the A-C mark that most builders of 140mm capable 29er frames are designing for.

Most riders don't want to throw down for a sweet new frame with a slack HT and then install a shorter fork than it was designed for and thereby steepen the front end.

Now, if this fork can be set at 150mm travel and an A-C of 556mm, I could get stoked about the prospect...

beater
    I can't see getting that worked up over 7mm. Your front tire choice and pressure could vary over at least half that length. And then there's the variable of whether the frame accepts zero stack headsets or not. The geo chart for the Banshee Prime quotes a 546mm a2c. The Marz 44 had a a2c of 547mm, IIRC and while there are too many variables in my experiences to say for certain, I don't think it gives up a lot to the Fox 34. Fox is the class leader, but mostly by default right now. It'll be interesting to see the X-Fusion offering in the wild, and what the 2013 trade shows may bring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I can't see getting that worked up over 7mm.
    I'll second this. It'll give you about 0.3 degrees difference in head angle vs the Fox, and that's at full extension. Where either of these forks sag on average in relation to one another is anyone's guess. I'd also say that frame designers would greatly appreciate the extra 7mm for head tube weld area. Most of these head tubes are beginning to look like a Dixie cup.

mtbr member
    I can't see getting that worked up over 7mm. Your front tire choice and pressure could vary over at least half that length. And then there's the variable of whether the frame accepts zero stack headsets or not. The geo chart for the Banshee Prime quotes a 546mm a2c. The Marz 44 had a a2c of 547mm, IIRC and while there are too many variables in my experiences to say for certain, I don't think it gives up a lot to the Fox 34. Fox is the class leader, but mostly by default right now. It'll be interesting to see the X-Fusion offering in the wild, and what the 2013 trade shows may bring.
    Maybe, maybe not, but I definitely didn't like how my Honzo rode and handled when I tried out a 548mm a2c 140mm RS Revelation on it after a full season with the Fox 34 Float 140mm. It's not much, but I had to take up the difference with spacers below the stem. I didn't like it at all, sold the fork and never looked back.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    It is in fact Fox who has put more height than required on their F34 fork when the others make do with less (well, who knows about how the new forks perform). More than 12mm EXTRA AC for the same travel going from F32 to F34 seems excessive. A shorter AC gives the frame designer more freedom in my opinion. It is not such a great idea to let the fork manufacturer dictate your frame design or HTA. However, spacers under the HT are not cool either.

MTB B'dos
    I'd have to tend to agree that it's Fox who has a too tall A2C compared to all others. I've been happy with my F34, but imagine the A2C were shorter, you can then get more travel without changing the frames geo - as said most of the new bikes are designed around an A2C length of 546mm.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Maybe, maybe not, but I definitely didn't like how my Honzo rode and handled when I tried out a 548mm a2c 140mm RS Revelation on it after a full season with the Fox 34 Float 140mm. It's not much, but I had to take up the difference with spacers below the stem. I didn't like it at all, sold the fork and never looked back.
    29erchico's comment was about a2c and a shorter fork affecting the designed geometry, though, and that action is all underneath the headset. Achieving your preferred stack height is related, but not the same and spacers under the stem won't affect the a2c, obviously. Maybe that's why you didn't like it; I just can't imagine that I'd be that sensitive to it, given all the wiggle room in other variables.

mtbr member
    29erchico's comment was about a2c and a shorter fork affecting the designed geometry, though, and that action is all underneath the headset. Achieving your preferred stack height is related, but not the same and spacers under the stem won't affect the a2c, obviously. Maybe that's why you didn't like it; I just can't imagine that I'd be that sensitive to it, given all the wiggle room in other variables.
    Check out post #38, the bike felt 'smaller' in the cockpit with the Revelation, nothing else has changed but the fork. Weird experiment for sure. Guess I'm just that sensitive.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    eurospek: Didn't you also mention that you measured less than 140mm of stanchion showing on your Rev? Any chance your weren't fealing a 7mm difference but something closer to 17mm?

MTB B'dos
    What other changes did you make when you did the fork swap? Did you move the saddle further back relative to the BB to take into account the steeper STA? Did you put on a shorter stem to bring you back so your cockpit was the same if you moved the saddle? I notice minute changes in bike setup, I have to adjust the angle of my saddle when I go from the "steep" setting to the "slack" setting and that's a 1 degree difference, but I can most assuredly feel the difference in tilt on the saddle. I don't generally worry to change anything with the stem most times, but I can feel it if I do adjust stem/bar height to account for the change in saddle height.

Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Check out post #38, the bike felt 'smaller' in the cockpit with the Revelation, nothing else has changed but the fork. Weird experiment for sure. Guess I'm just that sensitive.

mtbr member
    There are some nice pics of Brian Lopes riding a Ripley with what looks to be pre-production X-Fusion Trace 140 and a Microlite shock on the Ibis website.

simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

beater
    Was there a gun pointed at his head?

mtbr member
    He confirmed his enthusiasm and claimed the Ripley changed his perspective on Twitter.

I'm more of a dog person
    Talked with x-fusion the other day, Trace w/ standard crown will be available mid January. Uni-crown is supposedly still 6+ months out due to technical difficulties. Bit of a bummer.

mtbr member
    That sucks.

mtbr member
    That does indeed suck, I've just provisionally order a Trace 140 but there was no mention of it not having the uni-crown?!

mtbr member
    Apparently the uni-crown is now an option which in my country is an additional £70 on top of the cost of the fork, the standard fork is going to be ready in March with the uni-crowns coming through towards the back end of the month.

mtbr member

X-Fusion Trace 29 140mm

Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Apparently the uni-crown is now an option which in my country is an additional £70 on top of the cost of the fork, the standard fork is going to be ready in March with the uni-crowns coming through towards the back end of the month.
    Hi, where did you find them ? Link ?

Do you know the cheapest trace 140 cost ? I think the simple rl2 w/o uni-crown (?)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean_29 View Post
    Hi, where did you find them ? Link ?

Do you know the cheapest trace 140 cost ? I think the simple rl2 w/o uni-crown (?)
    I spoke to xfusion, the UK distributor and my local bike shop who were able to give me the details I needed.

I'm joining this thread because I'm in the same boat... NO FRIGGIN responses from X-Fusion. Not good and they are dropping the ball... I may go with my other choice from Magura.

I sent them a message on their facebook yesterday about all the comments on their poor customer service, so I'll see if they respond to that.

Last I heard the Trace was rumored to be released in the "last part of Q1" which would be mid-end of March? I also heard it rumored that the gold-slick ano would not be on the forks this year after all. I had my LBS check on the QBP site yesterday and the other forks are listed, but no "trace" of the Trace... not even to put on a watch list.

Step it up X-fusion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Maybe they aren't replying because they have all of you emailing them again and again and again.

Anyways, I have been told from two retailers, one American, one Canada, who both spoke with XFusion in their respective countries, and the North American ETA is March-May (a wide spread, yes, but cut them some slack, they are still a small company). No word on the uni-crown options. Right now, XFusion is apparently backlogged with the popularity of the Slide and dealing with that.

Keep your panties on, it will be here (at least in North America) soon....

beater
    They have a phone number. If you want an answer badly enough to complain about it online, why not call them?

mtbr member
    I've always found xfusion to be excellent with their response times and I'm in the UK and most US companies don't give a hoot about the UK market I've found.

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    Here is the response that I received from them the same day I sent a message via their website regarding the availability of the Trace 140:

We are expecting our 2013 products to arrive early Feb.

Check back in with me then.

Cheers,

John Valera
    X-Fusion-Shox USA
    USA Sales/Service Manager
    155 DuBois St.
    Santa Cruz CA 95060
    Direct: 831.531.4120
    Fax: 831.240.0555
    Cell: 408.505.2836
    jvalera@xfusionshox.com

They responded on the book of faces. I figured it might have been a website issue, but from reading all the previous posts thought maybe they are just bad at responding. I guess not. The Trace will be well worth the wait.

"email usinfo@xfusionshox.com. Website may not have been filtering emails properly. Trace will be available in March, Standard Tapered RL2 model will be MSRP-$579.99"

Amazing price for the spec list.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    More than once I've compared them to Samsung circa ~10 years ago, when they were making products every bit as good as Sony but much cheaper because they didn't have the name recognition. I don't think it'll last, but it's great value now.

mtbr member
    They responded on the book of faces. I figured it might have been a website issue, but from reading all the previous posts thought maybe they are just bad at responding. I guess not. The Trace will be well worth the wait.

"email usinfo@xfusionshox.com. Website may not have been filtering emails properly. Trace will be available in March, Standard Tapered RL2 model will be MSRP-$579.99"

I can't believe that the UK distributor is basically taking the Dollar price and putting a pound sign in front of it, it makes amazing value in the US but not so much over here.

MTB B'dos
    I've also found their responses to be very prompt, almost immediate sometimes, to either e-mails or phone calls. Think Evasive has it right, name isn't so big now, but lots of bang for your $$, hoping their pricing stays relative in terms of the others and doesn't sky rocket into unreal ranges like the others.

I've always found xfusion to be excellent with their response times and I'm in the UK and most US companies don't give a hoot about the UK market I've found.
    Not to sound a smart ass, but isn't that about par for the course on anything sold in Britain as compared to the US? Back in the day when I was into photography I can remember going through the US and then onto Britain and that was pretty much what I found for camera equipment, jeans etc. If you want better prices check with somewhere like CRC who have buying power.
    I can't believe that the UK distributor is basically taking the Dollar price and putting a pound sign in front of it, it makes amazing value in the US but not so much over here.

mtbr member
    I've never received a reply via email, but they have picked up the phone every time that I've called.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member

Not to sound a smart ass, but isn't that about par for the course on anything sold in Britain as compared to the US? Back in the day when I was into photography I can remember going through the US and then onto Britain and that was pretty much what I found for camera equipment, jeans etc. If you want better prices check with somewhere like CRC who have buying power.
    Not to also sound a smart ass but I wouldn't know as I've never tried ordering from the UK whilst living in the US, it is a sucky attitude though and one which should be encouraged in this day and ages where distance shouldn't really act as a boundary to business. Thankfully, as my point suggests, X-Fusion surprised me with their initial willingness to help.

The point I raised about the pricing is a typical problem in the UK, distributors of US brands tend to do the same or very similar practive of simply swapping the $ for a £ but we also have a 20% tax to absorb so it does become difficult to be competitive thanks to the reign of power our crappy governments have had for the past 60 years +!

Anyway this is bordering on the edge of being political and boring, I hope I get to try the X-Fusion Trace's soon but I'm having a hard time justifying when I can get the latest for 34 for just a little bit more...

mtbr member
    Subscribed
    2012 SC Tallboy LTc X9 Talas Build in '13
    Prior bikes: 2012 Camber Comp 29er, 2010 RIP9, 2005 D'ale Prophet/Jekyll

g3h6o3
    Standard Tapered RL2 model will be MSRP-$579.99"

Standard tapered means non unicrown right? I haven't seen that model listed anywhere, and I haven't seen any variant under 600$ yet. This comes in as a pleasant surprise, where can we pre-order? In the mean time, I'm a little skeptical.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

MTB B'dos
    Actually the MSRP I've seen is $549 for the "standard" version, guess we'll have to wait and see what they actually sell for, but no matter, I think excellent bang for your $$ compared to the likes of Fox. Hopefully I'll be bale to do a personal report in a few months times and compare to my Fox F34-140mm.

Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    Standard tapered means non unicrown right? I haven't seen that model listed anywhere, and I haven't seen any variant under 600$ yet. This comes in as a pleasant surprise, where can we pre-order? In the mean time, I'm a little skeptical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Standard Tapered RL2 model will be MSRP-$579.99"

mtbr member
    If they're really going for that cheap I'll be a guinea pig and throw one on the Paradox I'm building. Was looking at a Revelation 140mm instead but have always been interested in trying out X Fusion stuff.

MTB B'dos
    Well I just got one of their Velvet 26"/650B forks in hand and am very impressed with the finish of it. Should have it installed onto the guys bike either tomorrow or day after and will see how it rides. Also just got an older model year 02 RL from them for my Prime and also very impressed with both the finish and performance of it - sits up nicely in it's travel, don't feel it working, but it does and when on the rough, very plush without a bunch of tweaking yet.

Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    If they're really going for that cheap I'll be a guinea pig and throw one on the Paradox I'm building. Was looking at a Revelation 140mm instead but have always been interested in trying out X Fusion stuff.

Actually I was asking them about the Trace... all Trace models come with the unicrown. I think they just meant "standard" as the base model for Trace - the RL2. The RL2"R" comes with the remote lockout, and the RL2 "DLA" has the remote lockout and the down low adjustable travel.

I'm not that skeptical on price... they are a pretty new company yet and trying to get their foot in the door. The only way you can do that is to offer your products at a slim mark-up. Universal Cycles has the X-Fusion 2013 Slide 29er - Tapered Steerer, 120mm Travel, 15mm TA fork listed at $479... that comes with a remote lockout too!

That fork for the spec and price is also tempting me. No 34mm stanchions on that though... but not a big deal to me.

Decisions, decisions...

g3h6o3
    I'm clarifying this with the East Canada distributor by e-mail as we speak. Here is his version :

There is a standard tapered version (non Uni-Crown) but this version is only available to bike manufacturers and only in DLA version
    All other tapered versions are Uni-Crown
    Alternatively, you can have a non Uni-Crown straight 1 1/8 steer tube in either DLA or not
    Then you have color limitations.

Here is the official X-Fusion listing (the last 2 are OEM only) :

Code:
    TRACE RL2             22-SSFTCRL-120-303          TRACE RL2 120                   1 1/8           WHITE
    TRACE RL2             22-SSFTCRL-120-301          TRACE RL2 120                   1 1/8           BLACK
    TRACE RL2             22-SSFTCRLU-120-303         TRACE RL2 120                   UNI-CROWN       BLACK
    TRACE RL2 DLA         22-SSFTCRLD-140-307         TRACE RL2 DLA 110-140           1 1/8           WHITE
    TRACE RL2 DLA         22-SSFTCRLD-140-305         TRACE RL2 DLA 110-140           1 1/8           BLACK
    TRACE RL2 DLA         22-SSFTCRLUD-140-303        TRACE RL2 DLA 110-140           UNI-CROWN       BLACK
    TRACE RL2 DLA         22-SSFTCRLD-140-308         TRACE RL2 DLA 110-140           TAPER           WHITE
    TRACE RL2 DLA         22-SSFTCRLD-140-310         TRACE RL2 DLA 110-140           TAPER           BLACK
    He says they will be available mid march. Thanks to S4 Suspension for clarifying everything out!

Actually I was asking them about the Trace... all Trace models come with the unicrown. I think they just meant "standard" as the base model for Trace - the RL2. The RL2"R" comes with the remote lockout, and the RL2 "DLA" has the remote lockout and the down low adjustable travel.
    Last edited by PissedOffCil; 02-20-2013 at 08:37 AM.

MTB B'dos
    OK, as I thought I had understood and just confirmed, there will be 3 steerer tube options for the TRACE, Straight 1.125", Tapered Press Fit and Tapered Uni-Crown. Straight and Tapered press fit will be the first available with the Uni-Crown coming a bit later, got late March as the expected date to see anything.

I wish they would get their site updated. Still confused where the RL2R comes into play, and if tapered comes in the white with black crown like on their website. Anyone confirm also if the gold slick ano is in or out?

g3h6o3
    OK, as I thought I had understood and just confirmed, there will be 3 steerer tube options for the TRACE, Straight 1.125", Tapered Press Fit and Tapered Uni-Crown. Straight and Tapered press fit will be the first available with the Uni-Crown coming a bit later, got late March as the expected date to see anything.
    The pressed tapered are OEM only I've been told.

I wish they would get their site updated. Still confused where the RL2R comes into play, and if tapered comes in the white with black crown like on their website. Anyone confirm also if the gold slick ano is in or out?
    Been told they are in. The eastern Canada distributor guy I spoke with rode the Vengeance and Hilo SL with the Gold Slick Ano.

mtbr member
    Seems it's available already in Germany, found some pics of the Trace installed on the 2Souls QH.

Looks to be a great alternative to the Fox 34.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Have they ever listed the offset on the Trace? Looks almost like a G2 fork with really pronounced crown offset.

mtbr member

X-Fusion Trace 29 140mm

No gold ano - looks pre-production.

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    Wrench Science is geared up for the RL2...

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    They've been pushed back again...late March.

Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Have they ever listed the offset on the Trace? Looks almost like a G2 fork with really pronounced crown offset.
    Offset is 51mm so the same as G2.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    No gold ano - looks pre-production.

There is no gold ano for 2013 forks, the photos are of a production model.

g3h6o3
    According to their east Canada distributor there is...

MTB B'dos
    Actually sadly Cliff, I just got confirmation directly from John Valera that there will be NO "Gold Slick Ano" on any 2013 products, pushed back to 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by anomaly View Post
    There is no gold ano for 2013 forks, the photos are of a production model.
    According to their east Canada distributor there is...

g3h6o3
    I confirmed with S4 Suspension and he said he spoke with X-Fusion yesterday and they are still confirming Gold Slick Ano for 2013. These rumors are really confusing... One way or another I paid a deposit on mine to be sure to get one ASAP, GSA or not! Should be mid/late march.

MTB B'dos
    You spoke to them and they spoke to someone at X-Fusion, I talked DIRECTLY to John Valera, USA Sales/Service Manager and he told me no 2013 GSA. Now what S4 may be referring to is the fact that you might get product in the year 2013 with GSA, but, it will actually be 2014 product released early.

I confirmed with S4 Suspension and he said he spoke with X-Fusion yesterday and they are still confirming Gold Slick Ano for 2013. These rumors are really confusing... One way or another I paid a deposit on mine to be sure to get one ASAP, GSA or not! Should be mid/late march.

I'm forkless right now and am gonna need one soon. Think I'm gonna say screw it and get a 2013 Slide... those are pretty loaded as well with 15mm axle, 120 travel, remote lockout, tapered... and only $429.

g3h6o3
    You might be right but as far as I know, there is no Trace on the market at the moment, so apart from semantics does it really make a difference if it's 2013 or 2014?

We'll see anyways, I'm only the messenger.

mtbr member
    I'm forkless right now and am gonna need one soon. Think I'm gonna say screw it and get a 2013 Slide... those are pretty loaded as well with 15mm axle, 120 travel, remote lockout, tapered... and only $429.
    Just did the same thing, picked up a 2012 Revelation RCT3 140mm for $423 shipped. I love RS stuff since it performs so well and is so easy to work on but have been itching to try out X Fusion on the last few bikes I've built up. Maybe next time.

JDM
    mtbr member
    I'm shopping for a new 140mm fork for my RIP and it is between the x-fusion and fox. The Marzocchi 44 micro ti i have on there just feels really sticky. I've had it apart (including opening the damper) to change oil and regrease everywhere, but I still don't like how it feels.

The trails are still covered in snow here in NH, so I can afford to wait. I'd love to try (or at least see) an x-fusion before ordering.

MTB B'dos
    It won't be the Trace I'm getting, getting a Velvet to run a 650B front on my Trance, but I'll give my thoughts on it when I get it. Already have a normal straight steerer Velvet for a guys bike and am pretty impressed with how it looks, waiting for a headset before I can install it or I'd have thoughts already - the Velvet I'm getting will be tapered.

Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post
    I'm shopping for a new 140mm fork for my RIP and it is between the x-fusion and fox. The Marzocchi 44 micro ti i have on there just feels really sticky. I've had it apart (including opening the damper) to change oil and regrease everywhere, but I still don't like how it feels.

The trails are still covered in snow here in NH, so I can afford to wait. I'd love to try (or at least see) an x-fusion before ordering.

Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post
    I'm shopping for a new 140mm fork for my RIP and it is between the x-fusion and fox.
    I've been reading negative things about Fox lately and nothing but good things about X-Fusion... and I think for the top dollar model Trace you still wouldn't spend as much as a Fox and would get a much more burly fork. I'm in the same boat as you though wishing they were released so there would be some real-world ride reviews. Right now it is all pre-release ride reviews.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hoping for the Trace RL2 on my new bike. I called today and they said early April. If I can get my bike by the end of the second week of April I guess that will work otherwise I can get a Fox Float 34 for $175 more. Anyone with suggestions - wait or go for the Float 34 with the dumbed down CTD...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by syadasti View Post
    ... I can get a Fox Float 34 for $175 more...
    I must have missed it, did you find pricing on the Trace 29 fork?
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyS600 View Post
    I must have missed it, did you find pricing on the Trace 29 fork?
    Yes I was quoted on prices for a complete bike I was interested in. Any shop should be able to tell you, the fork is on BTI:

BTI | X-Fusion Shox Trace RL2 Air 1.5">1 1/8" 15-D 29" fork, 140mm - black

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 13