29er for the Soul

WTB Bronson 29 vs. WTB Bronson 29 Race

Hi,

I have narrowed down my search for a 29 inch rear tire. I am looking at the WTB Bronson which comes in two versions.

The race version comes in lighter at @720 - 750 g depending on what you read. The standard Bronson weighs in at a whopping 880 g.

I have no experience on anything other than a WTB Prowler on the rear. That weighs about 760g.

Is it worth spending 20 more bucks to get the lighter Race version? Will I notice the difference in weight? If so, when would I notice it?

I ride So Cal rocky conditions and hard pack. I came down Hummingbird on my hardtail yesterday on my worn Prowler and didn't cut the side wall, which is a concern of mine. The standard Bronson has tougher sidewalls than the Race, but I haven't read anyone complaining of sidewall rips on the Race version.

Thanks

So Cal Rod

ready to ride
    Looking at the same tire. You can get one on Amazon for $42 + shipping for the race. I need to go by my LBS and see how much they are charging. They give me 20% off since I bought my bike from them Probably be jsut a few dollars difference all done and said so I will probably pick mine up locally.

According to WTB's site they are 700g but you are probably right they are probably a tad bit heavier in reality same with the 880g for the comp. I'm not a weight weenie but almost a 1/2 pound on my front is pretty significant to me. Also the race uses their DNA compound, supposedly faster rolling and provides more grip.

I have a Weirwolf LT Race that I sometimes run and I haven't had any issues with it in the rock gardens of Western NC/Pisgah. Its a great tire for most of my riding but looking for something a little more aggressive for when the leaves fall.

ready to ride
    FWIW yesterday I switched out an ExiWolf Comp 2.3 that I have been running on my front for the past month or so with my WeirWolf Lt Race 2.55. I know they are too totally different tires but the advertised weight difference is about the same.

Big difference to me. I didn't notice too much regarding pedaling/acceleration though it did seem a bit faster. Just something that is hard to quantify for me. Now I noticed a big difference when clearing downed trees etc. The approximate .5 pound difference made lifting the front much easier. I guess that shouldn't be a big surprise. Also when catching air off berms and such I noticed a big difference.

So the weight alone with be worth the extra money to me.

I have the Bronson TCS front and rear, and they come in at 750g.

I love them... haven't let me down yet.