Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wide 29er rims

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Wide 29er rims

After searching around the internet, this is the list of 29er rims, 35mm and wider, that I can find. Did I miss any?

Velocity P35 rim: 32 or 36h, 35mm, 595g, double wall, disc only

Salsa Gordo rim: 32 or 36h, 35mm, 700g, double wall, disc only (discontinued?)

Kris Holm XC rim: 36h, 38mm, 795g, double wall, disc or rim

Kris Holm Nimbus Dominator rim: 36h, 42mm, 903g, double wall, disc only

Velocity Snow Cat rim: 32h, 44.5mm, xxxg, single wall, drilled holes, disc only

Kris Holm Freeride rim: 36h, 47mm, xxxg, double wall, drilled holes, disc or rim

Surly Rabbit Hole rim: 32/64h, 50mm, 699g, single wall, drilled holes, disc only (not yet released)

Speedway UMA rim: 3xh, 50mm, xxxg, double wall, disc only (discontinued?)

All in all, it's a pretty short list of wide rims for 29ers. There are no remaining double wall rims wider than 42mm and no 32h rims without drilled holes wider than 35mm.

My hope is that the Surly Knard will add to mounting pressure for manufacturers to put out more wide 29er rims in a variety of styles and configurations. I've heard rumors that Velocity is going to be putting out a double-walled, ~45mm rim, so perhaps there is hope. And Jeff Jones keeps hinting that he is going to be selling 50mm 29er rims.

Dinner for wolves
    Cool! I didn't know Velocity was offering the Snowcat. Anybody have any idea what the offset is on the spoke hole drilling?
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    A correction to the list that I posted. The Nimbus Dominator rim is not made by Kris Holm, it is made by Unicycle.com. I talked with someone from Unicycle.com today, and he said that they have started to get a lot of inquiries from 29er bike riders about the Nimbus and Kris Holm rims. Many of these inquiries have also been trying to find wide double-walled 29er rims without the drilled holes and in 32h (in addition to 36h).

This place needs an enema
    Gordo's are indeed discontinued, but there are still lots of them about at dealers.

Sun MTX 33 are also 35mm wide and can be still found if you know whom to ask.

Speedway Uma's are in short supply and I don't think Greg is having them made anymore.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I called Speedway today, and they are no longer making the 29er Uma. They laced up their last few pairs of new old stock rims earlier this year.

mtbr member
    Syntace, I think out of Germany, has claimed to be making a 40mm wheelset available soon. Didn't see any news about whether they would be offering the rims alone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Gordo's are indeed discontinued, but there are still lots of them about at dealers
    Damn! When did that happen? No wonder I can't seem to find them in stock at any of the usual locations.

Were Spank rims on that list? I think they make a 35 mm wide rim too.
    "Ride what you love, love what you ride"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The widest 29er Spank rim is the Subrosa at 30mm wide and 625g. I have two sets and am very happy with the width, durability and most importantly, stiffness.

The Syntace info is here: http://www.syntace.de/download/pdf/w...MX_engl_LQ.pdf

turtles make me hot
    CRAP!! Now I have to find a pair of Gordos. I want them on my next build.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shimstack View Post
    The widest 29er Spank rim is the Subrosa at 30mm wide and 625g. I have two sets and am very happy with the width, durability and most importantly, stiffness.

The Syntace info is here: http://www.syntace.de/download/pdf/w...MX_engl_LQ.pdf
    This wheel set looks reasonable light for a wide rim, are they available yet?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Syntace

info about the syntace wheels is here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YourSoma View Post
    Syntace

info about the syntace wheels is here.
    Might I add that Dirtrag had an article some time back that claimed Syntace was to be making these wheels in 40mm 29er. I think that article is probably wrong because nothing has shown up on the website. And the 35mm Syntace 29er wheels are not yet available, though the price plus cost to get them in the US might make them tough to find stateside.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Sun MTX 33 are also 35mm wide and can be still found if you know whom to ask.
    Have these been discontinued? I see they are readily available from most sources?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Anybody who would like a very slightly used set of MTX 33 can message me
    bikesonburke

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    So basically with any kind of concerns about weight of the rim, the Velocity P35 seems to be the only option currently available?

I'm considering to build a wheelset with wider rim that would allow me to use Knard as front tyre when those are available. The same rim should be usable with 29er 2.25 Ice Spiker Pro's so I guess the Rabbit Hole would be too wide then, maybe? ISP is about 55-56mm wide on Bonty Duster so I guess Rabbit hole would make it a bit of a box profile.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    So basically with any kind of concerns about weight of the rim, the Velocity P35 seems to be the only option currently available?

I'm considering to build a wheelset with wider rim that would allow me to use Knard as front tyre when those are available. The same rim should be usable with 29er 2.25 Ice Spiker Pro's so I guess the Rabbit Hole would be too wide then, maybe? ISP is about 55-56mm wide on Bonty Duster so I guess Rabbit hole would make it a bit of a box profile.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salomo View Post

The Rabbit Hole might be too big for the Ice Spiker, yes. If you want something to be light, and to be available in rim only, then the P-35 is likely the best bet. However, if I were primarily concerned with using a Knard and/or an Ice Spiker, then I wouldn't care too much about rim weight/rotational weight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Should be rim only since I would like to build the wheels myself. P35 it is then unless something new pops up soon. I would like to be able to use ice spikers as well as I'm from Finland and those are usefull from december to april here. Wider rim would also make the ice spikers a bit wider which I think would be good. Of course the rim shouldn't be too wide.

Knard is something that would be nice to try out with rigid fork but during the summer I probably run suspension fork and Ardent 2.4 in any case. So in that sense the weight does matter at least a bit.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Not sure it's wide enough for you, but you might consider the Pacenti DL31 as well...

Cheers,
    KP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wide 29er rims-dl31.jpg  

“Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    More info here:

BikeLugs.com
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm not sure what is wide enough for me either.. Basically I haven't ridden wider than 28mm so far but I would like to try out a rim wide enough to make actually a difference. I suppose you would be the best person to tell how much difference is there going from 28mm to 31mm and to 35mm and the difference between dl31 and p35 in real life :-). I guess that Knard would work better on p35 but I suppose it would be ok on dl31 as well. Eylets are of course nice which p35 doesn't have.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Kirk, any chance you will be producing a 29er rim larger than 35mm?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Kirk, any chance you will be producing a 29er rim larger than 35mm?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Oops, computer hiccup. Didn't mean to post that question twice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Oops, computer hiccup. Didn't mean to post that question twice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast