bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

why is everybody dumping their 29er Enve wheels...

recently in the classifieds?
    Last edited by bt; 02-02-2012 at 10:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    why did you make a thread for it? Why do people sell anything in the classifieds? What percentage of Enve wheelset owners that currently use MTBR are actually selling theirs?

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Was it supposed to be secret? I just noticed they come up often lately, no need to get stressed Ninja.

Is something new coming down the pike, are people switching to chinese hoops, is it because Obama might get re-elected?

mtbr member
    seems like a legit question, especially for someone who may be interested in purchasing a set.

The Human Arrow
    Jun 2004
    this thread : http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/ch...ms-673410.html might have something to do with it...

seems affordable carbon rim-only options are becoming more readily available from asian sources... and allow building wheels with personal choice of hubs/spokes....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    aren't the new rims UST? maybe people are upgrading.
    something about the west coast...it makes me wanna ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    why is everyone dumping Prius' and buying Leafs?

mtbr member
    Banks foreclosing on wheel loans?

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Banks foreclosing on wheel loans?
    This is the most likely reason- the wheel bubble burst and now everyone is buying wheels that they need rather than as an investment leaving those that over financed their carbon wheels at inflated prices unable to sell or refi to current low rates- this combined with high unemployment is forcing some unfortunate owners to short sell or face forclosure.
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Race them hard for a year, then sell them while they still have value.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore View Post
    This is the most likely reason- the wheel bubble burst and now everyone is buying wheels that they need rather than as an investment leaving those that over financed their carbon wheels at inflated prices unable to sell or refi to current low rates- this combined with high unemployment is forcing some unfortunate owners to short sell or face forclosure.
    This is just the beginning then. I waiting to buy until the bottom REALLY falls out. The opposite of what I did with my house.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I see (only) 2 sets and $1400-$1490 isn't exactly what I would call dumping......now if they were brand new at that price, that might be dumping

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    I see (only) 2 sets and $1400-$1490 isn't exactly what I would call dumping......now if they were brand new at that price, that might be dumping
    selling a $2500 wheelset after 7 months & 20 rides for nearly half price isn't exactly reclaiming value.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    we clearly need a residual value analysis

mtbr member
    A better question is, why would someone would buy a $2500 wheelset?
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amishscum View Post
    these things don't need to make sense

Got A Lust for Life...
    Could be shop employees or team members.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    selling a $2500 wheelset after 7 months & 20 rides for nearly half price isn't exactly reclaiming value.
    Do these wheels have an odometer on them? How do you verify # of rides?

transmitter~receiver
    nah... that's actually a pretty stoopid question.

*hint* the answer is, "different strokes..."

mtbr member
    I'm all for different strokes, but we're not talking about chocolate vs. vanilla. My point is the amount of performance gained (if any) in relation to cost.

Not looking to argue though. I'm sure for some people, $2500 is a drop in the bucket and they don't even think twice about it.
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

transmitter~receiver
    I'm all for different strokes, but we're not talking about chocolate vs. vanilla. My point is the amount of performance gained (if any) in relation to cost.
    that's the different strokes part... you might buy stuff on some performance-to-cost ratio. others could for whatever reason they feel like. and yes, i'm sure disposable income plays a role.

transmitter~receiver
    nah... that's actually a pretty stoopid question.

*hint* the answer is, "different strokes..."
    so I get this neg rep from Stroker Ace:
    You're always pompous and condescending about ultra-high priced wheelsets and wheel parts. Cut it out

for saying different things work for different people and there's no reason to bag on other people's choices?

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    I love my ENVE 29 AM rims (and bought them at employee price). The only reason I would get rid of them is to the the new UST version. At this point I'll wait until I kill one and use their replacement program for a pair of UST's.
    I've had them on my Sultan for 3 hard years and their only fault is that I have to work to make them tubeless (but they hold tight once they're there).

I would consider the Haven Carbon, but really like having my choice of hubs.

I would not consider some Chinese off-label rims for off-road without some substantial testing behind them. I am considering them for some cheepo disc tubular cyclocross race wheels, but if they break, I'm no more than 1/2 lap away from a spare wheel. If my mountain wheel breaks I could be in the middle of nowhere. I trust what ENVE puts out. I do not trust what a no-name chinese carbon factory puts out.
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
    Do these wheels have an odometer on them? How do you verify # of rides?
    there is no way to do it quantitatively. i was just taking the seller's word for it.
    i guess you might could confirm the purchase date.

mtbr member
    You're always pompous and condescending about ultra-high priced wheelsets and wheel parts. Cut it out

for saying different things work for different people and there's no reason to bag on other people's choices?

My "bag" didn't call any one individual out, and wasn't phrased in a condecending way. There's a difference between being incredulous and mean-sprited. You phrased your reply to my post in a condecending manner, like you were speaking to a child. Whatevs. Unfortunately, someone decided to call you on it. Bummer you got neg repped, but rep means shyte anyway. Here, have some +rep on me.

Peace out.

transmitter~receiver
    My "bag" didn't call any one individual out, and wasn't phrased in a condecending way. There's a difference between being incredulous and mean-sprited. You phrased your reply to my post in a condecending manner, like you were speaking to a child.
    i was kidding with the "stoopid question" thing... but i still don't get why anyone would question another's choices that have no bearing on them at all... it's their money. someone could easily say the same thing about whatever you spent on x bike part you own. i replied because it was an off-topic judgement of others.
    Whatevs. Unfortunately, someone decided to call you on it. Bummer you got neg repped, but rep means shyte anyway. Here, have some +rep on me.

Peace out.
    the neg rep doesn't bother me... i just don't understand the comment. it seemed to suggest that i'm against people buying "ultra-high priced wheelsets and wheel parts," which is the opposite of what my comment conveyed. i'm of a mind that anyone can spend their money on whatever they want and others' questioning their choices is a waste of space and time. you won't find me judging others' equipment choices like you did. it takes all kinds, i guess.

mtbr member
    i got two sets and have no plans in the near future to get rid of them. light weight and durable. nothing to complain about.

yes i did get them half price.....
    so my afro now sticks out of my helmet.

mtbr member
    i was kidding with the "stoopid question" thing... but i still don't get why anyone would question another's choices that have no bearing on them at all...
    I question the logic behind other peoples choices on occasion. Bike parts, lifestyles, whatever. I think we all do to some degree, sometimes publicly. Much like how you are questioning the logic behind my decision to write that post, even though it had no bearing on you.

That's all I'm going to say. Sorry to the OP for the thread derail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    what hubs did you build them on ? would love to build a set

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

Cheap asian knock off source for

Positive reps. I will praise for cheap. Go Guy! or the classic Eat at Joes!

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Any of you catch that documentary about Garmin Cervello trying to enter Tour de France, and that Tall guy ( Magness Backstedt? ) shattered 2 Carbon wheels on the cobbles in one race?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hmmm...my personal view of these things is that 40% of full retail is lost the day it's purchased. A used price any more than 60% retail price and I'd just buy new with the warranty and new car smell, etc. Different strokes I guess.

And as far as the OP's question, I think the guy who said racers use them one season and sell is on the mark.
    whatever...

transmitter~receiver
    I question the logic behind other peoples choices on occasion. Bike parts, lifestyles, whatever. I think we all do to some degree, sometimes publicly.
    Kind of like how you wonder how anyone could pay $2500 for a set of bike wheels, I guess.
    That fits
    Much like how you are questioning the logic behind my decision to write that post, even though it had no bearing on you.
    lol... saw that comIng a mile away. I answered your judgmental question.

That's all I'm going to say. Sorry to the OP for the thread derail.
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 02-02-2012 at 09:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigfootDenny View Post
    this thread : http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/ch...ms-673410.html might have something to do with it...

seems affordable carbon rim-only options are becoming more readily available from asian sources... and allow building wheels with personal choice of hubs/spokes....
    I'm not sure I get this logic. If you've already paid for the expensive, brand name rims (that you can use your choice of hubs/spokes with), why would you "dump" them to get a cheap, generic set?

I wonder how many of your non-riding friends wonder the same thing about your "toy" and all the carbon bits you've added to it along the way?
    Last edited by skiahh; 02-03-2012 at 08:31 AM.

banned
    Apr 2009
    how anyone could pay $2500 for a set of bike wheels,
    I have been to some trailheads and have not seen any car/SUV below $50,000... And no telling what else is at home in the Garage (if they drive these to the trails)------Then you see 6K-8K builds (so $2,500 wheels seem right on those.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Any of you catch that documentary about Garmin Cervello trying to enter Tour de France, and that Tall guy ( Magness Backstedt? ) shattered 2 Carbon wheels on the cobbles in one race?
    And did you catch the last 2 wins on carbon rims?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore View Post
    sig and rep worthy, well done!

edit: way too long to fit in my sig unfortunately without butchering
    Last edited by veteran_youth; 02-03-2012 at 08:44 PM.

HTFU and Ride
    this thread is FULL of win! LMAO
    Winter is coming.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
    why is everyone dumping Prius' and buying Leafs?

Because they want to hold up traffic even more

Plays with tools

You are pompous though

mtbr member
    My People Were Fair and Had Sky in Their Hair...But Now They're Content to Wear Stars on Their Brows

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Heh heh heh..... I just sold mine to get the UST version to put on my Scalpel 1. I really like tubeless. As far as components go, this is one area I'm least willing to sacrifice. ENVE is THAT GOOD. Frankly I got the Scalpel and bought new hubs because my LBS is so good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Obviously someone with a reading comprehension problem!

I just plus repped you to compensate.

Thank you for your contributions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I always love the question " why would spend $$$ on part X". Let's answer that question with a question. Why would anyone buy a Bugatti Veyron when a Pacer or Gremlin would get you to your destination also?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tefloncat View Post
    I always love the question " why would spend $$$ on part X". Let's answer that question with a question. Why would anyone buy a Bugatti Veyron when a Pacer or Gremlin would get you to your destination also?
    1000 hp maybe? Does The carbon whellset really gives you 2500 usd worth of performance gain or weight loose? Thats why so Many people dont understand The price.

Commom how much is a full carbon frame? 2800 3000 usd and Thats for a entire frame. How much is a carbon suspension fork? 1800 maybe? And with those parts you ser weight and performance gains.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Within reason in a bike argument/discussion we can state most parts don't make you faster or a better bike handler, genetics and hardwork make you better.....but try the new carbon rims on a quality built wheelset (if you haven't already) and this is an area in my opinion (and many other knowledgable skilled riders) which will help your riding skills. Is it worth $2500, it's money better spent than 500 packs of generic cigarettes (late night sarcasm). I will buy some high quality carbon hoops this year, not because I like the koolaid. But because they work and will make my riding and racing more funerer (that from my Bush dictionary).

banned
    Within reason in a bike argument/discussion we can state most parts don't make you faster or a better bike handler, genetics and hardwork make you better.....but try the new carbon rims on a quality built wheelset (if you haven't already) and this is an area in my opinion (and many other knowledgable skilled riders) which will help your riding skills. Is it worth $2500, it's money better spent than 500 packs of generic cigarettes (late night sarcasm). I will buy some high quality carbon hoops this year, not because I like the koolaid. But because they work and will make my riding and racing more funerer (that from my Bush dictionary).
    Just picked up my first set of carbon hoops last month. And have to say it has been the biggest improvement in the mountain bike in years. No way I could go back to riding a different wheel. I would pay whatever to use some.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    Just picked up my first set of carbon hoops last month. And have to say it has been the biggest improvement in the mountain bike in years. No way I could go back to riding a different wheel. I would pay whatever to use some.
    Ditto, I picked up a set for under a grand here Reynolds 29er Carbon Wheelset
    and they have been truly amazing, set up tubeless with Stans very easily.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I thought I bought a set of eastons from you last year?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Still on the fence about these. Good price, end caps galore yet a weight that's considerably higher than other options. I'm less than 170 geared up and wondering what I'd notice from ZTR Crest.

Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Ditto, I picked up a set for under a grand here Reynolds 29er Carbon Wheelset
    and they have been truly amazing, set up tubeless with Stans very easily.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    I thought I bought a set of eastons from you last year?
    Yep, but never really got to ride them. I think , if I remember, they were used for maybe 2 miles.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yep, but never really got to ride them. I think , if I remember, they were used for maybe 2 miles.
    still got them, good wheels, great bead grip for tubeless.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    still got them, good wheels, great bead grip for tubeless.
    Wish I still did. Had some real finance struggles back then.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I prefer to ask, Why does someone feel the need to resurrect a 7 month old post?
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    May 2012
    29er are popular now...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Jason, do you plan to get any 29er rims which aren't so narrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason.MT View Post
    29er are popular now...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    You are pompous though
    But some may see that as an admirable trait. And the internet thrives on folks being condescending.

Members who have read this thread: 11