mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Wheelset upgrade to Crank Brothers Iodine or Cobalt

Looking to upgrade my wheelset but I'm not sure what I have today. I have a Giant Trance X 29er 1 and the wheels as per spec is Giant P-XC29er 2, Double Wall.

First, just wanted to make sure that replacing to a Crank Bros. Iodine or Cobalt is indeed an upgrade?

Second, if I just do single-track trails, which is better -- Iodine or Cobalt?

Rub it............
    Yes, the CB's will be an upgrade.

The Cobalts are an XC/Race wheel, depending on the level (11, 3 or 2) and the Iodines are classified as an All Mountain wheelset - meaning for a longer travel bike.

But, probably the best match for your bike (not knowing your riding style), might be the Iodine 3's or the Cobalt 2's.

If your a smooth rider through technical terrain, you probably could get away with the Cobalt 3's.

Iodine and Cobalt wheelsets are on the clymb right now for stupid cheap.

The Clymb

Wheelset upgrade to Crank Brothers Iodine or Cobalt-screen-shot-2013-09-18-3.31.jpg
    Last edited by duggus; 11-18-2013 at 08:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Oh boy.........IMO do not roll the dice with CB products and look elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    Oh boy.........IMO do not roll the dice with CB products and look elsewhere
    Based on? Believe me... I've been researching the crap out of this and most "don't get CB" comments are from people who either "heard from a friend" or "a friends-friends-friends-cousin". I'm getting a set due to all the GOOD things I've heard from people who actually have them and abuse them (the burlier Iodine's).

Hans Rey runs crank bros wheels exclusively and beats the hell out of them.

The early hubs suffered from issues, yes... years ago... solved now.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Iodine and Cobalt wheelsets are on the clymb right now for stupid cheap.

http://www.theclymb.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen-shot-2013-09-18-at-3.31.jpg 
Views:	817 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	833178

Never mind
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

Warrior's Society
    I have been on a set of Iodine 3 29 for a year and a half......put over 4500 miles on them.

I have done zero maint. on them.

I expected to break them early on. They have been solid since day 1.

I did knock the rear out of true slightly, but was able to toss it in the truing stand and straighten it out.

Freehub still looks brand new.

Sucked a 1" branch through the wheel and broke the branch....didn't even bend a spoke.

The older Iodines are not as wide as Arch Ex's.....but I think the new versions are getting wider rim profile.

Set up tubeless pretty easy.

They are a strong and solide wheel.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Based on? Believe me... I've been researching the crap out of this and most "don't get CB" comments are from people who either "heard from a friend" or "a friends-friends-friends-cousin". I'm getting a set due to all the GOOD things I've heard from people who actually have them and abuse them (the burlier Iodine's).

Also curious why CB gets so much bad press, if they were so bad they wouldnt be in business right?
    2012 Scott Scale Expert
    2006 Orbea Orca

Doc Holiday
    May 2010

Cool-blue Rhythm Amen to that....These wheels are bombproof with hucks to flat indeed..No truing

Seems as if there's a dedicated army of crank bros haters that love to embellish tall tails of just how bad these wheels are.I've been on them for 3 seasons hard without even a truing....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bohns1 View Post
    Seems as if there's a dedicated army of crank bros haters that love to embellish tall tails of just how bad these wheels are.I've been on them for 3 seasons hard without even a truing....
    They are hit and miss. Not all of their products fail. Some riders have never had a problem and others nothing but.......I have witnessed and experienced both.

Again those wheels get a bad rap for a reason.

Crank Brothers Cobalt 2 29er Wheelset Reviews - Mtbr.com

If they "fixed" their past issues then go for it.......seem cheap enough.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Team-Robot: BREAKING NEWS!!! from TEAM ROBOT

Hilarious but true review of those wheels.
    BICYCLES ARE FUN!!!!

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Dog_Bikes View Post
    Team-Robot: BREAKING NEWS!!! from TEAM ROBOT

Hilarious but true review of those wheels.
    That is amazing. Love the quotes from the investment banker.

F crank brothers. The only thing I've ever purchased from them was a mini pump. I used it a grand total of 4 times before the pos left me stranded on a trail 8 miles from my car.

Doc Holiday
    May 2010
    I don't know..Maybe I've been lucky..But not even having to perform as much as a tru in 3 years!! I'll take it..Maybe it's the updated free hub..As another user stated ..They are designed for bigger rubber and that's what I run .So maybe it's that as well..

On a side note..I sent in a cheap plastic pair of candy's that came on my ride for a rebuild..Crank brothers sent me back the $350 pair of candy 11's. .That of wich are absolutely bomb proof at season 2..

Guess what I'm saying is they haven't really give me a reason to bit@#* yet..and gestures like that ...well I can't fault them for making it right and then some..

It's more than I can say for some of the other companies I've dealt with in this industry..

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Doc Holiday
    May 2010
    That review posted is for the cobalts. .First few posts I could already tell these dudes were on the wrong wheels..240 lb AM RIDING on cobalts!!! Ha of course they will fail..Those are cross country wheels.. you can't be over 200 lbs running cobalts..

I've seen the same with a dude riding stans crests on brutal terrain as a Clydesdale. .

It's all about proper tool for job !!!!

The Fastest of Bananas
    Their wheels are a good product. I say go for it.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

The Fastest of Bananas
    ^this. Some people dont recognize that they are fat and the product isn't the problem, they are.

Doc Holiday
    May 2010

Re: Wheelset upgrade to Crank Brothers Iodine or Cobalt

Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    ^this. Some people dont recognize that they are fat and the product isn't the problem, they are.

Haha +1 on that ..I'll add to that that some pick sloppy lines and lack finesse..You can damage any wheel from any manufacturer in these cases..

Doc Holiday
    May 2010
    Either way I'm stoked enough on them that I'll be upgrading to the wider 2014 iodines 29 version..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socalpete View Post
    Also curious why CB gets so much bad press, if they were so bad they wouldnt be in business right?
    Because they consistently design a product, put it on the market and only then figure out if it will work or not.

Whether it was Eggbeaters coming off their axles at random intervals, the Speedball 'exactly the same as Maverick's problems and all' seat post or it's replacement the Kronolog and it's serrated edges being drawn through the wiper seal (and steel grip jaws clamping a load bearing aluminium surface) or cracking free hub bodies and rims that can bend in the gaps between spoke pairings, if you buy Crankies you're the prototype tester.

For the record, all of those failings were things that were handed to me whilst I was a lucky lucky shop rat. To Crank Bros credit they replaced everything pretty much no questions asked, but at the same time you could have something from Hope, DT, Am Classic and never have to return it in the first place.

Doc Holiday
    May 2010
    For the record I've totally destroyed DT (tacoed) rim..Now that was one the proprietary versions that came on the stumpjumper but still ..Also that happened on what I called choosing a bad line..That was actually when I purchased my iodines, and why is stated above that you can destroy anything from any manufacturer. I do thank DT for wanting me to pay for a new wheel . As in if they would have gave me one I wouldn't be on the iodine set that I've been on for 3 season...(Not bashing DT either, just sayin..)

Doc Holiday
    May 2010
    I agree on the lack of R&D though from CB. .They have tarnished there rep by choosing to make the customer the test rat, and the kronolog was a brutal experiment coming from the reviews I've read. .If CB could maintain the customer service they provide , but make it so the customer would have to use it LESS!! They could maybe turn it around in 2014..

mtbr member
    I've had both good and bad experiences with CB customer service. The early days of the eggbeaters I had the usual departure from the axle problems. Send them in and they would either fix them or send a new set no questions asked. Last year I had a brand new set of Candy3 pedals on a 4 day MTB trip. They were trashed by the end of 145 miles of riding. I sent them in to get repaired because the beaters were bent on both pedals. CB called me up and told me that there was no way I only had 145 miles on the pedals in the condition they were in. I agreed that they looked like crap and failed miserably for that amount of mileage. That's why I sent them back to them! They had the gall to argue with me about it and looked up the manufacture date to claim that I was lying about how new the pedals were. Things set in warehouses and on shop shelves for quite some time believe it or not CB. I sent them a copy of my receipt to prove that they were new. Then they said that their warranty doesn't cover "impact" damage. Really? MTB pedals are not supposed to impact anything apparently. I ended up having to pay to get brand new pedals fixed after 145 miles of riding. I no longer ride CB pedals.

I have heard great things about their wheels from the guys that ride them around here. I have been tempted to get a set. Seems that they have the bugs worked out of them now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm on me second set of cobalts. My first was on my 26 er and they were good wheels. Easy to set up tubeless and I broke one spoke in four years. I did have the hub engagement spacer fail on me on a trip to Moab and was forced to rent a bike. I took the wheels to CB, I live near their office and they fixed it while I waited. They said that the factory had changed the spec and that was what had been causing several failures. So not poor design just poor oversight or QC.
    The second set of Cobalt 3's, I've been running on my Tallboy 29er for 2 years with zero issues. So I have no complaints with the wheels. The Kronolog is another story though. Oh and I weigh 165...