mtbr member
    Apr 2012

X-Fusion Shock on Trek Mamba

Posted the same question on the Trek forum but thought I'd put it up here too.

I'm thinking of upgrading the fork (Rock Shox XC32 TK). It still works but it is so damn heavy and I'd like to help cut down some weight on it. Already upgraded the wheels to bontrager rhythm comps which made a huge difference (I'll be going tubeless soon as well once the tires I have been worn out).

What am I wondering is, will the X fusion slide forks be compatible with my bike? I only have a skewer (no axle) on the wheels, and my Mamba has that G2 offset to it. Thanks.

MTB B'dos
    Not 100% sure on their offsets on the forks, but I think it's only 46 or 48mm, not the 51mm your current fork would have, as to will it work with your wheels, yes, they have a 9mm QR (standard QR) option for that fork. Best bet is to give them a call and ask about the offset and any other questions you have, they have good customer service.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Someone made a list here of offsets but xfusion is not listed on it. Seems like the standard is 46 but there are a few that are less (white brothers). I'm going to upgrade my marlin soon and am 99% sure I'm going to get a Manitou which is between a standard and G2 at 48mm offset.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That's good to know. I just shot them an e-mail asking the same questions and we'll see what they say.

Talking to some other people, they say the off set SHOULDN'T be an issues as a few millimeters won't change anything to drastic, the bike might just be a little more quick to react. Which actually might be good for up here in New England where I'm contorting around trees and rocks. Thanks for the answer. Do you ride X-fusion? What do you think of it?

mtbr member
    look around the g2 discussions. I believe having a smaller offset is going to give you the opposite effect. Its going to be more sluggish in tight turns. Its definitely a personal thing, some people claim they notice very little change, some say they noticed it and adjusted, so say they prefer it.

The only thing that sucks is that you can't try it before you buy it

MTB B'dos
    Those "other people" are dead wrong, your steering will definitely slow down, as Hank said. As to it only being a "few MM" and not making much difference, that's BS. When I moved from my Paradox with 120mm Minute and 48mm offset (20mm TA version has 48mm, QR uses 46mm) and went to my Prime with 140mm F34 with 51mm offset I could not believe how it handled compared to the Paradox despite it's more than a degree slacker HTA it steered almost the same - all that is compliments to those "few MM".

Quote Originally Posted by KevinShoes View Post
    That's good to know. I just shot them an e-mail asking the same questions and we'll see what they say.

Talking to some other people, they say the off set SHOULDN'T be an issues as a few millimeters won't change anything to drastic, the bike might just be a little more quick to react. Which actually might be good for up here in New England where I'm contorting around trees and rocks. Thanks for the answer. Do you ride X-fusion? What do you think of it?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Please update with what they tell you. I'm interested to know the offset on that as well

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I contacted Fox about needing a G2 fork and this is what I got into response.

Hello,

We do not currently produce any G2 (51mm offset) forks for aftermarket sale, but it is possible for our technicians to install a G2 crown assembly on an aftermarket fork before it is shipped to the customer.

Thanks,

FOX
    915 Disc Dr., Scotts Valley, CA 95066
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I have seen this in another post. What does this really do for the fork that's a 46mm? Thanks for any info