mtbr member

Who's ridden a Pike fork with Dual Position Air?

I'm interested in the Dual Position Pike 29er, in the 150/120mm guise, but I've had trouble finding reviews or info on the Dual Position version of this fork. Lots of rave reviews on the Solo Air version of course!

My main questions are: Is there any noticeable loss of performance compared to the Solo Air version? And, how does it perform in short-travel (120mm) mode? Just as buttery as in full-squish mode?

I would likely be using it in 120mm for large chunks of my riding, and extending to 150 only for rough/long descents. Currently running a Float 120, but would love additional stiffness and option of more travel from the Pike.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    I'm interested in the Dual Position Pike 29er, in the 150/120mm guise, but I've had trouble finding reviews or info on the Dual Position version of this fork. Lots of rave reviews on the Solo Air version of course!

My main questions are: Is there any noticeable loss of performance compared to the Solo Air version? And, how does it perform in short-travel (120mm) mode? Just as buttery as in full-squish mode?

I would likely be using it in 120mm for large chunks of my riding, and extending to 150 only for rough/long descents. Currently running a Float 120, but would love additional stiffness and option of more travel from the Pike.
    I've got 4 rides in on a DPA Pike. Running 160 at max. Previous fork was a 160mm solo air Pike.

Loved the solo air--probably my favorite sus fork in 20+ years of mtb'ing. Only complaint was a harsh bottom on big (to me) drops with less than ideal transitions. Could never get rid of it, even with 4 bottomless tokens installed.

By comparison, DPA is no less plush in short travel mode. Never bottoms, or at least not yet.

Not sure it was designed to be run full-time in short mode, but a call to SRAM (by you) will correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck,

MC

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for posting Mike, comparisons between DPA and Solo air are in short supply. There is another post on here about the Pike where SRAM is quoted as saying that the short travel mode is intended for climbing, not general riding. It certainly wouldn't hurt to double check though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post

Loved the solo air--probably my favorite sus fork in 20+ years of mtb'ing. Only complaint was a harsh bottom on big (to me) drops with less than ideal transitions. Could never get rid of it, even with 4 bottomless tokens installed.

By comparison, DPA is no less plush in short travel mode. Never bottoms, or at least not yet.

Good luck,

MC
    I'm trying to decide between purchasing a solo air or a dual position pike. If both forks perform equally well then I rather have the dual position.

You stated that the dual position was "no less plush than the solo air". However, you also stated that the solo air was "probably your favorite fork in 20+ years of mtb'ing". So which one is better in your opinion? Have you noticed any performance disadvantage whatsoever in the dual position compared to the Solo?

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    Sent from my HAL 9000