mtbr member
    May 2008

Who builds no tubes wheels?

I picked up a ztr arch ex rear wheel on amazon and noticed that there's already some wobble in the wheel before even riding it. Hopefully it wont cause future problems - Seems like it may have been a rush build job. Does no tubes build all of the stock ztr wheels? Is there anything I can do?

Plays with tools
    You should definitely fix it before using it.

Stans sells a lot of rims as well as complete wheels. They build wheels at there wharehouse in the states and I imagine they build OE wheels in Asia as well. There are also hundreds of other companies building their rims into wheels. So it's impossible to say who built your wheel.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Amazon is like a shell in many cases when you buy through them. There will usually be a business other than Amazon that is actually supplying the goods. I would think that is who you would be dealing with if you expect to take that course of action. If I were in your shoes (and not mine because I build my own wheels), I would take the wheel to a trusted shop and pay them to finish the job properly. It sux, but that will get you back on your bike the soonest, and then chalk it up to buying a wheel through Amazon being a crapshoot.

I suppose you could go through the steps to seek recourse from whomever you purchased it from, but that will be a total PITA and keep you off the bike for some of the prime riding season. JMHO

usually cranky
    just bring it to a lbs and have them true it up. kinda sucks but sometimes thats the price you pay for pre built wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I'll take it to my LBS and have them true it up. Next time I might pay a bit more and go with a custom wheelset instead

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My lbs said that the wheel is actually true but it's the tire that's a bit out of whack. It's a new tire but he said that can be common and I'm good to go. I love having a great honest bike mechanic.