mtbr member
    Aug 2012

worthwhile handlebar upgrade?

I am itching to replace my GF Cobia 2012 handle bar to Easton EC90 SL Riser!
    It is worthwhile? Apart from the cosmetic change and mental satisfaction of draining my pocket any real performance advantage?

Thank you for your advice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kaushama View Post
    I am itching to replace my GF Cobia 2012 handle bar to Easton EC90 SL Riser!
    It is worthwhile? Apart from the cosmetic change and mental satisfaction of draining my pocket any real performance advantage?

Thank you for your advice!
    I did notice a change for the better in the "feel" dept. changing my giant anthem to an Easton. However ... you knowing it may make you ride more, faster and enjoy it. So if theat is a motivator. Do it. Money well spent.

I'm an upgrade whore.

mtbr member
    If the new bar fits you better, then you'll perform better on the bike. Otherwise, you are going carbon, so you'll probably see a reduction in weight.

Heck, even if it is just the *look* of the bar that is better, that could at least increase your enjoyment on the bike.

mtbr member
    I've got 8 or 10 bars I've accumulated over the years. The main reason for getting new ones has always been for fit and position. Changes in rise, sweep and width will affect the position of your hands, wrists and upper body.

Carbon is lighter, and said to absorb vibration, but unless you're riding rigid I doubt you'd notice the difference.

So if you think the difference in the bar's shape might help you, give it a try. I typically buy the cheapest model to try something new, then if it works I might go for the lightest model.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    I've got 8 or 10 bars I've accumulated over the years. The main reason for getting new ones has always been for fit and position. Changes in rise, sweep and width will affect the position of your hands, wrists and upper body.

Carbon is lighter, and said to absorb vibration, but unless you're riding rigid I doubt you'd notice the difference.

So if you think the difference in the bar's shape might help you, give it a try. I typically buy the cheapest model to try something new, then if it works I might go for the lightest model.
    What's the cheapest alternative to EC 90?

Dirty South Underdog
    The EC90s are (IMHO) a little on the narrow side (635mm). I prefer 666mm and don't need a riser, so I stick to the Niner flat bar. At my shop, we usually recommend the EC70 riser since it's a more popular width.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Off hand, no idea. Maybe someone will have a suggestion, or better yet, shop around for bars that have similar characteristics.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Easton EA70 Monkey Rise Handlebar

How about this bar? it is aluminium but cheap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have the EC90 SL but would recommend the 20mm rise EC70 for the 685mm width.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just picked up the Havoc carbon.

I needed something wider and I wanted a bit more of a rise. They are supposed to be a very strong bar, time will tell.

So far I like them.

Code

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am buying a Thomson Elite Seatpost*too. I don't like quick release clamps. I what size I should buy?
    EC70 low rise WHITE is better match than black? For Cobia's color scheme?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thompson make a bar also... Expensive, but it will match

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    I've got 8 or 10 bars I've accumulated over the years. The main reason for getting new ones has always been for fit and position. Changes in rise, sweep and width will affect the position of your hands, wrists and upper body. Carbon is lighter, and said to absorb vibration, but unless you're riding rigid I doubt you'd notice the difference.

What he said

mtbr member
    Easton EA70 Monkey Rise Handlebar

How about this bar? it is aluminium but cheap.
    I stick to 7000's aluminum parts (e.g., Raceface Turbine, Truvativ Stylo T30/40 & AKA). Cheaper than carbon, but stronger and lighter than other alloy aluminums.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Considered alternate bars like Mary?
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hmmm

Expert Crasher
    Forte Team 720 flatbar. 199 grams, you can find them at Performance on sale for $19-$25. $40 full price.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I did a marginally wider 30mm rise on my Mamba. I love the feel of the bike now. More comfortable for me. Easier to pull up when seated. Feels better when standing going downhill. No negatives on my bike at all. I did a Truvativ T30.