Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Rogue Exterminator

X-Fusion Slide RL2

I read the reviews but there are only 2 on this fork.
    I know it will be a hell of a lot better then the pogo stick on my bike now (lowest end suntour)
    In general for a budget fork how is this?

Price wise, it compares to the Recon but feature wise, it seems to compare to the Reba.
    If you were looking at price, would you rather have a Recon or a Slide.

Keep in mind, I am a beginner and do not want to dump a ton of money in this bike (Diamondback Overdrive) and hope to get a much nicer FS29er next year. I just want to make it a little nicer to ride until then.

Thanks

bonked
    IIRC it is basically the 29er version of the Velvet and Enix forks. You can probably more information based on reviews of those forks. My impression of the Enix on my wifes bike is that it is a pretty nice well made single air fork, but I don't personally have any ride time on it. Other people I know in the bike biz are fairly impressed with what X-Fusion has to offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

banned
    Seeing how it appears your at the beginner stages and want to progress and get another bike next year.

Maybe purchase a used steel rigid fork for around $40 and slap a 2.25ish or larger tire on the front. For a 100 dollar bill you have a better front end and far less dissapointment with the current Suntour. The money saved can go towards your next bike.

Do some research on rigid forks. As to how they make you a better rider. Theres enough info here on MTBR to write a half dozen books on the topic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm very happy with the Slide on my Scott. The bike came with a crap suntour fork and I weigh around 250 lbs, the coil fork with close to zero adjustment just plain didn't work for me.

For someone who needs the adjust-ability and control of an air fork without spending too much I'd recommend the Slide every time.

However, if you are planning to upgrade your bike in a year, I wouldn't bother as you wont get your money back (unless you plan to swap the fork to the new bike). I bought my bike knowing I was going to replace the fork after a few months, but was and still am happy with everything else on the bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I just replaced the Fox Float RL (100mm) on my Trek HiFi, and I couldn't be happier. The X-Fusion is an upgrade in every aspect of the fork. The travel seems to be a true 120mm, whereas the Fox would struggle to give 80mm, let alone 100mm. It slackens the bike a little bit, but that's OK with me since it actually handles better now. The lock-out works great on the climbs I do here in Colorado, too. For $300, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by gribbles View Post
    However, if you are planning to upgrade your bike in a year, I wouldn't bother as you wont get your money back (unless you plan to swap the fork to the new bike). I bought my bike knowing I was going to replace the fork after a few months, but was and still am happy with everything else on the bike.
    I don't plan on getting rid of the current bike when I upgrade.
    Next bike will be a full suspension and I want to keep hard tail.

That being said, upgrade won't go to waste.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Troll View Post
    Seeing how it appears your at the beginner stages and want to progress and get another bike next year.

Maybe purchase a used steel rigid fork for around $40 and slap a 2.25ish or larger tire on the front. For a 100 dollar bill you have a better front end and far less dissapointment with the current Suntour. The money saved can go towards your next bike.

Do some research on rigid forks. As to how they make you a better rider. Theres enough info here on MTBR to write a half dozen books on the topic.
    I get what you are saying but my area just really isn't suitable for rigid forks IMO.
    Sure, there are a few that run them but very few and you don't see them on the harder trails. In fact, you mostly see full suspension bikes around here.

(I live in the mountains of Western NC near Asheville.)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I don't plan on getting rid of the current bike when I upgrade.
    Next bike will be a full suspension and I want to keep hard tail.

That being said, upgrade won't go to waste.
    then go for it, you won't be disappointed

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just wondering what you ended up doing. I just finished installing this fork on my Spec HR and only riding it around the yard it seems stiffer but soaks up the real bumps 10x better than the suntour. I plan to trail it later in the week and hope to be pleasantly suprised.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bills10HR View Post
    Just wondering what you ended up doing. I just finished installing this fork on my Spec HR and only riding it around the yard it seems stiffer but soaks up the real bumps 10x better than the suntour. I plan to trail it later in the week and hope to be pleasantly suprised.
    Crashed the first bike and got a different hard tail with another crappy Suntour but not as crappy. Plan on getting the Rock Shox Reba when I get the fork but will still consider the slide or recon if I find a slamming deal.

Anything will have to wait til after Christmas.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've got a Slide on my HT and love it. Impressed with the quality of the ride. The weight of the fork is excellent as well and it dropped significant weight from a cheaper fork.

I'm sure there are better forks out there but not in the same price range.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    After a few rides I really like the fork, I am still fine tuning the fork but it is so much better than the Suntour it replaced. The Suntour would flex and twist so bad it never felt like I could be assured the bike would go where it was pointed, it seems much more accurate/planted now. I think this fork and good wheels would make a world of difference as now it appears most of my flex is in the wheels. For less than $250 I feel it was well worth it. This is without even pushing it yet, my last few rides were at a relaxed pace with my wife.

Forgot to add that the lower weight is definitely a plus, its easier to loft my 23" monster over stuff. I also changed out the bars and stem at the same time though (heavy stock steel bars were a joke).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    A little update, I set the sag up to about 23mm (fork is set for 100mm travel) and went riding yesterday. We had one of our rare rain showers the night before so the trail was faster than usual. I hit a jump much hotter than usual and landed hard front wheel first and the fork took it like a champ. I compressed the fork to 94mm and it never flinched. I am pretty sure I would have folded my suntour I hit so hard. I did knock my front wheel out of round and loosened up a bunch of spokes but the fork was awesome.

mtbr member
    I had a Reba (tuned by Push), but sold it when I sold a frameset. It was replaced by the X Fusion Slide. To be honest, they feel very, very similar--and the X fusion is quieter (the Reba always had some compression noise).

Price dependent, I would pick the X fusion.

Price independent, I would still probably pick the X fusion.
    WTB: Specialized AWOL frameset, XL

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I really like my Slide, but I feel there's a bit of flex. I'm a big guy at 230 lbs and it's the 9mm qr version. The new ones with 15mm TA should be really great. Mine soaks up everything really well. Big hits and trail chatter alike. I'm converting my hub to a 9mm TA in the hopes it stiffens it up a bit. I'll report back after my rides this week.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It's good to see another company bringing out quality options for suspension. I'm building up a Cannondale Lexi for my wife and were using a 1.5" velvet fork as well as the xfusion rear shock. Looking forward to her riding it to see the difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm in Maryland and we have a mix of different terrain to ride. You will not go wrong with X-fusion. That is it, Period !

Of course Fox products are sweet, but for the same quality in many areas...and with X-fusion's innovative approaches to simplifying travel it is an Awesome Deal.

I'm dumping my Fox Talas off on my cousin...I ride X-fusion now.

mtbr member
    great post , I'm looking at replacing the Sunturd as well , the Slide looks to be the ticket
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful

mtbr member
    I got a 2012 slide a couple weeks ago. Low $ on the 2012's now. It's a great fork. It's on my single speed, and with ~ 80 psi I don't really need the lockout. Very good value thus far. Very nice on the trial. (my only point of comparison is my 2006 WB Magic 100, which I also really like)

mtbr member
    I just picked up a 2013 Slide 120 QR15 from Universal Cycles. My initial impressions are all positive. The fork looks great, and the build quality is nice. The lockout seems very firm. I hope to give it a shakedown ride in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    I just picked up a 2013 Slide 120 QR15 from Universal Cycles.
    I would be saying DITTO right now, I ordered the same exact fork through UC, but QBP sent me a 2012 instead of 2013. Grrr. Oh well, still snow on the ground. Let me know how you like it. I couldn't wait around anymore for the Trace... seems like it is never going to be released, so went Slide. I've heard it is very comparable to a RS Reba, maybe better build even. I had a SID and didn't like it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

X-Fusion Slide RL2

Is the Trace lighter?

mtbr member
    Doubt it. More travel generally means burlier - to me at least.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    I got a 2012 slide a couple weeks ago. Low $ on the 2012's now.)
    where did you get the slide , and how much ? , best I found was on Amazon for $299.00
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Is the Trace lighter?
    About the same weight... for same travel, but much stronger. Has 34mm stanchions over the Slide's (and standard) 32, and has a one-piece crown "that increases chassis strength at that junction by over 50%"

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
    where did you get the slide , and how much ? , best I found was on Amazon for $299.00
    Universal Cycles has both 2012 and 2013. AEBike also has them.

If you sign up for the Universal Cycles newsletter I think they still give you a 15% off coupon. If you sign up for AEBike you get across the entire website discounts which show when you log in.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast