Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ~Reformed Mechanic~

WTB Nine Line Tire?

Cant seem to find any reviews on WTB's new 29" specific "race" tire the Nine Line...

Tread pattern seems not far off from an Ikon and rated nice and light (and cheaper of course) Hum...

Anyone have experience with them yet? Im very intrigued...
    Last edited by Ace5high; 05-01-2013 at 10:54 AM.
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    Is it TCS?? If so they may have a winner there unless it is stoopidly skinny, but maybe even if.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    I guess Ill have to be the guinea pig

mtbr member
    I think it's originally released on Cannondales as an OE tire. I was interested in one for the rear of my single speed.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    ^ Correct ^ I just ordered one off prime. So Ill be sure to update you guys!

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    I was just fondling a pair of these at my local shop. They reminded me of a Maxxis IKON...which I like a lot for my local trails...so the Nine Line has me intrigued. It is indeed TCS.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Well the Nineline arrived today, at 2.0 wde its a pretty small tire, no where near the Racing Ralph in terms of volume.

The tread and size does remind me of the ikon a lot.

Weighed in at 535 grams which is lighter than both my last Ikon and racing ralph (impressive).

Im expecting much in the way of rolling and grip of the similar Ikon. I will report back after its maiden voyage...

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Sorry to say but the Nine Line will not make it as far as my local trails

Trying to air them up tubeless was a total bust. They are the only tire I haven't been able to air up tubeless even with lots of sealant, just wouldn't stay put, ended up blowing about an ounce of sealant out of the bead before I quite (leaked like a siv).

Ive run 2.0 tires before and still never had one this tiny before. This tire make my 2.1 Ignitor look like a high volume! It literally looks like a baby tire compared to my 2.25 RaRa and NoNi. The pictures below don't even do it justice how much of a difference in volume, but you get the idea...

So for me its just not going to work, This baby is going back to where it came with prejudice.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

WTB Nine Line Tire?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    Sorry to say but the Nine Line will not make it as far as my local trails

Trying to air them up tubeless was a total bust. They are the only tire I haven't been able to air up tubeless even with lots of sealant, just wouldn't stay put, ended up blowing about an ounce of sealant out of the bead before I quite (leaked like a siv).

Ive run 2.0 tires before and still never had one this tiny before. This tire make my 2.1 Ignitor look like a high volume! It literally looks like a baby tire compared to my 2.25 RaRa and NoNi. The pictures below don't even do it justice how much of a difference in volume, but you get the idea...

So for me its just not going to work, This baby is going back to where it came with prejudice.

Not a tubeless tire and comparing a 2.0 with a 2.25? Your results are what I would expect.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sweet if it's this small it might fit into my monstercross bike. Would really like something with a little more bite than my Wormdrives.

One man's small 29er tire is another man's XXL cyclocross tire

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Not a tubeless tire and comparing a 2.0 with a 2.25? Your results are what I would expect.

If this is what you expect than you must have low expectations for tires

The nine line is still much smaller than other 2.0 tires I've run, not to mention my Ignitor 2.1 which most people agree is rather small for its size.

Before I bought one I asked WTB about these tubeless and they confirmed that is was designed to be run both tubed and tubeless...

WTB Nine Line Tire?

If this is what you expect than you must have low expectations for tires

The nine line is still much smaller than other 2.0 tires I've run, not to mention my Ignitor 2.1 which most people agree is rather small for its size.

Before I bought one I asked WTB about these tubeless and they confirmed that is was designed to be run both tubed and tubeless...
    A TCS version would be designed for tubeless use. Do not see that you have that one.
    "Race
    Designed to be run with inner tubes"

And this tells me more about the size than the 2.0 nominal width:
    TIRE SECTION WIDTH: 50mm
    TIRE OVERALL WIDTH: 48mm
    http://www.wtb.com/products/nineline

When the tread is narrower than the casing they always look smaller.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Too bad it didn't work for you but thanks for the honest report!

I'm always looking for new tires and reports from users are usually better than the manufactures specs. If you talked to them and they said this would go tubeless but it didn't that's a bummer but good for WTB for taking it back. At least customer service came thru.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Too bad it didn't work for you but thanks for the honest report!

I'm always looking for new tires and reports from users are usually better than the manufactures specs. If you talked to them and they said this would go tubeless but it didn't that's a bummer but good for WTB for taking it back. At least customer service came thru.
    Yeah its definitely on the small side which I don't mind so much and still would have liked to give it a run...

Their TCS version is designed for use with their TCS rim bead...They did tell me that the race version could be used tubeless with certain "correct" beads, and thought mine would work, unfortunately it didn't ... Still possible that certain rims this might be okay but mine just don't appear to be ones that will... Its okay though, half of what I buy I do so to help others know what to expect

I work in .001 tolerances

Re: WTB Nine Line Tire?

Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    One man's small 29er tire is another man's XXL cyclocross tire
    ^ this

OP let me know if you wanna get rid of those. My Fargo would love them

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    And this tells me more about the size than the 2.0 nominal width:
    TIRE SECTION WIDTH: 50mm
    TIRE OVERALL WIDTH: 48mm
    Nine Line | Wilderness Trail Bikes
    Hey OP, wanna grab a few measurements on the true tread and casing width? Pretty sure I could squeeze one of these up front on my cross bike but not sure about in the back if it's a true 50mm at the tread. Think I've got clearance for 46mm of tire on the rear.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    These came as standard with my 2013 F29. I have zero experience with other MTB tires, but will be trying some other tire when these wear out - which judging by how quickly the rubber is degrading, won't be long.

WTB Nine Line Tire?

Quote Originally Posted by rbirkby View Post
    These came as standard with my 2013 F29. I have zero experience with other MTB tires, but will be trying some other tire when these wear out - which judging by how quickly the rubber is degrading, won't be long.
    Wear and degradation are not the same thing.

Wear is the physical consumption of the tire.

Degradation is loss of performance because of changes to the tire/compounds--aging, temperature, contamination--that cause the rubber/casing to harden, soften, crack or other things that affect grip and performance.
    mtbtires.com

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Hey OP, wanna grab a few measurements on the true tread and casing width? Pretty sure I could squeeze one of these up front on my cross bike but not sure about in the back if it's a true 50mm at the tread. Think I've got clearance for 46mm of tire on the rear.
    I didn't bother measuring since they were not keeping air for long. They are already on a brown bus headed back to their homeland sry...

Quote Originally Posted by rbirkby View Post
    This kinda makes sense, the rubber felt very soft...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    For your next tubeless try, I'd advise seating the tire beads without sealant. Soapy water only... It's a lot less messy if you cannot get the beads to seat.

Also, in my book, one cannot disqualify a tire for tubeless, unless one has tried the regular tricks in the book. Soapy water and if a tire is hard to mount, leave out the valve core, mount it with a tube so one bead has allready seated... compressor.. stuff like that.

Dropshot Champ!
    saw these at sea otter and thought they looked like a slightly more aggressive ikon. Which is what I run for my local trails as well..

looking forward to more feedback!

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by JeroenK View Post
    For your next tubeless try, I'd advise seating the tire beads without sealant. Soapy water only... It's a lot less messy if you cannot get the beads to seat.

Also, in my book, one cannot disqualify a tire for tubeless, unless one has tried the regular tricks in the book. Soapy water and if a tire is hard to mount, leave out the valve core, mount it with a tube so one bead has allready seated... compressor.. stuff like that.
    Tried all the above. Bead was well seated and kept leaking like a siv.

I still think its a cool tire that WTB has released here, but Ill admit I was trying to stretch the bounds with which this one "Race Version" was designed. I was hoping it could seal up like a non "tubeless ready" Maxxis or the such, and I'm sure it might even work for some with patience.... I just realized I didnt want to continue to mess with it when I can get an Ikon or something else to seal on first inflate

Might end up to be a really cool tire for those that cant fit the larger ones, but for me it just wasn't the right fit.
    Last edited by Ace5high; 05-01-2013 at 11:14 AM.

metrotuned WoS
    Got a set of the NINE LINE 29x2.0 coming in to compare to a pair of NANORAPTOR 2.1's. This is for mixed terrain commute riding. Currently running Racing Ralph 2.4's front and rear which have served great for 3 tire sets so far. The RaRa's blow up and get even larger with wear, and are large volume and look big, even on conservatively narrow rims at around 20mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    They came stock on my Trail SL 1 29er, and so far, they've been great - no issues or me. I am running tubes, though. As I recall, they got some good ink in a SL 1 review in one of the mags. I'll probably replace them with the same when they wear out.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddeand View Post
    They came stock on my Trail SL 1 29er, and so far, they've been great - no issues or me. I am running tubes, though. As I recall, they got some good ink in a SL 1 review in one of the mags. I'll probably replace them with the same when they wear out.
    I also got them on my trail sl1. I bought takeoffs rims/hubs/tires on craiglist that had a RoRo and RaRa tire and use that set for trail riding. I use the nine lines set for pavement and when they wear out planning on putting some cyclocross tires for the pavement/city.

like other have said, I didn't realize how skinny they were until i put them side to side with the RaRa and RoRo tires.
    Noobish
    2013 Cannondale Trail 29er 1
    1990ish Specialized Hardrock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast