mtbr member

Wheelset choice EA70 XC, Blackflag Expert or CrossRide

I'm currently on a WTB LaserDisc and Deore hub (2350gr) set but the time has come to get an upgrade, my goal was Stans Crest but being 190lbs Arch's would be a better idea at 1700gr

The thing is that Stans Arch are 500usd everywhere and I found out that Blackflag's are 150gr heavier listed at 300usd on JensonUSA, then Easton EA70 and at last the new Crossride being the heavier at 2050gr

I'm not a weight weenie and usually ride on hardpack and XC, every once in a while a rocky trail, I do not spend a lot of air time though.

A couple of friends are running Crossride on their 26 and have heard they're bulletproof, I wonder how the 29er ones perform, the downside is the weight being almost 2100gr

So, in the 300usd price which ones would suit me better? I'm running tubeless on Schwalbe's and Specialized tires so tubeless friendly is a must

Or should I just save a couple more months and get Stans Arch?

BlueSkyCycling.com - Mavic Crossride Disc 29er Wheelset 2013

Sun Ringle Black Flag Expert 29 Wheelset > Components > Wheel Goods > Mountain Bike Wheels | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    I don't know much about the black flag or the mavic, but I am running the Easton...at least on the front. It seems like a good rim and still running true and I have ridden it hard. I do have reserves on replacing my rear with the Easton. I weigh 213bs. And being only 24 spoke I have doubts that it will stay strong with the abuse., but it is a solid wheel set and will will be good for what you want to do. If it were me I would get the Sun ringle. I am not a weight wennie and have looked at the S.R. MTX 33 for the rear. I have red good things about S.R. which is why I am suggesting the black flags.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'min the 160lb range and have been riding the EA70 wheels for a little over a year. I had to have the front radically trued once, but only because I rammed a sizeable root at ludicrous speed on a ride. Truly, my fault. I wouldn't fault any wheel after that whack. More importantly, the rear has stayed nice and true throughout. I have hit it with the spoke wrench a couple of times, expecting to find something to tighten, only to find nothing to do.

I was skeptical of the low spoke count, too. Now I think they are a pretty solid set of wheels. I like them a lot.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

mtbr member
    You will not regret getting the Arch EX wheelset. Spend the extra money and you will be VERY happy with them. They can be found for around $450
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Certainly I know Arch will be my best choice but there are a couple of good deals around that could save me some bucks

After doing some research I'm leaning towards Blackflags Expert, bead technology from Notubes, 1850gr and around 300usd sounds good to me, Easton EA70 still on the list but now I'm discarding Mavic Crossride's

Also I realized that my current set is actually on the 2500gr so I might be shaving around 650gr on the Blackflag's

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sun-Ringles parent supplies stans with their hubs and rims. I'm pretty sure that is why they went with the BST system. The reviews I've read on the ea70's=flexy, and ridden on the black flags=stiff.

mtbr member
    The Black Flag wheels use an almost identical rim shape and size as the Stans Arch, use quality Wheelsmith spokes, and the hubs are made by Chosen whom also make the Stans ZTR hubs. Even with 28 spokes they are still quite solid and easily work tubeless.

They would be my choice of the three hands down...especially for $300!
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    I bought a set of Pure wheels with XT hubs from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. They are a small company in Huntington Beach, CA and build their wheels by hand.

The 29er wheels I got were on sale for $175 -- reg. price $349. you can still get them for $175

They are beautiful red wheels with black spokes (view them in my gallery) and they are light and true. I am 6'1" and 255, and in the three months I've had them, no problems. I also noticed a definite increase in the speed and acceleration of my bike with these wheels.

Ohh.. And Pat, one of the owners , called me after he got my order to make sure I got the right spokes and nipples for my size... You can't ask for more than that.

Mountain - 29er - Bicycle Wheel Warehouse
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    Here;s a pic of the BWW front wheel,
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

mtbr member
    I was in the same boat as the OP couple of weeks ago. I ended up going with Eastons as it was hard to beat the $400shipped price for the set.
    got them on the bike last week but so far haven't done any singletrack yet. they are awesome to look at and the spokes are tight as it can be.
    I'm 185lb and wanted to shed some weight off my bike that came with WTB FX28 stock. Ended up saving over 700g with Eastons. The low spoke count isn't a problem for me plus the spokes are slightly thicker than the WTBs.

cmorrow001
    May 2011
    Does anyone know if I can buy an adapter for the Black Flags on Jenson to make them usable for 9mm QR front? I think they are a steal for $300.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    That front hub is a Sun-Ringle demon. They do make a 9mm conversion for it and chainreactioncycles was the only place I found them online but they were "sold out". I would go to your LBS and have them order that part from Sun

mtbr member
    I dont think the Blag Flags are convertable. I do agree with the poster; amazing price for a solid wheelset!
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Well just pulled the trigger on the Blackflag's Q/R and a set of Ashima rotors, according to specs my bike might be loosing around 700gr on the upgrade, can't wait...

mtbr member
    Been looking at those, I found a set of the Black Flag Comps near me for $379, anyone know the difference....or know how I can justify the extra $120+ for the Stan's Arch EX set to my wife...

cmorrow001
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kevocastro View Post
    Well just pulled the trigger on the Blackflag's Q/R and a set of Ashima rotors, according to specs my bike might be loosing around 700gr on the upgrade, can't wait...
    Where did you find them with QR?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Brig View Post
    Been looking at those, I found a set of the Black Flag Comps near me for $379, anyone know the difference....or know how I can justify the extra $120+ for the Stan's Arch EX set to my wife...
    Here are the 2012 experts for $404 shipped Sun Ringle 29" XC Black Flag Expert Wheelset 9/15/20 Black from ModernBike.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmorrow001 View Post
    Where did you find them with QR?
    Actually got em from a guy at eBay, he got them laying around BNIB

mtbr member
    For $379 - I think you go with the Stans Archs. Contact Bikerbob on these forums; I got mine for a STEAL! And mine were custom! Standard set will probobly run $450 from Bikerbob

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Good luck with the wheels. I am 6'0 190 pounds (your size) and I noticed a huge difference when I got the Black Flags. My only complaint with them in my two years is that they will flex a bit while in some tech single track.
    But I could put up with it considering the weight, ease of mounting tubeless, and the durability. I hard pretty hard on wheels and never an issue.

Good luck and keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^ wtf?