mtbr member
    Mar 2009

WTB Weirwolf 2.5 or Bronson 2.2?

Looking for new tubeless tires to go on my Soma Juice. Wheels are Easton EA90 XC's. Easton's website says the 19mm width will easily work with tires up to 2.35. Not sure how the 2.5's would do on there. I do like the tread pattern of the Weirwolf, not sure if the Bronson would be too aggressive for a hardtail XC bike. Any input on either of these tires? I'm able to get a deal on WTB through work which is why I'm looking into these. Thanks.

Did I catch a niner?
    WWLT is more like a 2.3. I had one on the rear tubeless on a flow and I will say the sidewall flexed like crazy, had to keep it above 30psi. I also have the Bronsons (go figure) and I will say they're a bear to setup tubeless at least for me anyways, took 3 scoops of stan's to finally get them to not leak through the sidewall anymore. I currently just have it as a front tire and the reviews are pretty positive on them. Seem to be a solid all around tire. Nice volume seem true to size.

If it is the new WWLT it is no longer LT and as I understand 900g+ which I think is just too heavy of a tire, you can get a big fat ardent for less weight and more grip (better sidewall to).

If you can get the tubeless ready set of Bronson's do it will be a lot easier to setup mine are not.

Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

NedwannaB

Rigid?Fr Susp?

Quote Originally Posted by ajdemo76 View Post
    Looking for new tubeless tires to go on my Soma Juice. Wheels are Easton EA90 XC's. Easton's website says the 19mm width will easily work with tires up to 2.35. Not sure how the 2.5's would do on there. I do like the tread pattern of the Weirwolf, not sure if the Bronson would be too aggressive for a hardtail XC bike. Any input on either of these tires? I'm able to get a deal on WTB through work which is why I'm looking into these. Thanks.
    Trail conditions? 2.5's on xc? Just trying to figure out your set up. If it was the LT2.55 you were talking about then I'd say yeah they'd be fine (I'd run them f/r on my ht if I could find some for this Summer). I currently am running non-TCS 2.2 Bronson up front/2.3 Exiwolf in back, tubeless on Arch rims with no setup or use issues so far (surprised that Mr pink had issues setting his up on Flows?).
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Rope stretcher
    Apr 2004
    I am running the new Weirewolf 2.5 TCS. It is not huge more like a 2.3. My actual tire weights 750g & 760g were significantly less than the 900g per WTB. Setting up tubeless w/ Stan's was easy, set the bead w/ a floor pump.

After 1/2 dozen rides I like them, they roll pretty fast, good climbing traction, rip anything loose and are fine on hardpack/rocks. I could not find much info when I got them so I tossed a coin between these and the Bronson.

HTFU and Ride
    The new WW is quite a bit lighter than my Ardent 2.4 and a grippier compound. However, like like2ride said, it is closer to a 2.3.

With narrower rims I think I would still go with the narrower tire, even the slimmer WW is going to be sloppy on that rim at comfortable pressures IMO. Also, if you have ever rolled a fat tire off of a narrow rim on a ripping downhill then you know what I'm talking about
    Winter is coming.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdemo76 View Post
    As a top of the line all-arounder, you might consider the Nobby Nics (come in 2.25 and 2.35 SS tubeless ready). My 2.35's weigh 720 and 740. Your narrow rim will probably round out such a large tire, so the 2.25's might be a better consideration (they are 650g).

Scroll down in this post to see test results of some 29"er tires: Tire test results from german "bike" magazine

BB

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by like2ride View Post
    I am running the new Weirewolf 2.5 TCS. It is not huge more like a 2.3. My actual tire weights 750g & 760g were significantly less than the 900g per WTB. Setting up tubeless w/ Stan's was easy, set the bead w/ a floor pump.
    Yes, my 2.5s measured 52mm casing wdith and 53mm knob width on an Enve AM rim. that's a 2.1" tire. They take the prize for most fraudulent width rating.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Smallblock 8's are the only tires I've had on this bike and not setup tubeless. Ready for tubeless now and would like a more aggressive tread anyways.

Rope stretcher
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsj View Post
    Yes, my 2.5s measured 52mm casing wdith and 53mm knob width on an Enve AM rim. that's a 2.1" tire. They take the prize for most fraudulent width rating.
    You're right!
    I eyeballed it w/ Geax Saguaro 2.2 and they looked a hair smaller, so I busted out the micrometer:
    @30psi on DT 520SL (26mm outer)

Casing: 55 (WTB 57)
    Tread: 55 (WTB 55)
    Why WTB is calling it a 2.5 not a 2.2? Last I checked their were 25.4mm per inch.

The funny thing is WTB's - GMS measurements are correct on their website and sidewall. WTB Products – Tires – 29er – Weirwolf 2.5 LT 29
    I remember reading WTB numbers are based on 60psi/20mm rim for 24 hrs.

Funnier: "GMS A Nod To Accuracy": WTB GMS: A Nod to Accuracy WTB

Even though the numbers are funny (always have been in the tire world) they are still good tires. My guess is the Designers got the tire they wanted and the Marketing dept. thinks 2.5 looks better than 2.2 in big letters printed on the sidewall?

Keep on Rockin...
    Go with a faster tread pattern on the rear. Like I eluded to in my last post, too bad WTB stopped making the WWLT 2.55 - the king daddy 29er rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coachjon View Post
    The new WW is quite a bit lighter than my Ardent 2.4 and a grippier compound. However, like like2ride said, it is closer to a 2.3.

With narrower rims I think I would still go with the narrower tire, even the slimmer WW is going to be sloppy on that rim at comfortable pressures IMO. Also, if you have ever rolled a fat tire off of a narrow rim on a ripping downhill then you know what I'm talking about
    Hi, how narrow is narrow? thanks.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

mtbr member
    Digging up an old thread here but thought I'd chime in on my experiences on my Niner EMD9:

Running 29er TCS 2.3 Bronson's front/2.5 WWLT's rear... After about 100 miles of varied (dry and rocky, dusty and loose, high alpine terra firma) terrain in Colorado (Denver, Golden, Crested Butte, etc) I can say I am vey please with this combo. Haven't had the chance to set them up tubeless yet, but this combo climbs, descends, corners and rolls great.

Almost went with a Wolverine in the back, very happy with the WWLT 2.5 instead. (BTW it is no wider than the Bronson 2.3 upfront, maybe even a hair narrower).

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    Weirwolf LT 29 tubeless is a 2.3 at best, it is also about 28.5 " absolutely impossible to mount on stans 355 rim. definitely not a high volume tire like the old 2.55 LT's.
    I've been inside too long.

TR
    Angry bunny
    If you want some decent size on the front I would take the Hans Dampf over the Bronson.
    Bronson is significantly smaller than the HD.
    I really like my Bronson on the rear though.

usually cranky
    does anybody actually have a picture of the new weirwolf? info on it is almost non existantant.

usually cranky
    just ordered a weirwolf. found a couple favorable reviews on it, for $60 inc. shipping what the hell. should be here (hopefully) next week, i will post some impressions.

usually cranky
    *update* just got the tire, tried to put it on my dt m520 rim and it would not fit. not even close. returning it now. otherwise it looked like a fast tire that would hook up well, knobs were a hair lower than a spec purg 2.2.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    *update* just got the tire, tried to put it on my dt m520 rim and it would not fit. not even close. returning it now. otherwise it looked like a fast tire that would hook up well, knobs were a hair lower than a spec purg 2.2.
    I need to clarify that I am running WTB Frequency TCS rims, so maybe thats why I didn't have any problems installing my tires.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by KgB View Post
    Weirwolf LT 29 tubeless is a 2.3 at best, it is also about 28.5 " absolutely impossible to mount on stans 355 rim. definitely not a high volume tire like the old 2.55 LT's.

Agree....wa riding with a guy yesterday who got a flat....damn near impossible to get the WWLT off an older Arch.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Go with a faster tread pattern on the rear. Like I eluded to in my last post, too bad WTB stopped making the WWLT 2.55 - the king daddy 29er rear.
    +1