mtbr member
    May 2009

White Brothers Loop 29?

Thinking about getting one of these (140mm) for my RIP 9. Interested to hear some opinions from you guys that have ridden one and how they might compare to say a Reba and/or a FIT RLC. I've owned both and wonder how the LOOP stacks up...

Started this thread in the Shocks and Suspension forum but figured I'd get more responses over here

Thanks in advance

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    I have time on one in 130mm guise. Pretty sweet fork. More supple on smaller hits than the Reba RLT it replaced. Very smooth. It was a great match to the FSR rear suspension. They are kinda 'clacky' if you run them with the blow-off magnet closed down, but that was not a big deal on the FST trailbike. Definitely worth considering.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Did u read these ones? I am also contemplating one, I have a WB Groove 200 not a big fan boy
    but they make HD parts which are solid as a rock as Ashford & Simpson sung. I am also a fan of 60 & 70's soul and R&B tunes.

In fact WB forks are IMO much heavier than the Taiwan competitors
    but what they lack in weight they make up for customer services. I am also a Marz fan boy
    since 1998 (Z1)

White Brothers Loop 29er Forks
    White Brothers Loop 140 29er Fork - YouTube

Speaking of White Bros do you remember the big hit back in the 70's by McFadden & Whitehead?
    Also speaking of Groove, do you remember the big 80's hit by Earth Wind & Fire? Let's Groove. Phenomenal hit.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the feedback Mtroy...and the trip down memory lane Lenzrider.

I guess I'm down to this or a 140 Revelation...I'm leaning towards the Loop, but RS and Fox is all I've ever known and I don't want to make an expensive mistake...

Anyone else have thoughts/comparisons on this fork?

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Qu!mby View Post

Anyone else have thoughts/comparisons on this fork?
    lots of people I know and respect ride one, I have a 80/100/120 on order.
    small company great customer service, great product.
    I've been inside too long.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Great fork, really plush and holds a line thru chunk very well. Right out of the box, without any tuning -just set sag, it performed better than either of my WB Fluid 135's ever did. I have about 15 hour on my 140 and it has been getting even better. The Q-taper QR front axle is a superior performing system.

Great value, Universal Cycles has them listed at $713, then you sign up for the newsletter and take 15% off over $300.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

Desert Rat
    Jul 2005
    I've been riding the Loop on my RIP for many many months. It is an excellent mate to the RIP frame. I prefer it to the Reba in various flavors, and the Marz 44 Ti that I've ridden too on that same bike. Give it a shot, I think you'll be very pleased. I ride it at 140.

Compared to the earlier WB Fluids, as one person commented upon, it is an entirely different fork - totally new chassis, internals, and axle system.
    RapidCreekCycles

Palisade CO Ride the Palisade Rim Trail
    Niner

COPMOBA

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Well I took the plunge and ordered one Sunday night from Universal and it should be here tomorrow. I've never been on anything but Fox or RS, so I'm feeling a little out on a limb...

Pretty excited to check it out though. The few reviews out there make it sound like its exactly what I'm looking for!

Thanks for all of the input
    Last edited by Qu!mby; 03-06-2012 at 04:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I finally got to get my 29er loop on the trail today. Fork is rigid no flex, and seemed to absorb the trail well, and worked well climbing.

I do have a question or concern and not sure if it's an issue with my fork or if its the way it's designed. I have noticed whenever I pull up on the bars to lift the wheel. I get a loud clunk and a thud feeling in the fork. It's as is the sanctions re being pulled out of the lower legs, and it's hitting a bump stop. Is anyone noticing this, I plan on calling wb, tomorrow but in the meantime thought I would ask here

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cemeb4dk View Post
    I finally got to get my 29er loop on the trail today. Fork is rigid no flex, and seemed to absorb the trail well, and worked well climbing.

I do have a question or concern and not sure if it's an issue with my fork or if its the way it's designed. I have noticed whenever I pull up on the bars to lift the wheel. I get a loud clunk and a thud feeling in the fork. It's as is the sanctions re being pulled out of the lower legs, and it's hitting a bump stop. Is anyone noticing this, I plan on calling wb, tomorrow but in the meantime thought I would ask here

Mine does not clunk like that. Possibly dial in a bit more rebound damping? The manual says six clicks out from full slow is what the factory sets the rebound at. I have been running mine at that for the break in period, seems to work pretty well. Next ride I'm going to experiment a bit with the rebound setting.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yeah thanks I'm at factory settings and feels fine absorbing the bumps. It's only happening when wheel off ground and pulling up to lift tire over root or whatever. I will try adjusting rebound.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well I talked to white Brothers, and they said to turn down the rebound. So I did and it stops the clunking but at the exact spot it stops clunking I get the sound of rushing air when the fork is compressed. So its one or the other. Just going to keep messing with it, and hopefully after some more time it breaks in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Anyone on this thread use a Loop on a 29er hardtail single speeder? If so, have you found a "set-it-and-forget-it" magnetic valve setting that keeps the fork firm when climbing out of the saddle and activates the fork when necessary for small and large bumps?

Thanks,
    Mike D.

AOK
    mtbr member

White Brothers Loop 29?

Bumping an old thread to share my experiences with this fork. Only two rides on it, but I am very impressed so far.

I got the 130/140 travel version and dropped it to 120mm. WB tells me that they don't advertise the 140 version as being able to drop to 120 to avoid confusion between the two travel range models. This seems a little curious to me as I think a lot of folks would be interested in this option. I am just glad that I asked before buying the 80/100/120 model. Changing travel was very easy, about the same as internal travel adjust on any other fork I have worked on. The only real difference is that you have to use a mallet to move a pin rather than clipping plastic spacers on or off the internal shaft.

Coming off a Fox F29. The Loop feels much stiffer and seems to corner much better. I am on a nice handling point & shoot bike (Transition Bandit 29) and the WB fork has made it pointier and shootier. Small bump absorption on the Loop is great - it just eliminates small trail chatter. It definitely rides higher in its travel than the Fox, but I find that to be a good thing. I did end up removing one 5mm spacer from under the stem to get my bars back where I wanted them. Overall I felt much more in control in any conditions on the Loop. Which I think is the ultimate compliment for suspension since that is the primary function - maintaining control.

The loop is a little heavier - 134g heavier than the Fox on my scale. (2013 Fox F29 Float CTD, tapered, 15 QR=1843g, Loop=1977g - both weighed with star nut, crown race, cut steerer, and QR axle)

Every review I have seen on this fork mentions two things - that the fork is noisy and that the proprietary QR15 requires you to whack the wheel to release it. I find both of these to be a non-issue. I only hear a "whooshing" noise from the fork when I am going very slow and hit a bump over 3" or so. Not a big deal at all. The whooshing is similar to my old Maverick DUC fork. I have been unable to get the "clacking" that some describe when turning on the magnetic threshold. As for the QR, removal is exactly like any other 15QR except that you sometimes have to give the wheel a small whack before unscrewing the QR axle. I find more of a difference when installing the wheel. It requires that you hold/rotate the captured nut to tighten, so it is a two handed operation, much like tightening a standard QR.

As long as I don't run into any maintenance issues in the long term, I think I will be very happy with the Loop. It seems to be a very nice fork that definitely flies under the radar compared to offerings from Fox or Rock Shox.

Loser
    I have had a Loop on my '10 RIP for about six months now. I came off a '10 Fox F29 (120mm). I think in the two years of riding the Fox I used up all the travel 3 or 4 times, most rides (even highly technical ones) I wouldn't use that last 1" of travel. I know that's not a great test of a fork, but I felt that the Fox was loading up not allowing me to use that last bit of travel.

The Loop on the other hand rides high in its travel and provides smooth travel top to bottom. I can't say how many times in the last six months I thought I was in for an all expense paid trip over the bars only to be saved by the fork soaking it up. Its a great match to the RIP. I really have had no issues with the way you remove the front wheel, its not as easy as some other systems, but its pretty damn simple.

I ride hard and often, so far the Loop has been great. My concern now is that I am approaching the time when I would do an oil change. I haven't looked into how difficult this might be to do - I don't mind getting my hands dirty and have changed oil on many forks, but I don't like to dig into complex forks and I doubt any techs at the LBS have experience with this fork. I haven't talked to anyone at WB, or done a search for a video yet, but to me that's the next step in the "how good is this fork" assessment.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Both really accurate reviews. I have the 26"/27.5" version and totally agree with the comments about bottomless travel. I also appreciate the compression threshold feature--works great for a "stiff" feel when you want that, and buttery-plushness is there when you need that.

You get the "clacking" noise when you increase the trim from the factory setting and have the threshold closed. Nothing is wrong, it's just the nature of the beast.

I think it's an often-overlooked choice in this world of marketing hype.

BTW, oil change is easy, the instructions are online. Just make sure you follow them EXACTLY...I inverted a couple of steps and had parts launched under pressure!! You'll probably need some new o-rings for the screws at the bottom of the fork legs since they seem to need replacement everytime--on mine at least. WB mailed me some o-rings no problem.
    whatever...

Loser
    Cool. Thanks, I'll look up the oil change process before I start. Good to hear its not that hard.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've had mine a little over a year now and am still very happy with the fork. I'm also currently running it on a Transition Bandit 29, but at 130mm. I never use the lockout, so I can't comment on the clacky noise, but it is generally a pretty noisy fork. It makes a swoosh sound on the rebound stroke. But honestly I don't notice it anymore and it's really a non issue. The 15mm QR is a non issue as well. People who have a complaint about it are truly nit picking. Its actually a really nice system. Solid, reliable and simple to use.

Reliability wise, so far I've not had a single issue with the fork. The only real problem I've had is that I keep breaking the little brake cable clip on the front of it. No biggie though, I just zip tie it and its all good.

The forks first service was done by White Brothers. I had emailed them about that clip the first time it broke and they told me they would do the first full service on the fork for free. They said it was some deal they were doing on new purchases that wasn't being advertised. All i had to do was get them the fork and they would take care of the rest. So I did, and they had it back to me really quick actually. They only had it a few days before it was on the way back to me. In fact, their customer service has been outstanding all around.

Servicing the fork myself has so far been no more difficult than a Rock Shox or Fox. I haven't been in the damper yet, but travel change and bath oil change was a breeze.

Thats my report after a year of use. I'd echo all of the great things people are saying about it. Awesome product and i would totally buy it again.