Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Who's riding an X-fusion fork or Manitou fork on their 29'r?

Need to hear something on these forks before I shell out the money

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I love my Manitou. ABS+ Dampener is one of the best feeling dampeners I've ever ridden. Wayyyyy better than motioncontrol or even blackbox moco and feels smoother than TST2. Can'tt compared to fox's fit dampener though.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    I just switched out a Reba SL (2nd gen) for a Tower Expert on one of my bikes. I don't have enough rides for a complete review but I prefer the Tower. I know that's blasphemy for most but it rides really really well. I've run only Reba's for 7+ years. The downside to the Tower Expert is weight. It's probably a half a pound heavier. But, I will gladly take that for an improved ride.

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    I run old Manitou Minute with TPC damping, I think it was the Tower predecessor with the same chassis. I don't like how the compression adjustment knob turning -too stiff- and it's difficult to pump the air to get the right pressure but when it's done the plushness and compression ramp up through the travel is great. The smoothness is like you have less air than needed but when it went to the travel it provides enough compression platform to save you from stupid move to bottom up the fork.
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have the 2012 Manitou Tower Pro ABS Taperd steer tube 15mm axle I have it on my Salsa Spearfish 1. I have not put this in the reviews yet becuse I only have 3 rides on it and one of them being yesterday with the MILO HB lock-out & also yesterday I road the bike hard abd fast on some rocky rooty wet hard pack single track.

I got this fork trying to save a little money, I wanted all the bennys of having taperd S/T and 15mm axle and having a remote lock-out was a must have. I looked at the marz and all the web pic show that fork with a remote L/O but when I went to buy one I found out that it doesn't come with it and that I would have to send the fork in to have it done,so that drives the cost of that fork back up ($100.00 for the remote & $100.00 to have it put on) to where I would be with the R/S or Fox. I had also been reading about the Tower Pro but I could only find most of my info on the 2011 and that was here on mtbr.

They said that (in the reviews) the 2011 Tower Pro had week springs and most of the riders where between like 220lbs to 260lbs. they said the fork had a lot of dive while braking. I had read in one of the reviews about the 2012 having stiffer springs,I would like to look that one up again becuse I don't think the springs stiff enough on the 2012 But! I like a stiffer ride anyways. I am 170lbs with gear on.

The red nob on the right leg has clicks from full open to lock-out I could not feel any differnce any where from full open till I got the nob to 3 O'clock pos than it was two clicks to lock-out I am maxed out on the air psi at 110.

So yesterday I put on the MILO H/B lock-out and set the clicks 3 in from full open so that is what I have from there to lock-out. so it's open where you set it open but what I like is that it's so easy to take off the cap and turn the ABS where you want it. I'm going to go play with that and I might change to a stiffer spring I don't know about that yet!!! on my ride yesterday with the MILO and riding the bike like a race bike well I am loving this fork I will need more time on it, I know it's a plush fork and it's going to be good in the trail/all mountain area,but for someone like me that wants a stiffer platforum for long races might have to change the springs and they are cheep and every time I have called Manitou I have had to leave message but they call back right-a-way and they talk you thrugh things.

I would buy this fork again even if I have to change the springs. You can buy a TST 15mm axle 29er fork for $550.00 w/o lock-out it's about 65grams heavier than the R/S ans Fox that will cost you $800.00 to $1,000.00 or more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Rode a Tower Pro 2011, 80mm, QR and straight steerer for a year.

Now riding a Float 29er 100mm, TA and tapered.

Although the TA and taper add to stiffness that is noticeable, when comparing how they behave on the trail, I prefer the Tower by a long margin.

if I could chose them on equal terms - equal technologies (TA, taper), I would go with the Manitou.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the feedback.....any X-fusion slide owners out here??

mtbr member
    Another Manitou fan here. Running a Drake Super Air with the 20mm TA on my RockHopper. As a super clyde, it's proven to be a very stout fork.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have been running a manitou tower pro with a 20 mm for a little over 600 miles and really like it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    So much Manitou love in this thread.

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    More Tower love here! I have the 11' ST 9mm qr. I have figured the travel to be more in the 130mm range and not near the 140mm claimed travel. I have bottomed it a few times on some 3'-4' drops but I don't do this often enough to increase the compression or add air, as the ride is near perfect on all the other terrain I ride on!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The tower is a very good fork. My SS is has one on it and it get's more dirt time than any of my other bikes. Go forth and have no fear.

Underskilled
    +1 on manitou love.

I run a properly tuned manitou Doarado 2003.
    plush smooth and controlled.

I use it for everything from road racing, street, xc, AM and DH. I don't need to change a single dial whatever I ride on as the design is so good.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Manitou Tower Pro on two of my bikes. Cannot be happier!

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have a Tower Expert on my Salsa. Not quite broken in yet. Like it a lot, coming from rigid. My only comparison is 3 Marzocchis I've owned and a Judy, all old school stuff. The Tower is super plush and I don't even bother with air as the stock spring is firm enough, barely. If I ran air (I've done so once) I'd keep it about 10 psi. I took the brand new fork apart just to check fluid levels and it is super easy to work on. Like one of the others said, the feel of the rebound knob sucks.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Rub it............
    I'll add to the Manitou love. Running a Minute with the Absolute + damper in it. Very nice ride. Comparable to my Reba Race that I used to run.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Been running Manitou Tower Pro 80mm on my Bandersnatch for a year. Solid fork. When I bought it I was over 205lbs so I ordered an Xfirm kit for it when I placed the fork order. Super simple swap and I love the fork.

So, that brings me to the last week. I have been trying to decide which brand to put on my current SC Tallboy build and was leaning toward FOX since the Tallboy sports a FOX rear. After a week of delibIerations, I just ordered a tapered 2012 Tower Pro 120mm with 15QR instead. I figured the 2012 Tower is only going to be as good a performer as the '11 has been and the taper and 15QR can only add to the stiffness. In the end, I just couldn't justify the expense of the other options.

Go with the Tower.
    The more you ride it, the lighter it gets.
    '12 Santa Cruz TallBoy
    '11 Vassago Bandersnatch
    '08 Specilaized Pitch Pro

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hal,I couldn't justify the cost of the other brans also. I have a little more time on my 2012 Tower pro it's 100mm it also has the TST and 15mm QR and I love this fork/bike set-up I have. you're going to love your new bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a Drake Super Air 120mm TA on my Paradox and a Minute 100mm TA on my SS. Both with the new dampers. I've owned these forks for nearly 4 years. They're fantastic forks, work very well, stiff, simple and easy to overhaul. Don't think twice about going Manitou.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Appreciate all the input here and very timely as I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on the new Tower Pro and so far all the reviews I can find have been very positive.

mtbr member
    I currently run a Manitou Minute Expert on my 26er and I'm very happy with it.

For my new 29er rig I've been considering Fox Float 32, and RockShox Revelation, but I ended up ordering a Tower Pro tapered QR15 120 mm, as I only find positive reviews about it.

mtbr member
    solitone,

Could you let us know how the fork is working out. Is a taped steerer the way to go these days, or will I even know the difference from a straight steerer. Thanks.

mtbr member

Hail to Manitou

Another big Manitou supporter here. Rode a MARS, SKAREB and a MINUTE MRD on my previous 1999 Litespeed Obed (26"). Now I have a Lynskey Ridgeline 29er with a 2010 TOWER w/ 9mm QR. Looking to upgrade to a 2012 TOWER 15mm to stiffen up the front end.

The only thing that bugs me about the 2010 TOWER is that I get a creak or a click on the rebound movement of the fork, not the compression. I only hear this when the ABS+ is on 3 clicks or higher from lockout. I've taken it apart, checked everything, lubed everything, but to no avail. Other than that, I like the adjust-ability that the ABS gives me (195 lb xc), but if I'm not listening to some tunes on my rides, it bugs the hell out of me.

I also hear that Manitou's 15mm QR is a great improvement over the other designs. Any comments?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's riding an X-fusion fork or Manitou fork on their 29'r?-lynskey-modified-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joefi View Post
    solitone,

Could you let us know how the fork is working out.
    I haven't received it yet. It should arrive on end of June or early July, together with my new frame and some other components.

As soon as I'll have tried it out, I'll post my impression.

Quote Originally Posted by joefi View Post
    Is a taped steerer the way to go these days, or will I even know the difference from a straight steerer. Thanks.
    Can't comment on this, because this fork will be the 1st taperd I own, and the frame will be my 1st 29er.

From what I've read, a taperd steer is the way to go with 29er's. Especially with a travel like mine (120 mm), the gain in stiffness should be appreciable.

Short-Change-Hero
    Add me to the +1 for some Manitou Tower Pro love....

Started riding almost 2yrs ago, spend the first six or so months riding my brother RM Element 50 that he outfitted with all Fox Float stuff (think it was float). The bike was very compliant and rode well. I was riding this while I was building up my bike that I now have the Tower on.

Approximately 3 months after I built my bike, the RST M29 I had developed a bad leak (cracked v-brake boss) and I could not get a hold of anyone at RST so I picked up a 2011 Manitou Tower Pro 100mm QR for $386 to my door. Put it on and started riding it at 205#.

With the Medium spring that comes with the '11 the ride was good enough but I had to run the PSI at 70-90psi to get a good ride out of it. The platform was not linear at all and I would spike if I went outside that range or complete bottom the fork.

I made the call to Manitou and within a day I was talking with one of their techs that was about my size and rode trails similar to me and he was running the FIRM spring at about 40psi (which he liked) he said that my LBS could easily get the FIRM Spring for me and install easily and if they had any questions he gave me his number and said he could help them with anything.

I did that and after about a month of playing with things I finally got the fork dialed in with about 65psi, mid-clicks from lockout and having the rebound at about 15%. I did my first race with the bike about two weeks ago and the fork performed B-E-A-UTIFULLY in the rock, chunk, whops, and single track. The more I ride this fork and the more crap I throw at it the more and more I fall in love with it.

Just from the CS perspective alone I will be buying Manitou, Hayes, Answer, Sun Ringle products again. Planning on starting a FS 29er build over the winter and she will have a Tower Pro 100mm T/A TS, Hayes Stroker Trail (white), Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro (Gold), and whatever else I can get from them on that XC machine.

I have ridden Reba, Fox, and Marz, out of all of them I still love the Manitou the most. It takes some fiddling for a while to get it setup but once you are done, damn does that thing just disappear under you and allow you to just ride like you want!!

Snapseed by renofizz, on Flickr
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast