mtbr member

Whisky No. 9 15mm TA opinions

Was looking for a tapered 15mmTA for my rigid. Niner RDO seems to be the bet. Was curious if anyone has ride time on the whisky.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just picked mine up yesterday as they just became available. Haven't ridden it yet but its super beefy and light. "looks" way nicer than the RDO and is corrected to 100mm while the RDO is corrected for an 80mm travel fork. I'll keep you posted.

mtbr member

Sub'd

mtbr member
    I went ahead and ordered one. Matte carbon fork with a Canfield Nimble 9 matte frame. When I have it built up I'll post some pictures

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
    I went ahead and ordered one. Matte carbon fork with a Canfield Nimble 9 matte frame. When I have it built up I'll post some pictures
    Wow. That's exactly what I'm planning. Chrome frame with carbon everything. I like your style sir. Waiting on pics for sure

mtbr member
    May 2010
    It will be awesome with a Nimble given that it will ride slacker than the RDO. I Got a ride in on it last night on my SS Ridgeline and It felt right at home on that frame. Super stiff yet buttery smooth. And the Matte carbon with my Matte sattin finish looks pretty sweet too. I'll post a pic soon.

mtbr member
    When I ordered it there was a note that it didn't come with a maxle so I purchased one. When I opened the fork box there was a maxle in it so now I have a spare I guess. If anyone needs a maxle shoot me a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Wow. That's exactly what I'm planning. Chrome frame with carbon everything. I like your style sir. Waiting on pics for sure
    I kept going back and forth between the chrome and matte. Received the fork today, light and sexy looking. Didnt have my phone at the time so no pictures of it yet. I have all the parts but the frame now.

Quote Originally Posted by fleetfox View Post
    It will be awesome with a Nimble given that it will ride slacker than the RDO. I Got a ride in on it last night on my SS Ridgeline and It felt right at home on that frame. Super stiff yet buttery smooth. And the Matte carbon with my Matte sattin finish looks pretty sweet too. I'll post a pic soon.
    The added AC over the Niner forks is what really sold me on the Whisky.

mtbr member

I hear the frames are clearing customs as we speak so they should hopefully ship next week. I cannot wait to see it!!

mtbr member
    Finally built up the bike. The 2.4 Ardent looks quite small in the whisky. I had a little issue getting the maxle through the fork and hub. There was a little epoxy on the driveside dropout which wouldnt let the hub sit correctly. had to take an exacto and clean the dropout.

Whisky No. 9 15mm TA opinions-imag0161.jpg

Whisky No. 9 15mm TA opinions-imag0162.jpg

mtbr member
    Where are you guys getting the Whiskey #9? I was going to get a Niner RDO but now maybe not.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I just ordered one. Both Tree Fort and Universal have them. As of yesterday, the warehouse had 9 available -- well, there are 8 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Where are you guys getting the Whiskey #9? I was going to get a Niner RDO but now maybe not.

mtbr member
    Yeah, ended up grabbing one from Tree Fort Bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've been eyeing that for awhile... Great to see it on a bike, and on a Nimble no less...

Please tell us about the brake line routing...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Wow. That's exactly what I'm planning. Chrome frame with carbon everything. I like your style sir.
    Also the seatpost? Does it work nicely with a steel frame?

mtbr member
    Think I'm sold! Here in Europe I can get it for about 390 Euro shipped, which seems great!

I just need to decide between matte and gloss.. Probably matte, with my light blue matte steel frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    We ordered both the gloss and the matte. Both look really nice. I picked the matte since it's going on a Ti frame. Any painted frame I'd go gloss.

transmitter~receiver
    any real world weights?
    for the same price as the Niner the extra weight is just the trade-off for not having a Niner, or what's the draw?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
    I've been eyeing that for awhile... Great to see it on a bike, and on a Nimble no less...

Please tell us about the brake line routing...
    Whisky No. 9 15mm TA opinions-imag0222.jpg

Whisky No. 9 15mm TA opinions-imag0227.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    any real world weights?
    for the same price as the Niner the extra weight is just the trade-off for not having a Niner, or what's the draw?
    The whisky has a 480 a-c while the niner is 470.

mtbr member
    To my knowledge, No. 9 is the only rigid with all the following characteristics:

- Tapered steerer
    - 15 mm thru-axle
    - Long (10 mm longer than Miner's for instance)

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0222.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	830117
    Is it possible to route the brake cable out? Are there some spots where I can attach a zip tie?

I'll interchange the Whisky with a suspended fork, and it won't be practical to route the cable in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solitone View Post
    Is it possible to route the brake cable out? Are there some spots where I can attach a zip tie?

I'll interchange the Whisky with a suspended fork, and it won't be practical to route the cable in.
    Not any physical tie points but it should work just fine running zip ties if they are tight enough

mtbr member
    But to route it in, do you have to unmount lever or caliper?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker View Post
    We ordered both the gloss and the matte. Both look really nice. I picked the matte since it's going on a Ti frame. Any painted frame I'd go gloss.
    Yeah, today I made up my mind and ordered it gloss.

transmitter~receiver

The whisky has a 480 a-c while the niner is 470.
    That's a good thing, and may account for the extra weight, or at least some of it.

mtbr member
    But to route it in, do you have to unmount lever or caliper?
    You will have to take the line off the lever then cut off the fitting so that you can route the line through. You will need new fittings and a bleed.

Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    That's a good thing, and may account for the extra weight, or at least some of it.
    The longer a-c is the entire reason I went with the whisky instead of the niner.

transmitter~receiver

The longer a-c is the entire reason I went with the whisky instead of the niner.
    I have a 44mm head tube, so my effective A-C was lengthened by almost the same amount because I used a CK InSet 7 with an external cup to run the tapered fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Here is mine. If I remembered correctly, the pre-cut weight is approximately 730 grams. btw...those are my skinny CX tires.

Last edited by justaute; 09-08-2013 at 06:50 PM.

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Here is mine. If I remembered correctly, the weight is approximately 730 grams. btw...those are my skinny CX tires.
    Nice bike. looks like a high quality featherweight rig.
    My cut 1-1/8" Niner was was under 500g. Didn't weigh my RDO before I installed it.
    The matte Whiskys look dope. Options are always good.

Ride Everything
    To my knowledge, No. 9 is the only rigid with all the following characteristics:

- Tapered steerer
    - 15 mm thru-axle
    - Long (10 mm longer than Miner's for instance)
    Carver's Trail-490 also fits those requirements.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member

Weighed: Whisky Parts No. 9 Mountain

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Whisky No. 9 15mm TA opinions-1524639_10202105126341190_2053237627_n.jpgLooking to get the Whisky over the Niner for my 2014 ELMAR SS. Matte or Gloss?

mtbr member
    Gloss

mtbr member
    To be more specific, I agree with the advice Schmucker gave me some time ago:
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker View Post
    Any painted frame I'd go gloss.
    I also was in doubt, but in the end I took gloss, and I'm very satisfied with my choice.

Here are some pics:

get down!
    MRP makes a 480 A-C through axle fork now. (Formerly branded as White Brothers).

Al steerer though. Not sure of the weight.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    That Whisky fork is also the only fork out that currently works with a Knard/Rabbit Hole combo with lots of clearance.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JYB View Post
    That Whisky fork is also the only fork out that currently works with a Knard/Rabbit Hole combo with lots of clearance.
    Can someone echo this?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    How's ride quality? I'm on a steel fork right now (surly) and am going to build up a 2014 KM and can't decide one the Whiskey or 9er RDO.

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I don't have a Whisky fork...yet. Looking at the numbers, it seems to be more of a direct replacement for the Krampus fork. Definitely more clearance than the Niner fork, from what I've seen.

i don't give a shift
    First ride on mine. It replaced a No. 7. Feels harsher than a No. 7 or a Niner, but oh what a thru-axle can do. That's some razor-sharp steering.

blogging @29in.CH

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    So how harsh are we talking? How does it compare to a stock karate monkey fork (if you have experience one on)?

i don't give a shift
    I have no experience with a Karate Monkey fork. I've owned a Pace RC29, a straight and a tapered Niner and ran a No. 7 on my Forty-Four before. The tapered Niner and No. 7 felt very similar. The No. 9 is a bit more unforgiving across rocks and roots in my opinion. Those extremely wide fork legs might not give the fork as much flex as others. Despite that, I came back impressed. It seems like the reduced comfort was offset by the increased lateral stiffness from the thru-axle interface. How? Without even thinking too much about it, I rode this 15mm TA fork more aggressively than any QR fork. That aggressive style in turn, translated to body and mind reacting more quickly to the hits the fork passed on. dgaddis over at SingleTracks.com didn't find the No. 7 and No. 9 all that different. Ultimately, I think it comes down to the rider and the terrain he or she rides.
    blogging @29in.CH

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Like others I've been thinking of going this direction but am concerned about them failing in a rough rocky riding situations. I have really liked the Kona P2 fork that came stock on my bike but can appreciate the weight savings and increased lateral rigidity of a No.9

Has anyone had one fail yet? I'd like to see a few more posts on how and why they fail. That way I can see if I'd be putting my fork in that same position. I ride the same terrain and trails on my rigid Unit that I ride on a FS Transition Covert 29er. As it stands now I'm just not sure about them holding up...Am I crazy ? When they fail is it instantaneous? Whats the process? Are my concerns unwarranted ? Any help would be great...Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am looking to ditch the Rockshox on my carbon Superfly. Goals are: improved handling via more precision & weight loss. I'm not fully enjoying the Rockshox revolution yet so I ride it on lockout all the time anyway, and I think it's better than full squish mode. With modern 29" tires being so soft & cushy anyway, I don't think I really need a Rockshock for trail riding. By the time I got the shock tuned properly it's not that squishy anyway, and then, why bother hauling the extra 2# on the trails? If I lived in the mountains I would surely sing a different tune!

The No 9 looks like the ticket but it's spendy. Are there other options out there yet?

mtbr member

Re: Whisky No. 9 15mm TA opinions

I prefer the Niner RDO fork. Still spendy. The normal version can be had for 275-300 in great shape used.
    CRAMBA Chairman

i don't give a shift
    Quote Originally Posted by anemic View Post
    Are there other options out there yet?
    Niner's RDO or xmIplay's IP-FK-052.
    blogging @29in.CH

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by captnpenguin View Post
    So how harsh are we talking? How does it compare to a stock karate monkey fork (if you have experience one on)?
    I have the Civilian version of the Whiskey and I'd say it's similar to the latest KM fork. It takes out a little more chatter. Great steering however and I just have the QR version.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JYB View Post
    The Carver 490 also works well and has more clearance and 10mm more A/C Trail-490 Carbon Fork

mtbr member

Wish the TA was available when I ordered my No.7 (one of the first batches off the production line). Even with the standard QR, it's very stiff. Perfect match for my rigid El Mariachi wearing 2.4 shoes...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkbike2 View Post
    The Carver 490 also works well and has more clearance and 10mm more A/C Trail-490 Carbon Fork
    Thank you jfbike2 in particular. I really like that Carver line! Thanks other riders for the links & thoughts & opinions as well.