Thread: Winter Upgrades

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Winter Upgrades

Well it's time for some upgrades, thought I would post whats on the plate and see what you think.

wheels getting stans Arch ZTR 29er with Hope Pro hubs front and rear
    brakes going hope vx2 with floating rotors
    XT derailleur with Shadow drive plus
    Unsure on crank set either XT or a nice raceface setup
    shifters will stay until they brake
    carbon seatpost unsure of make any suggestions on this would be cool.
    carbon or ali bars unsure as I was told for a ali frame carbon is nicer as it has some give.
    bike is a 29er HT

The bike is only 6 months old so the GF is getting all my stuff for her bike, she likes the free upgrades. This is her first year riding so she bought a used Trek Fuel X7 and it has some older BB7 stuff, she is tiny so the Elixer1 on mine should stop her with ease but for me being 215 lbs I find them weak.

Singletrack Snob
    Well, it depends on the parts you would be replacing. The last thing to upgrade would be the seatpost. Upgrade the bars only if you dislike your current ones. Sounds like brakes are what you need most. How about upgrading tires? That is often the best bang for the buck.
    "I've got a card in my spokes, I'm practicing my jokes. I'm learning!"

mtbr member
    Are you really tall or extremely muscular? I don't understand why people worry so much about upgrades when it's their body that needs work.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Are you really tall or extremely muscular? I don't understand why people worry so much about upgrades when it's their body that needs work.
    Very good point.

Also list your current bike so people have a better idea as to help you. If its an entry level bike. You might be better off just purchasing a completly new bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My body is fine, been MTBing for 20 years my legs are chain snappers, I eat free wheel hubs for breakfast(say that last part in your best Commando Arnie voice) anyways it's a GIANT XTC2 the bike handles just fine since changing the tires. Issue one is no stopping power so brakes are my number 1 upgrade. The wheel set could wait but I want some nice wheels and hubs, I want to scare hikers with my free wheel buzzing. The seem to ignore my horn so maybe this will wake them up. The rest can wait till it brakes, or goes on sale, wanted some riser bars and jenson has a nice sale on for some raceface so I thought why not save 60% and get a new one. I know I could have bought the XTC 0 and got all XT but I wanted the cheaper model so I could get the stuff I wanted not want they think is good. The frames are the exact same other then the paint job.