Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Idea! Wheelset recomendations

Need wheelset recomendations;

Easton. WTB, Bontrager, any others

I get 15% off Bontrager/Trek items at my shop for buying my bike there, always a plus but I really want something that will let me turn my HT Superfly into everything mountain I want it to be.

Having 2 sets is ideal, no need to sell the originals, but I do climb a lot which lets me go down even harder. Weight isn't so important because theres strength that goes with it because I know I could just go carbon and say forget it.

Budget is no more than 400 a wheel 800 for a wheelset, and really dont want to be spending that much. I'll match my cassette, rotor and wheels for the new wheelset so I'll literally having a in-town, to and from set and a true weekend WARRIOR set.

I'm not opposed to buying components sepereate from the wheelset, hubs, spokes, rims.. etc. but it will take a while to put together(I wont be doing it)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    hope you dont mind, ill piggy back on this thread. we are on the same boat. which superfly do you have? was looking at the ZTR Flow EX 29er but got confused when i saw portions of the site about buying kits to convert to QR and to certain axle sizes..

i have the 12' AL ELITE and i cant seem to find any specific details as to the parts of my bike. .
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    Stans Arch EX/Stans hubs. Proven, strong, and light.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Just got a set of Stand ZTR Flow rims on sale 50% off !!
    You can let stans build the wheelset or take parts to a local shop.
    I am going to take mine to a local shop to assemble for $40 each.
    I am still deciding on my budget but will go with industry nine, hadley, or chris king hubs because they all have the +70 POE and reputation I want.
    DT Swiss spokes are the way to go.

mtbr member
    You're supposed to tell us where you got this great deal!
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    I bought my stans on sale half off directly from stand sale/clearance section.

mtbr member
    can't go wrong with Stan Flows with DT Swiss spokes, in that price range I'd look at Hope Pro II hubs or XT hubs. I opted to empty out my kids college saving and build my wheelset with Chris King hubs
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I checked out Stan's but they list appx. weight of rider? That makes me feel a little skeptical of them. I'm 6' at 235, currently.
    Great prices and even better you have the option to custom make the rims.

I guess what I'm saying, What makes a rim strong and good?

mtbr member
    you'll be fine on Flows, my one buddy is 250+ and rides hard, wheels are straight and true.

ZTR Flow 29" - 36 Hole Black
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bapski View Post
    hope you dont mind, ill piggy back on this thread. we are on the same boat. which superfly do you have? was looking at the ZTR Flow EX 29er but got confused when i saw portions of the site about buying kits to convert to QR and to certain axle sizes..

i have the 12' AL ELITE and i cant seem to find any specific details as to the parts of my bike. .
    I also have the 12 Superfly 100 AL Elite. I purchased the Flow EX from Stans and have been happy with them. Much better than the narrow Mustang 29 rims.

Call Stans when you order and they will build the correct wheel for your bike, you do not need the conversion kit. They will build you the standard quick release wheels. If you order an already built wheel you may need the conversion kit, but not when you have them build you a set. I actually emailed them photos of my existing hubs before hand to make sure they knew what I had.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by treasureman View Post
    I also have the 12 Superfly 100 AL Elite. I purchased the Flow EX from Stans and have been happy with them. Much better than the narrow Mustang 29 rims.

Call Stans when you order and they will build the correct wheel for your bike, you do not need the conversion kit. They will build you the standard quick release wheels. If you order an already built wheel you may need the conversion kit, but not when you have them build you a set. I actually emailed them photos of my existing hubs before hand to make sure they knew what I had.
    thank you for the input. just sent them an email and looks like i need a $20 conversion kit for the front wheel. think im good with the rear.. .

do they charge extra if you have them build a wheel to my specs?

how are you loving your SF? love mine!
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bapski View Post
    thank you for the input. just sent them an email and looks like i need a $20 conversion kit for the front wheel. think im good with the rear.. .

do they charge extra if you have them build a wheel to my specs?

how are you loving your SF? love mine!
    They did not charge me any extra to build the wheels to fit my bike, same price as listed on the website. Talk to Peter.

I like the SF a lot better with the new Flow EX wheels. I was burping air when running the Mustang's wheels tubeless.

WWJR
    cant go wrong with Stans ArchEX & i9's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wheelset recomendations-dsc00595.jpg  

-Santa Cruz TBLTc
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down... all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

They did not charge me any extra to build the wheels to fit my bike, same price as listed on the website. Talk to Peter.

I like the SF a lot better with the new Flow EX wheels. I was burping air when running the Mustang's wheels tubeless.
    Quote Originally Posted by *CO20niner View Post
    cant go wrong with Stans ArchEX & i9's
    forgot to ask you guys which tires you went with.. thanks again.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Tire selection is dependent to the type of trails you ride (rooty, smooth, slick rock, etc). I'm rolling on Ignitors.
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member
    I got my Flow with CK single speed hub with 14g DT spokes (36h, 4 cross) for $650-$680 + shipping for the set from Larry at Ghisallo Wheels - Custom Wheels. That was the best price I could find.

Also, few people have got Flow with Hope hubs for around $350 from wiggle.com | Hope Performance Wheels which is the best deal I've ever seen.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So I do need some new rims; My SuperFly is back from the bike shop and my rear rim is still off. I have my bars and seat dialed in along with my tires' pressures. My rear rim did have wiggle room dispete how tight I was able to put on my axle and that was tightened up to rid of the wobble, but dispite that my rim still has a noticable wobble, especially noticable in turns... not cool.

I can definetaly feel the weight of my bike now and need a def stronger rim without the weight.. Really wish carbon was in my price range.

mtbr member
    Does your rear wheel wiggle at the hub? Or are you talking about flex in the wheel?

+1 to the Stan's wheelset. Tough to beat it as far as cost, strength, and weight.
    Best Source for Ellsworth Devinci and Ventana!
    Velorangutan... the pedal type.
    Motorangutan... the motorized type.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My superfly has Mustangs by Bontrager and where the "Mustang" is print on the rim, theres a clear bend. I had it in the shop and picked it up yesterday; had spokes checkes, cables.. a tune up.

I posted a new thread - Trading Up! Please read!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickgears View Post
    So I do need some new rims; My SuperFly is back from the bike shop and my rear rim is still off. I have my bars and seat dialed in along with my tires' pressures. My rear rim did have wiggle room dispete how tight I was able to put on my axle and that was tightened up to rid of the wobble, but dispite that my rim still has a noticable wobble, especially noticable in turns... not cool.
    I had the same problem with my X-cal rear wheel. My LBS had to remove the rear cassette and retighten the rear hub. Took 5 minutes and no more wobble.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Stickgears,
    Take a look at the new Bontrager wheelsets they just came out with . You might be able to get the RXL's within your budget with the discount. DT Swiss internals , lite, strong and stiff and you will get the support of your LBS.

Yeah I know a bunch of people here will knock them but if you are a clyde with the new models these should be very competitive. Not sure you will be able to build a wheel set with DT Swiss Straightpull 240s for less than your discount price .
    Last edited by grendalfly; 09-24-2012 at 07:08 PM. Reason: sp

mtbr member
    I'm digging my Mavic C29SSMAX wheelset. It's at the upper end of your budget, but you can probably get them under retail, though. Super easy to set up tubeless, even using floppy Maxxis kevlar bead tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Do all of the Stans rims come without eyelets? Would that effect the longevity of the rim?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Are all of the Stans wheels tubeless? What about a guy that is not wanting to go tubeless?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast