mtbr member
    Jul 2013

White g2 fork options, help!

So I have a trek x caliber 7. It came with a white xc30 and I am looking for upgrade options. It needs to be a 1 1/8 straight, 100mm travel and air. Ideally I want it in white both the crown and lowes like my stock fork. Any thoughts??

mtbr member
    No way in hell id buy manitou forks from Taiwan but manitou is best bang for buck option to get while forks.

You don't need "g2" specifically. G2 is fork offset, which 51mm offset forks are becoming more and more common. But for white versions your kind of stuck between manitou and fox.

I have basically same bike (2012 before name change to xcal) and run manitou marvel forks. Love them!!! Handling vs "g2" is the same. But air with negative coil spring and the most user friendly tuneable damper system there is.

Would not worry about the lockout switch. Easy to reach forks to do it and though I have the Milo switch (bought it separately) I'm not a giant fan. Like the remote for my riding style and trails but the way the handle is designed has the cable just looking ridiculous in its routing. Functional, simple, and light weight but that cable thing bugs me.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_08 View Post
    So I have a trek x caliber 7. It came with a white xc30 and I am looking for upgrade options. It needs to be a 1 1/8 straight, 100mm travel and air. Ideally I want it in white both the crown and lowes like my stock fork. Any thoughts??
    Have you taken a look at fleabay? I vaguely remember seeing lot of g2 take offs last time I was in the market...including white rockshox forks. Fork would def be a worth wild upgrade on your bike, as well as a wheelset that accepts a 15mm thru axle. Dont overlook 120mm options since travel can easily be reduced. Probably hold its value better since it appeals to a wider range of buyers. Just a thought

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I realize G2 is simply a 51mm offset. For that reason the x-fusion slide caught my eye. I am having a hard time finding it in white with a straight steerer. I will look into manitou, but when I looked before I don't remember seeing any with a 51mm offset. I realize I don't need the offset, but I am realty digging how the bike handles right now.

Reba has always been my go to fork, but RS says they didn't make any in white with the offsets. I sorta hate the black sanctions too.

mtbr member
    Manitou isn't 51mm offset, its 48mm offset and your not going to notice a single difference in handling due to a very small offset difference. The performance upgrade to a better fork is going to improve things so much over stock forks.
    Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thoughts on the Minute over the Marvel?

I agree that the fork will make a huge difference, if possible I was hoping to find that nice fork meeting the geometry criteria.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Marvel Pro is available with 51mm offset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    No way in hell id buy manitou forks from Taiwan but manitou is best bang for buck option to get while forks.

You don't need "g2" specifically. G2 is fork offset, which 51mm offset forks are becoming more and more common. But for white versions your kind of stuck between manitou and fox.

I have basically same bike (2012 before name change to xcal) and run manitou marvel forks. Love them!!! Handling vs "g2" is the same. But air with negative coil spring and the most user friendly tuneable damper system there is.

Would not worry about the lockout switch. Easy to reach forks to do it and though I have the Milo switch (bought it separately) I'm not a giant fan. Like the remote for my riding style and trails but the way the handle is designed has the cable just looking ridiculous in its routing. Functional, simple, and light weight but that cable thing bugs me.
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    Have you taken a look at fleabay? I vaguely remember seeing lot of g2 take offs last time I was in the market...including white rockshox forks. Fork would def be a worth wild upgrade on your bike, as well as a wheelset that accepts a 15mm thru axle. Dont overlook 120mm options since travel can easily be reduced. Probably hold its value better since it appeals to a wider range of buyers. Just a thought
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The Marvel Pro is available with 51mm offset.
    I see them in 15, do they make them as a 9? I have a sweet set of king hubs I am using.

mtbr member
    I'm using marvel in 9mm qr with straight steerer
    Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    I'm using marvel in 9mm qr with straight steerer
    With or without the 51?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I see them in 15, do they make them as a 9? I have a sweet set of king hubs I am using.
    Nope. See if your hubs can be converted to 15mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You may wish to call Trek to verify, but I believe your X-Cal has a 44mm headtube. It will accept tapered forks with an EC44 lower portion of a headset. This will greatly broaden the range of forks that you can use. Yes, the lower cup will slacken your bike by a 1/2 and raise your BB by 3-4mm.

I ran a tapered fork on my '11 Mamba frame which was the in the line of frames before the switch by Trek to the X-Cal tier of bikes. It only had 44m of offset and it was set 120mm, but I preferred the handling if the bike after I swapped to that fork.

mtbr member
    With or without the 51?

As of last check manitou doesn't even make a 51mm offset yet. Ya NOT 51mm though. 48mm, splits the difference and love it. Can't tell a single difference besides bike rides much better with good forks lol.
    Trek Marlin 29er

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I realize G2 is simply a 51mm offset. For that reason the x-fusion slide caught my eye. I am having a hard time finding it in white with a straight steerer. I will look into manitou, but when I looked before I don't remember seeing any with a 51mm offset. I realize I don't need the offset, but I am realty digging how the bike handles right now.

Reba has always been my go to fork, but RS says they didn't make any in white with the offsets. I sorta hate the black sanctions too.
    Yes they did. My 2010 Rockshox Reba XX was 51mm offset, in white and straight steerer. Freaking light too....at 1647g, with 7-inch steer tube, super-plush 100mm of Dual Air damping and X-loc hydraulic lockout. One of the sweetest forks they EVER made! Keep on looking. They can be had for well under $300.Name:  reba_xx_29.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  36.3 KB
    Last edited by Zachariah; 21 Hours Ago at 10:27 AM.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    As of last check manitou doesn't even make a 51mm offset yet. Ya NOT 51mm though. 48mm, splits the difference and love it. Can't tell a single difference besides bike rides much better with good forks lol.
    Broaden your check and call them like I did. They will tell you they have stock in 51mm offset for the Marvel Pro.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    here you go boy..

link to a white fork, 51mm offset, straight or tapered your choice with 9MM QR or 15maxle ..this should make you happy.

Manitou 2014

i have been doing a lot of digging around this subject from a past few days..for my xcal 6, came with a ST xcm
    but i cant afford , not even the reba

Bike24 - RockShox Reba RL Solo Air 29" Fork 100mm 51mm Offset Straight 9QR 2015 - black

also, below is an answer from cane creek,
    just in case you want a tapered fork fr your bike(trek x-cal series)..the headset that ur bike will take is ZS44 TOP & EC44 Bottom, this will add exactly 12mm of extra stack height to your set up

However, this could be negated if you get this new fork with a lil (12mm to be exact) shorter axel to crown distance then the current xc 30( i dnt know the A to C)

hope all this enfo helps you..

I will be happy with your old suspension, in case you wanna sell..hopefully will be better than the dam xcm!!

Amit

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by amit kakade View Post
    here you go boy..

link to a white fork, 51mm offset, straight or tapered your choice with 9MM QR or 15maxle ..this should make you happy.

Manitou 2014

i have been doing a lot of digging around this subject from a past few days..for my xcal 6, came with a ST xcm
    but i cant afford , not even the reba

Bike24 - RockShox Reba RL Solo Air 29" Fork 100mm 51mm Offset Straight 9QR 2015 - black

also, below is an answer from cane creek,
    just in case you want a tapered fork fr your bike(trek x-cal series)..the headset that ur bike will take is ZS44 TOP & EC44 Bottom, this will add exactly 12mm of extra stack height to your set up

However, this could be negated if you get this new fork with a lil (12mm to be exact) shorter axel to crown distance then the current xc 30( i dnt know the A to C)

hope all this enfo helps you..

I will be happy with your old suspension, in case you wanna sell..hopefully will be better than the dam xcm!!

Amit

First off thanks, I had already found that myself. Secondly, "boy"

I have found lots of literature for that fork,the x-fusion slide, and a few others saying the offer it in my wants, but the problem is actually being able to find one. IE my shop can only source the slide in black.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    orite, apologies for calling you "boy", if that offends you..
    anyway, since this is not a 1 2 1 conversation all info provided is for everyone's sake onn this tread..
    any increment in the lower headset stack height 10 to 15mm changes the head angle not by 1/2 a degree but just by a quarter degree..
    Also, if you come across anything white in color with same specs as mentioned, please do post it on this tread...i am looking too..
    thnx