mtbr member

X-Fusion rear shock upgrade

Novice question here, with my apologies.

I have a 2012 Scalpel (alloy 4, not the lefty), and it has the stock X-Fusion E1 Rl shock on it. I'm trying to find specs on it, but Cannondale's website only lists the name. I'm not sure what measurements/mount types I need to replace it.

I'm looking at the Fox Float RP23, which is in my budget:

Fox Suspension Float RP23 Rear Shock | Chain Reaction Cycles

Or the Float CTD:

Fox Float CTD Remote Shock 2013 | Fox Racing Shox | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

The site lists it as 215mm length and 64mm "size", but honestly I don't know exactly what the 64mm is referring to - and if this will fit on my bike or not.

Would anyone happen to know some details on this? I just don't want to buy something that won't fit, but can't find any specs on my bike that would indicate what I should be looking for.

Cheers!

Edit: Did some digging - my shock is about 6" long (150mm), with 2.5" of stroke. So it does look like I need a 65mm stroke, but the 215mm Fox shocks would be about 8" long, which (I think?) is way too big for my bike.

Does that sound right? So I need a ~150mm shock with 64mm of stroke?
    // Chris - Boston, MA
    // '13 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy
    Metalguitarist.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Here you go. Shocks are usually listed as Extended Length x Stroke.

shock length?

The shock "tune" also needs to be matched to the frame. This indicates how much damping the shock has and is usually indicated as "High", "Medium" or "Low" for both the compression and rebound. For example, a MM shock has Medium/Medium compression and rebound. Short answer is that getting an aftermarket shock takes some research. I'd try calling Fox directly and chatting with them about what shock would work best. What exactly is it you don't like about your current shock?

mtbr member
    Thanks very much!

I re-measured my shock and it's 6.5" eye to eye, so that thread appears to be spot on.

Truthfully, I'm just getting my tax returns and wanted to upgrade a few shiny bits on the bike, and while I haven't had any issues with the X-Fusion, I know it's a relatively cheap part and figured it was worth tossing a bit of money at.

Much appreciated!

Edit: So it looks like this guy should be the ticket, unless I'm missing something else that's obvious.

Fox Float CTD Rear Shock 2014 | Fox Racing Shox | Brand | www.PricePoint.com
    // Chris - Boston, MA
    // '13 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy
    Metalguitarist.org