Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Harrumph

Whisky Parts No. 7 Tapered Fork

Anyone have miles on one of these yet? As far as I can tell it's the only direct option to the Niner Carbon fork. They look very comparable; tapered carbon, post mount, 470 A-C.

The Whisky is a little cheaper, but the Niner is much better finished and has 45mm Rake (which IMO should be the minimum for a nice handling 29'er...but that's another thread). I'm pretty sure I came across something saying there would be a higher offset version of the Whisky fork available eventually. I'd maybe hold out for the higher offset version if it exists, but I think there is value in the Niner's extra cost especially if the Whisky is only available in 39mm rake.

Thoughts?
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    It's 480-485mm high... I have some experience on it, and didn't notice the change in rake (from my usual 46mm rake Reba).
    Also it was very stiff, and didn't notice any flexing or dampening at first.... untill i noticed that after some descents my arms weren't all that fatigued and buzzing, so I guess they do filter some sharpness.

Is dang happy!
    It looks like the same fork that you can get with a the Chinese carbon frame from that thread.
    Selling for around $130 on the bay. Thinking of trying one out this summer as I replace the fleet of aging 26ers.
    http://whiskyparts.com/images/forks/mountain/FK2603.jpg
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/xgoods/70.jpg
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Is there a direct link to that ebay special?

At that cost, I may as well order one along with the ODIS. Just to try.

Harrumph
    Still waiting on the 45deg offset version. "The Q" has June 1 as the date available right now. If they push it back again I'm going to get the Niner fork.

For those picking up the cheepy e-gay forks, check out this thread.
    It might be worth the couple bucks to keep your face. If that's your price point or you can't use a tapered steerer, there's plenty of really nice steel forks for that $$$.

Harrumph
    I've been riding the 45deg fork for a while now, so far I'm happy with it. Fit and finish were really nice. The tolerance for the crown race was really tight, and I didn't have a proper crown race setter for the big race. A hunk of PVC got the job done, but I don't think that race is coming off anytime soon.

The fork is really stiff, not too much compliance going on. The trade off being laser precise steering, even with a standard qr axle. A handful of brake just perceptibly causes some flex, but really nothing compared to pretty much any other disc fork I've seen.

Made to Shred

No. 7

Just built up this bike for myself and was curious about the 45deg fork as well from Whisky. As G-reg states, fit and finish are very nice and I would agree with the tight race. That took some effort to get it seated.

What I noticed however was definitely stiff, but the fork has a very nice feel to it which is noticeably contrary to steel. What I can add to this is stiff where you want it, but resiliency when/where you need it. It is night and day from some of the steel forks I've built and/or ridden as previously stated. Excels in gravel/smooth singletrack, when the trail turns rough and super technical, it is a rigid fork and you're reminded quickly so line choice is key as well as using the elbows and soft hands. Wheelies are a must. What took some adjustment was the weight difference - the front end of the bike was considerably lighter than what I am accustomed to, so it took some "mental" mind melding with the fork.

Will definitely report back in once I've had more time on it.
    Kristofer Henry - 44 BIKES - Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com - 44 Flickr - 44 Facebook

mtbr member
    It's not the Whiskey, but I wouldn't be suprised if it were the same. I got it from Hong Fu for $120.
    It rides good, stiff but not overly bone jaring and the steering precision and weight loss are everything I hoped for.

mtbr member
    Just got in from my first ride with this fork.

I'm absolutely thrilled to finally have a rigid bike. I lost 3.25 pounds by ditching my 100mm stock fork, and immediately noticed it on the first steep climb. Jumps and fast cornering were about 10 times more fun than with the mushy shock up front.

The trails I rode today were fairly smooth, so I didn't miss the suspension much at all. I fully expect a rigid bike to be a drag on many sections of our local trails. But on the climbs and the smoother descents, it's giggly fun and efficient.

It's really a blast to be able to easily lift the front end off the ground without performing an olympic weight lifters move. I can bunny hop like a kid on a BMX bike again.

On the downside, this fork is full of cosmetic blemishes. There are two patches which are slightly raised from the fork and have a different sheen. I've decided not to care about them, as long as it performs just fine.

The other downside is I'm so excited about this change to my bike all I want to do is ditch work and go riding....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whisky Parts No. 7  Tapered Fork-newfork.jpg  

Whisky Parts No. 7  Tapered Fork-fork1.jpg  

Whisky Parts No. 7  Tapered Fork-fork2.jpg  

Last edited by Teton29er; 07-26-2012 at 08:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I don't understand the need for fixed forks...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andydude View Post
    Ride one!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by andydude View Post
    cool post bro

mtbr member
    I rode a rougher trail today and that sealed the deal--I'm officially hooked on riding rigid. I love the lighter bike for the climbs, and the downs are more fun than ever having to use technique and finesse (and occasionally less speed).

I sent Whisky an email yesterday regarding the blemishes, and didn't get a reply. Since their website has about 5 pages bragging about how "hardworking" they are, I'm a little surprised they didn't respond. I'm starting to wish I bought the Niner fork instead.

Here's a picture in lighting which really highlights one of the "patches". It's like this fork was damaged and repaired, or there was a manufacturing defect they needed to hide. I probably shouldn't be riding it, but I don't see any signs of weakness or structural problems.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whisky Parts No. 7  Tapered Fork-f3.jpg  

get down!
    Yeah, that's BS. Post that pic on their Facebook page and they'll have to respond. I wouldn't pay any $$ close to full price for that. It's like buying a pair of broken in jeans or something? lol
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Ok, I heard back from Whisky.

Basically they strongly reassured me that these are just normal cosmetic patches, and there is nothing to worry about.

While that is good news, I hope they do a better job of letting the customer know that is the "style" of this fork.

Update: Rode the fork again during sunrise this morning on some of my favorite trails, and couldn't be happier with how it rides. I also confirmed with the local LBS that the look of this fork is completely normal for "raw" carbon and not to worry about it. The folks at whisky offered to replace it anyway, which I thought showed outstanding customer service. I'm not going to take them up on it though--I'm happy with it now, warts and all.
    Last edited by Teton29er; 07-31-2012 at 04:53 PM.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Only have about 20/25 hours on it, but I really like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whisky Parts No. 7  Tapered Fork-uploadfromtaptalk1343960111384.jpg  

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Oops, double pic?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This looks suspiciously like the fork on the Civilian Luddite: http://www.hucknroll.com/civilian-bi...e-single-speed.

usually cranky
    iuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuukdssseqqqqqqqqqqqqq 33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 33333333333333333333`````````

usually cranky
    that post courtesy of my cat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    that post courtesy of my cat.
    Not bad for a cat.

usually cranky
    he is pretty advanced.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by Teton29er View Post
    I rode a rougher trail today and that sealed the deal--I'm officially hooked on riding rigid. I love the lighter bike for the climbs, and the downs are more fun than ever having to use technique and finesse (and occasionally less speed).

I sent Whisky an email yesterday regarding the blemishes, and didn't get a reply. Since their website has about 5 pages bragging about how "hardworking" they are, I'm a little surprised they didn't respond. I'm starting to wish I bought the Niner fork instead.

Here's a picture in lighting which really highlights one of the "patches". It's like this fork was damaged and repaired, or there was a manufacturing defect they needed to hide. I probably shouldn't be riding it, but I don't see any signs of weakness or structural problems.
    Looks like a perfectly good UD finish carbon fork to me.
    Have a look at a Tallboy one day. Same finish.
    At the risk of being flamed, this fork looks identical to my Hongfu fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Is there a suggested rider weight limit for this fork?

I'm missing the ride of my carbon rigid fork, but was pushing it by 15 lbs. over and finally twisted one of the mag caps off in a nasty otb wreck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    At the risk of being flamed, this fork looks identical to my Hongfu fork.
    Mine too...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast