Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wide 29er rims

mtbr member
    I just got some P35's. Plan on building a front wheel with a Knard for my Black Sheep.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    You haven't experienced awesome until you've tried. 2.4 or wider on. A 35mm or wider rim.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Salomo View Post
    I'm not sure what is wide enough for me either.. Basically I haven't ridden wider than 28mm so far but I would like to try out a rim wide enough to make actually a difference. I suppose you would be the best person to tell how much difference is there going from 28mm to 31mm and to 35mm and the difference between dl31 and p35 in real life :-). I guess that Knard would work better on p35 but I suppose it would be ok on dl31 as well. Eylets are of course nice which p35 doesn't have.
    Fwiw, when I initially designed the P35 it was going to be a 32mm wide rim. But Velocity felt they needed to go to 35mm to compete with the 35mm Salsa rim.

The P35 rim makes a big difference in the tire profile and the way it handles. It creates a much larger contact patch, and offers a huge amount of grip. So much so that I had to change my riding style... I was almost (for me) impossible to get the tire to break loose, so rather than drifting through turns, you have to push it harder, lots of body english and counter steering required to get the most from it.

Ultimately, I found a slightly narrrower rim (31-32mm) was more fun to ride. You get a lot of the advantages of the wider rim, great traction, higher volume, lower tire pressure, etc. But you can more easily roll the bike over and drift through turns more easily. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    KP
    Last edited by Kirk Pacenti; 12-15-2012 at 05:26 AM.
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ok, that does help, thanks! I think that for me however the P35 might suit better, sinse it's actually the grip, or traction that I'm looking for. Trails that I mainly ride during the summer are quite narrow with lots of rocks and roots, very technical and quite low speed in general. Not a personal preference, it's just the way the trails are around here. Accents and decents are steep and short, so no high speed carving and/or drifting anyway, unfortunately.

I'm also planning to try out fully rigid set up, so anything that makes the tyre bigger is good. Of course living in Finland there's tons of snow out there right now, so a larger footprint would be an advantage also, at least that's my guess.

DL31 would be a very interesting option for my Tracer VP though when the wheelset needs updating.

Thank for the reply, I really appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti View Post
    Fwiw, when I initially designed the P35 it was going to be a 32mm wide rim. But Velocity felt they needed to go to 35mm to compete with the 35mm Salsa rim.

The P35 rim makes a big difference in the tire profile and the way it handles. It creates a much larger contact patch, and offers a huge amount of grip. So much so that I had to change my riding style... I was almost (for me) impossible to get the tire to break loose, so rather than drifting through turns, you have to push it harder, lots of body english and counter steering required to get the most from it.

Ultimately, I found a slightly narrrower rim (31-32mm) was more fun to ride. You get a lot of the advantages of the wider rim, great traction, higher volume, lower tire pressure, etc. But you can more easily roll the bike over and drift through turns more easily. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    KP
    That's a very interesting take on it. Interesting.

Btw, thanks for the p35! I'd like to try the tl28 soon.
    Last edited by thickfog; 12-16-2012 at 06:04 PM.

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I don't think that's a 29er rim. At least I haven't seen other than 26" versions anywhere. Quite heavy also. Would be nice if Mavic came up with a wide 29er rim though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Unfortunately, the EX 729 rims only come in 26" size. Oddly, Mavic doesn't seem to make a 29er rim wider than 24mm.

turtles make me hot
    OOps...
    I like turtles

mtbr member

Re: Wide 29er rims

Quote Originally Posted by sbruton7 View Post
    I called Speedway today, and they are no longer making the 29er Uma. They laced up their last few pairs of new old stock rims earlier this year.
    This is unfortunate. The way umas hold a bead on tubless is incredible.

um... yeah
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Might I add that Dirtrag had an article some time back that claimed Syntace was to be making these wheels in 40mm 29er. I think that article is probably wrong because nothing has shown up on the website. And the 35mm Syntace 29er wheels are not yet available, though the price plus cost to get them in the US might make them tough to find stateside.
    They're still not listed on the Syntace website but these wheels do exist. I've held them in my hand. They are HUGE.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Based on OUTER width:

Syntace as Wheelset w/cx ray spokes
    -W35
    -W40

Velocity
    -Blunt 35mm
    -Dually 45mm

Just a couple that come to mind within a wheel system. There are more. The Syntace wheelsets look glorious. Bor is another german company you don't hear much about in North America, but are fantastic, as are AX lightness. They both make light, wide, fast wheels. Always consider application of weight over number of spoke holes though; for example I tour alot and weigh 165lbs, plus generally carry 15lbs on trips, so will get a rim engineered for 200lbs+ with 28 spokes in front and 32 in the rear, or 28/28. If I were racing I woud go minimum 24 front and 28 rear, or more if my rim was relatively wimpy/light. But I also torque the rear wheel like hell. Spokes would be aero cx-rays for racing and d'lites or DT 2.0 straight butted/Comp/Champion for touring or rough recreational riding. It's not fully usefull to spout off rims alone. We must also consider application in terms of terrain/desired durability/riding beahviour and the wheel as a whole system.

mtbr member
    Can add a couple carbon rims:

Derby 35mm
    Nextie 35mm
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2