TR
    Angry bunny

Which WTB Frequency??

Which one would marry up closest to the Arch EX?
    Looking for 4 new rims for my 2 bikes.
    Basically all I ride is XC and some tame trail so I am thinking Arch EX but then started reading up on the WTB Frequency.
    I am guessing that the i19 or i21 would be closest?

MTB B'dos
    Just be aware that AFAIK, these have a UST spec bead, which is different and does not play as nice with some other TLR beads. Personally I'd stick the ArchEX since they work with basically any tyre casing. Just got in a FlowEX for a guy I ride with a holy cow is that thing wide compared to the old ones, looking to snag 2 for myself to build my new wheels with. Guessing the new ArchEX is going to give a similar tyre profile as the old Flow.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

TR
    Angry bunny
    Yes this is all a little unclear to me they talk about being UST, 2Bliss, TCS etc compatible and then say they can be used with regular tyres with tubes.
    If they can be used with regular tyres with tubes why cant they be used with regular tyres with tubeless?
    I have read a number of threads here regarding the Frequency rims but none of those have given me a firm answer either.

mtbr member
    AFAIK, the non-tubless tires fit a little bit tighter on the Stan's rims than on the WTB rims. The set-up process is just potentially more futsy with a non-tubeless tire on the WTB rims, because the tire fits looser.

On the other hand, you can't hardly get a WTB TCS tire even on a Stan's rim.

mtbr member
    The WTB Frequency rims use a UST compliant bead shape and size. This means all Tubeless Ready tires that use a UST compliant bead will mount up to them with relative ease. Bontrager TLR, Specialized 2Bliss, Geax TNT, Hutchinson Tubeless Ready, WTB TCS are examples of Tubeless Ready tires that use a UST type bead. Some other brands of Tubeless Ready tires and some standard tires might work. For example I was able to mount a Continental Race King non-tubeless on my TCS rims with a floor pump and they sealed up fine with sealant. But this would be more hit or miss with some inherited risk.

Stans rims, especially with the 2nd generation BST (Crest, Arch EX, Flow EX) use a very short bead hook along with a larger diameter to fit standard tires on tightly. This makes seating them easier but does put a large amount of strain on the bead. This means that some tires will work fine and others may blow off the rim when the bead fails. Getting a much less pliable Tubeless Ready beaded tire on the Stans rims can be a serious PITA. And even if you do get them on, they may not fully seat because the larger bead doesn't always fit well with the very short bead hook.

So what it really comes down to is are you looking for the lightest system with some inherited risk (Stans with standard tires run tubeless) or the more reliable system (WTB Frequency with UST compliant Tubeless Ready tires).

If you go with the Frequency rim, the i19 is the more comparible to the Arch EX
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

TR
    Angry bunny
    More often than not I am now using some form of tubeless ready tyre these days (WTB, Schwalbe are my main options).
    The other thing I am now looking at is that the i21 is actually not even available.
    I am not convinced I need to move up to the i23 for my purposes given that I have been happy with my old school 19mm Arches.
    So now I am lost as to what I want to do given that the price of the Stans rims is almost double some of the other options on the market.

mtbr member
    I am running i23's on HopePro2 hubs, could not be more happy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    More often than not I am now using some form of tubeless ready tyre these days (WTB, Schwalbe are my main options).
    The other thing I am now looking at is that the i21 is actually not even available.
    I am not convinced I need to move up to the i23 for my purposes given that I have been happy with my old school 19mm Arches.
    So now I am lost as to what I want to do given that the price of the Stans rims is almost double some of the other options on the market.

The i19 is the same width as your old Arch...and I believe the i19 is a bit lighter as well. If you are looking to keep the same tire profile that you have right now then the i19 is probably going to be your best bet.

I have about 9 months on my i23s with no real complaints. I wrapped them with Stans yellow tape and they aired up easily with a Specialized Purgatory Control 2.4, Maxxis Ardent 2.4, and a Bontrager 29-3 (I think it is a 2.3 tlr tire).

I did have an issue with the bead burping on the Specialized tire causing me to crash. Probably partially my fault for taking a bad line down a root and I am really not sure if it was a tire issue, pressure issue, user error issue, etc but the bead on the tire was toast as a result.
    Last edited by A1an; 11-07-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    Signature

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Just be aware that AFAIK, these have a UST spec bead, which is different and does not play as nice with some other TLR beads. Personally I'd stick the ArchEX since they work with basically any tyre casing. Just got in a FlowEX for a guy I ride with a holy cow is that thing wide compared to the old ones, looking to snag 2 for myself to build my new wheels with. Guessing the new ArchEX is going to give a similar tyre profile as the old Flow.
    The WTB is UST compatible and the vast majority of tubeless ready tires use UST compatible beads. UST spec on UST spec are designed to work together. The most sure to work tubeless system out there.

UST beads are not designed to be used Notubes rims, and few standard tires are either.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I mounted a UST tire on a Stans Flow for my buddy. I thought it fit really well. It took pressure to get it to seat but sure felt solid once it did. I guess I was just lucky as I had no real idea that it wasn't supposed to fit. I guess that is another testament to how versatile Stans are but you learn something new every day.

I am going to +1 on the Stans. Go to a local series and my bet is the overwhelming majority will be running them. They are durable, perform well, easy to set up, and have a variety of options to meet most peoples needs. I have mounted countless different tires on them and they have all worked fine. They work so well that I doubt, at this point, I would even try anything else unless I was building a carbon race wheel.

mtbr member
    Old BST (355, Arch, Flow) has taller bead hooks and seems to work pretty well with Tubeless Ready tires with UST spec beads

From Drop Box

New BST (Crest, Arch EX, Flow EX) has a significantly shorter bead hook with 2mm less "hook" to hold the tire. The larger Tubeless Ready bead can't really fit properly if you can even get it mounted.

From Drop Box
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

TR
    Angry bunny
    Pretty close to going with the WTB rim at this stage.

mtbr member
    Give it a shot I doubt you will be unhappy with them. And if you don't like the decals they come off quite easily (first thing I did after mine were built).
    Signature

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Pretty close to going with the WTB rim at this stage.
    That would have been my choice had I not sourced the Roval wheels with DT Swiss internals on the hubs for such a great price. I was set on the i23.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    I have i23 frequency rims.

Very strong and relatively light.

Have Nobby Nics setup tubeless.

Have also mounted a Conti X-King tubeless in the past.
    2014 Tallboy 2