Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 244
  1. #1
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956

    X-Fusion Slide RL2

    I read the reviews but there are only 2 on this fork.
    I know it will be a hell of a lot better then the pogo stick on my bike now (lowest end suntour)
    In general for a budget fork how is this?

    Price wise, it compares to the Recon but feature wise, it seems to compare to the Reba.
    If you were looking at price, would you rather have a Recon or a Slide.

    Keep in mind, I am a beginner and do not want to dump a ton of money in this bike (Diamondback Overdrive) and hope to get a much nicer FS29er next year. I just want to make it a little nicer to ride until then.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    bonked
    Reputation: IF52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,129
    IIRC it is basically the 29er version of the Velvet and Enix forks. You can probably more information based on reviews of those forks. My impression of the Enix on my wifes bike is that it is a pretty nice well made single air fork, but I don't personally have any ride time on it. Other people I know in the bike biz are fairly impressed with what X-Fusion has to offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation: Mojo Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,095
    Seeing how it appears your at the beginner stages and want to progress and get another bike next year.

    Maybe purchase a used steel rigid fork for around $40 and slap a 2.25ish or larger tire on the front. For a 100 dollar bill you have a better front end and far less dissapointment with the current Suntour. The money saved can go towards your next bike.

    Do some research on rigid forks. As to how they make you a better rider. Theres enough info here on MTBR to write a half dozen books on the topic.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6
    I'm very happy with the Slide on my Scott. The bike came with a crap suntour fork and I weigh around 250 lbs, the coil fork with close to zero adjustment just plain didn't work for me.

    For someone who needs the adjust-ability and control of an air fork without spending too much I'd recommend the Slide every time.

    However, if you are planning to upgrade your bike in a year, I wouldn't bother as you wont get your money back (unless you plan to swap the fork to the new bike). I bought my bike knowing I was going to replace the fork after a few months, but was and still am happy with everything else on the bike.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smmokan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,366
    I just replaced the Fox Float RL (100mm) on my Trek HiFi, and I couldn't be happier. The X-Fusion is an upgrade in every aspect of the fork. The travel seems to be a true 120mm, whereas the Fox would struggle to give 80mm, let alone 100mm. It slackens the bike a little bit, but that's OK with me since it actually handles better now. The lock-out works great on the climbs I do here in Colorado, too. For $300, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

  6. #6
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by gribbles View Post
    However, if you are planning to upgrade your bike in a year, I wouldn't bother as you wont get your money back (unless you plan to swap the fork to the new bike). I bought my bike knowing I was going to replace the fork after a few months, but was and still am happy with everything else on the bike.
    I don't plan on getting rid of the current bike when I upgrade.
    Next bike will be a full suspension and I want to keep hard tail.

    That being said, upgrade won't go to waste.

  7. #7
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Troll View Post
    Seeing how it appears your at the beginner stages and want to progress and get another bike next year.

    Maybe purchase a used steel rigid fork for around $40 and slap a 2.25ish or larger tire on the front. For a 100 dollar bill you have a better front end and far less dissapointment with the current Suntour. The money saved can go towards your next bike.

    Do some research on rigid forks. As to how they make you a better rider. Theres enough info here on MTBR to write a half dozen books on the topic.
    I get what you are saying but my area just really isn't suitable for rigid forks IMO.
    Sure, there are a few that run them but very few and you don't see them on the harder trails. In fact, you mostly see full suspension bikes around here.

    (I live in the mountains of Western NC near Asheville.)

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I don't plan on getting rid of the current bike when I upgrade.
    Next bike will be a full suspension and I want to keep hard tail.

    That being said, upgrade won't go to waste.
    then go for it, you won't be disappointed

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    31
    Just wondering what you ended up doing. I just finished installing this fork on my Spec HR and only riding it around the yard it seems stiffer but soaks up the real bumps 10x better than the suntour. I plan to trail it later in the week and hope to be pleasantly suprised.

  10. #10
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Bills10HR View Post
    Just wondering what you ended up doing. I just finished installing this fork on my Spec HR and only riding it around the yard it seems stiffer but soaks up the real bumps 10x better than the suntour. I plan to trail it later in the week and hope to be pleasantly suprised.
    Crashed the first bike and got a different hard tail with another crappy Suntour but not as crappy. Plan on getting the Rock Shox Reba when I get the fork but will still consider the slide or recon if I find a slamming deal.

    Anything will have to wait til after Christmas.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    108
    I've got a Slide on my HT and love it. Impressed with the quality of the ride. The weight of the fork is excellent as well and it dropped significant weight from a cheaper fork.

    I'm sure there are better forks out there but not in the same price range.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    31
    After a few rides I really like the fork, I am still fine tuning the fork but it is so much better than the Suntour it replaced. The Suntour would flex and twist so bad it never felt like I could be assured the bike would go where it was pointed, it seems much more accurate/planted now. I think this fork and good wheels would make a world of difference as now it appears most of my flex is in the wheels. For less than $250 I feel it was well worth it. This is without even pushing it yet, my last few rides were at a relaxed pace with my wife.

    Forgot to add that the lower weight is definitely a plus, its easier to loft my 23" monster over stuff. I also changed out the bars and stem at the same time though (heavy stock steel bars were a joke).

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    31
    A little update, I set the sag up to about 23mm (fork is set for 100mm travel) and went riding yesterday. We had one of our rare rain showers the night before so the trail was faster than usual. I hit a jump much hotter than usual and landed hard front wheel first and the fork took it like a champ. I compressed the fork to 94mm and it never flinched. I am pretty sure I would have folded my suntour I hit so hard. I did knock my front wheel out of round and loosened up a bunch of spokes but the fork was awesome.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seat_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,292
    I had a Reba (tuned by Push), but sold it when I sold a frameset. It was replaced by the X Fusion Slide. To be honest, they feel very, very similar--and the X fusion is quieter (the Reba always had some compression noise).

    Price dependent, I would pick the X fusion.

    Price independent, I would still probably pick the X fusion.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    468
    I really like my Slide, but I feel there's a bit of flex. I'm a big guy at 230 lbs and it's the 9mm qr version. The new ones with 15mm TA should be really great. Mine soaks up everything really well. Big hits and trail chatter alike. I'm converting my hub to a 9mm TA in the hopes it stiffens it up a bit. I'll report back after my rides this week.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    108
    It's good to see another company bringing out quality options for suspension. I'm building up a Cannondale Lexi for my wife and were using a 1.5" velvet fork as well as the xfusion rear shock. Looking forward to her riding it to see the difference.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    13
    I'm in Maryland and we have a mix of different terrain to ride. You will not go wrong with X-fusion. That is it, Period !

    Of course Fox products are sweet, but for the same quality in many areas...and with X-fusion's innovative approaches to simplifying travel it is an Awesome Deal.

    I'm dumping my Fox Talas off on my cousin...I ride X-fusion now.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Richard_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    191
    great post , I'm looking at replacing the Sunturd as well , the Slide looks to be the ticket
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    136
    I got a 2012 slide a couple weeks ago. Low $ on the 2012's now. It's a great fork. It's on my single speed, and with ~ 80 psi I don't really need the lockout. Very good value thus far. Very nice on the trial. (my only point of comparison is my 2006 WB Magic 100, which I also really like)

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Captain_America1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,124
    I just picked up a 2013 Slide 120 QR15 from Universal Cycles. My initial impressions are all positive. The fork looks great, and the build quality is nice. The lockout seems very firm. I hope to give it a shakedown ride in the next few days.

  21. #21
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    I just picked up a 2013 Slide 120 QR15 from Universal Cycles.
    I would be saying DITTO right now, I ordered the same exact fork through UC, but QBP sent me a 2012 instead of 2013. Grrr. Oh well, still snow on the ground. Let me know how you like it. I couldn't wait around anymore for the Trace... seems like it is never going to be released, so went Slide. I've heard it is very comparable to a RS Reba, maybe better build even. I had a SID and didn't like it.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,152

    X-Fusion Slide RL2

    Is the Trace lighter?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shalom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,006
    Doubt it. More travel generally means burlier - to me at least.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Richard_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    I got a 2012 slide a couple weeks ago. Low $ on the 2012's now.)
    where did you get the slide , and how much ? , best I found was on Amazon for $299.00
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful

  25. #25
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Is the Trace lighter?
    About the same weight... for same travel, but much stronger. Has 34mm stanchions over the Slide's (and standard) 32, and has a one-piece crown "that increases chassis strength at that junction by over 50%"

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
    where did you get the slide , and how much ? , best I found was on Amazon for $299.00
    Universal Cycles has both 2012 and 2013. AEBike also has them.

    If you sign up for the Universal Cycles newsletter I think they still give you a 15% off coupon. If you sign up for AEBike you get across the entire website discounts which show when you log in.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Captain_America1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,124
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    I would be saying DITTO right now, I ordered the same exact fork through UC, but QBP sent me a 2012 instead of 2013. Grrr.
    After I saw your post I took a closer look at my fork, and I was in the same boat. I contacted UC, and they said even though it looks like a 12 it's really a 13. I contacted X-Fusion, and they did confirm their first batch of 13 forks went out with 12 decals and manuals. I sent them a pic of the label to confirm that it is a 13.

    On a side note, I rode the fork last night, and I was overall impressed. I want to lower the pressure a bit, and ride it again.

  27. #27
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    Thats sounds weird to me... like QBP is just trying to get rid of the 2012 stock or something. Mine had the 2012 book and it was 2012 graphics, and 2012 on the box UPC. I don't actually think X-Fusion changed anything on the Slide from 12 to 13 anyway... just graphics? I really don't know though... I just like the 13 graphics better... I'm superficial like that

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shalom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,006
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Thats sounds weird to me... like QBP is just trying to get rid of the 2012 stock or something. Mine had the 2012 book and it was 2012 graphics, and 2012 on the box UPC. I don't actually think X-Fusion changed anything on the Slide from 12 to 13 anyway... just graphics? I really don't know though... I just like the 13 graphics better... I'm superficial like that
    Graphics change, but '13 also gets options like tapered sneerers and 15mm thru axles (and the various permutations there of).

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Captain_America1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,124
    X-Fusion confirmed that mine is a 13. I should have been able to figure it out on my own because it has a QR15

  30. #30
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    X-Fusion confirmed that mine is a 13. I should have been able to figure it out on my own because it has a QR15
    Hey, did you get yours through Universal Cycles as well? SO... I just got off the phone with Universal and they are still trying to sort it out, but it wasn't a QBP error... it is an X-Fusion error. Supposedly a bunch of 2012 forks with manuals with 2013 boxes and/or item numbers. What a mess.

    2012 Slide did have tapered option and 15mm axle. Not thrilled about my first experience with X-Fusion so far, hopefully the fork works better than their organization.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    41
    Does anyone notice a lot of stiction with the Slide? It doesn't affect performance at all, since after the very first bump it's gone, but it does seem to have more stiction than the RS Reba on my other bike, or the Recon it replaced.
    Last edited by Golden_Monkey; 03-27-2013 at 11:05 AM.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Captain_America1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,124
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Hey, did you get yours through Universal Cycles as well? SO... I just got off the phone with Universal and they are still trying to sort it out, but it wasn't a QBP error... it is an X-Fusion error. Supposedly a bunch of 2012 forks with manuals with 2013 boxes and/or item numbers. What a mess.

    2012 Slide did have tapered option and 15mm axle. Not thrilled about my first experience with X-Fusion so far, hopefully the fork works better than their organization.
    I got mine through Universal. Its a 120 with straight steer tube and QR15. Honestly it doesn't bother me much. According to X-Fusion I got what I paid for. I don't care if it has the 12 graphics on it. My ride experience so far is positive.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    34
    You can also get the X-Fusion Slide RL2 29er fork at ebay for as low as $250 depending on the travel and steerer dimension.
    items in X-Fusion Slide RL2 29er store on eBay!

  34. #34
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    My ride experience so far is positive.
    Good to hear! The reviews of all X-Fusion forks across the board are all positive... so I'm sure it will be worth it. I bet the price will go up on all of them when the company gets a little more organized and well-known. Then we will be missing the days of affordable X-fusion forks with the occasional mix-up

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    31
    After a few hundred miles on mine I love it, my only complaint is that the fork is on the firmer side and I have to run much lower pressure than I expected. With that being said I am a rider who likes the plush feeling more.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Bills10HR View Post
    After a few hundred miles on mine I love it, my only complaint is that the fork is on the firmer side and I have to run much lower pressure than I expected. With that being said I am a rider who likes the plush feeling more.
    I noticed that too. I'll try a lower pressure than usual.

  37. #37
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    Heard from the distributor today. X-Fusion put 2012 decals on the 2013 Slide RL2's. This isn't cool of X-fusion, not fair to the customer or the distributors. I don't like the graphics on the 12 and only ordered the Slide because they have pushed the Trace release date back like 5 times. There's no way they should be telling people they will get the 13 fork the way it looks online and then send them one with different graphics. Call it trivial, but you don't advertise something for sale and then switch it or not deliver what the customer orders. Unprofessional of them and I'm really disappointed.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    10,589
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Heard from the distributor today. X-Fusion put 2012 decals on the 2013 Slide RL2's. This isn't cool of X-fusion, not fair to the customer or the distributors. I don't like the graphics on the 12 and only ordered the Slide because they have pushed the Trace release date back like 5 times. There's no way they should be telling people they will get the 13 fork the way it looks online and then send them one with different graphics. Call it trivial, but you don't advertise something for sale and then switch it or not deliver what the customer orders. Unprofessional of them and I'm really disappointed.
    Sounds like salesman speak. If the 13s are unchanged just tell the customer his fork is new with old decals. Best way to check is the serial number on the fork. It should have a 13 specific component or cutoff number for model change.

    Order a new set of decals and replace.
    Last edited by eb1888; 03-29-2013 at 07:01 AM.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,152

    X-Fusion Slide RL2

    You guys with those old stickers really got screwed, might want to contact the BBB.
    Last edited by SS Hack; 03-29-2013 at 06:38 AM.

  40. #40
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    Just got off the phone again. I'm taking store credit and getting a White Brothers fork... done with X-Fusion. NOW the 2013 Slide forks that you see online and the RL2R's with the remote are pushed back to June! Universal Cycles told me they have 3 other people they are dealing with the same issue now, so 4 Slide forks returned to them. Not good.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Richard_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    191
    I'm kind of glad I went with the Recon now
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,122
    I just purchased a 2012 Slide RL2 for 280 shipped....heck i'm excited about dropping that 1lb from the bike let alone the smoothness. My Scott Scale will now be complete......for now lol.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,122
    I've never owned an air fork before....am I going to need a special pump for the Slide RL2?

  44. #44
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    You should get one with it, but don't quote me on that. Otherwise any high pressure fork/shock pump will work.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,122
    dang, well i ordered one anyways to prevent not having one when i needed it.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,152

    X-Fusion Slide RL2

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
    I'm kind of glad I went with the Recon now
    Much better stickers.

  47. #47
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Much better stickers.
    Hey what kind of bike(s) do you ride? I hope they aren't painted or have decals on them... since that doesn't matter... RIGHT??? Give it a rest... appearance and performance go hand in hand.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Richard_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Much better stickers.
    yep , and the stickers are lighter
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful

  49. #49
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,583
    Bull SHEET Kaptain K, rigid fork or bust!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Captain_America1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,124
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Hey what kind of bike(s) do you ride? I hope they aren't painted or have decals on them... since that doesn't matter... RIGHT??? Give it a rest... appearance and performance go hand in hand.
    I don't care how my fork looks if it performs like it should. I am also one to not really care about the paint etc on my bike. It's a mountain bike that gets ridden hard. It show on the frame, fork, cranks etc.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •