mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Where to go from a Bontrager 29-1 (2" wide) rear tire that slips...

All last year I rode with a Bontrager 29-1 29x2.0 Expert on the rear. It was a really fast tire but when the trail got steep, it would slip. Also, riding a hardtail, it didn't have much cush to it. I ride single-tracks in Michigan (hardpack with lots of sections that are loamy or sandy).

I'm looking to replace it with a lightweight tire that grips a lot better and can be ridden soft so I get a bit more cushion in the rear.

I just installed clips (Crank Bros Candies) for the first time this year so those little losses of traction just became big problems for me

mtbr member
    If you want cush you need a bigger tire. For hardpack i would go for a Saguaro. Many other choices in this thread: Need a better rear tire for hardpack...which of these options?

Rub it............
    Racing Ralph 29x2.2 Evo SS. Great tire, lightweight, great traction.

mtbr member
    What are your trails like? Hardpack dirt? Loose leaves/pine needles over hardpack? Loose conditions? Hard to recommend a tire without knowing what you'll be riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    What are your trails like? Hardpack dirt? Loose leaves/pine needles over hardpack? Loose conditions? Hard to recommend a tire without knowing what you'll be riding.
    I stated this in my original post: "I ride single-tracks in Michigan (hardpack with lots of sections that are loamy or sandy)."

To elaborate a bit. Most of the trails I ride are flowing trails through about 50/50 pine and hardwood forests. The trails around here have around a 100' complete elevation window, however it's a near constant up and down. The trails that go through the pines tend to be made up of a very spongy (porous) soil and the hardwood trails are very hard dirt with a layer of dusty soil on top.

The most devastating slippage occurs on rooty hill climbs at 3-4 mph (no momentum left). I hit a root or rock with my rear tire and loose a complete pedal cycle. Not bad in tennis shoes, but a fall can occur with clips.