get down!

Will a Chris King road bottom bracket work on a 73mm shell mountain bike? (Krampus)

Hola,

Wondering if a Chris king road bb will work on a Krampus?

I'm running the newest XTR cranks (3x10) and am singlespeed so no chainline worries.

Thank you!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    May 2005
    No - the road bottom bracket is 68mm only.

You might try asking Chris King customer service if it's possible to swap out the middle piece (not sure what it's called but it's that plastic cylinder thing). I'm guessing the bearings themselves are identical.

get down!
    Yeah, I called Chris King and they said no. The dude trying to sell it to me said yes. I don't usually use that center tube anyway, but the actual pieces are a little wider on the road version. I am using one spacer on my current BB so thought it may work.

Just looking for someone who has done it before.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    Yeah, I called Chris King and they said no. The dude trying to sell it to me said yes. I don't usually use that center tube anyway, but the actual pieces are a little wider on the road version. I am using one spacer on my current BB so thought it may work.

Just looking for someone who has done it before.
    I came across this same issue not long ago because some of the "road" bottom brackets are designed for 68/73 bracket shells. However, the "mountain" have different cup depths which can affect bearing preload, probably voiding warranty. I would just get the mountain version and call it a day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yes. The threaded cups do not know or care how far apart they are. The plastic sleeve will not reach across but who cares.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dambala View Post
    Yes. The threaded cups do not know or care how far apart they are. The plastic sleeve will not reach across but who cares.
    The plastic sleeve is not there for giggles. If you take a look at it you will notice it has rubber O rings which are suppose to be greased when installed. The sleeve is an integral part of the bearing seal system for the BB and is designed to prevent water and contaminants from getting to the bearing from the back side.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cusco View Post
    The plastic sleeve is not there for giggles. If you take a look at it you will notice it has rubber O rings which are suppose to be greased when installed. The sleeve is an integral part of the bearing seal system for the BB and is designed to prevent water and contaminants from getting to the bearing from the back side.
    With a properly maintained bike there is absolutely no problem running the CK BB without the sleeve. I have been doing it for 3+ yrs. Putting a thin film of grease manually into the sleeve area of the BB solves any potential problem. This assumes the frame is properly "sealed" and not a wet and or muddy mess inside the BB area, which presents a whole range of other issues anyway.

mtbr member
    Cup depth affecting bearing preload!? Say wut!? You mechanical kung-fu...sucks!

Ran a (mountain) King bb in a 83mm width DH frame before they made a plastic sleeve wide enough for a couple of seasons. I have a that tool to greases the bb...never needed it, but then I live in CO and don't really run into much wet conditions. However, I do wash the bike w/ a trickle stream of water and a brush after every outing...live in an apt and don't want dirt all over the rug.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Cup depth affecting bearing preload!? Say wut!? You mechanical kung-fu...sucks!

Ran a (mountain) King bb in a 83mm width DH frame before they made a plastic sleeve wide enough for a couple of seasons. I have a that tool to greases the bb...never needed it, but then I live in CO and don't really run into much wet conditions. However, I do wash the bike w/ a trickle stream of water and a brush after every outing...live in an apt and don't want dirt all over the rug.
    It's what the Chris King rep told me via email when I asked the same question.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    With a properly maintained bike there is absolutely no problem running the CK BB without the sleeve. I have been doing it for 3+ yrs. Putting a thin film of grease manually into the sleeve area of the BB solves any potential problem. This assumes the frame is properly "sealed" and not a wet and or muddy mess inside the BB area, which presents a whole range of other issues anyway.
    Perhaps you should offer up your engineering services to CK. I'm sure they would welcome your insights and jump at the opportunity to remove and unnecessary part from their design. On a serious note the most common point of entry for water into a BB shell is at the seat post clamp on the seat tube. Although you can buy aftermarket seals for the seat post clamping area the vast majority of MTBs do not come with a seat post collar seal. In addition, I would guess that the majority of MTB riders periodically encounter wet conditions such as getting caught in an afternoon thunderstorm downpour in the summer or an unexpectedly quick thaw / melt in the wintertime. Sh*t happens.

You area sample of one and your personal experience riding in dry conditions and having no problems is not statistically relevant (outlier).

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cusco View Post
    Perhaps you should offer up your engineering services to CK. I'm sure they would welcome your insights and jump at the opportunity to remove and unnecessary part from their design. On a serious note the most common point of entry for water into a BB shell is at the seat post clamp on the seat tube. Although you can buy aftermarket seals for the seat post clamping area the vast majority of MTBs do not come with a seat post collar seal. In addition, I would guess that the majority of MTB riders periodically encounter wet conditions such as getting caught in an afternoon thunderstorm downpour in the summer or an unexpectedly quick thaw / melt in the wintertime. Sh*t happens.

You area sample of one and your personal experience riding in dry conditions and having no problems is not statistically relevant (outlier).
    The guy asked if it will work. I said yes, it has for more then a few and will continue to. However, I will say, you win. It is either your "engineering" prowess or how living in your Moms basement has effected you but I can not compete.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The guy asked if it will work. I said yes, it has for more then a few and will continue to. However, I will say, you win. It is either your "engineering" prowess or how living in your Moms basement has effected you but I can not compete.
    My mom's basement .... ouch ..... that stings. I have no response for your substantive retort.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I would rather use it how CK meant it to be used purely for warranty reasons.