mtbr member

Wheelset advise-sun ringle-AM classic

Truely hope someone can help me with my current dilemma.
    About to pull the trigger on a new wheelset for my air 9 build....my main problem is that everytime i find a wheelset that seems suitable, there seems to be some kind of a problem peaple are having....(free hub, durability, e.c.t)
    -IF YOU PAY 600-800$ FOR A WHEELSET THOSE THINGS BETTER BE STELLAR
    -Anyways I am leaning towards american classic AM 29 or sun ringle charger pro SL 29
    i weigh 205-210 and ride relatively rooty eastcoast singletrack just FYI
    -IF ANYONE CAN PROVIDE INSIGHT FOR THESE WHEELS OR OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS THAT WOULD BE EXTREMELY APPRECIATED.

Fat-tired Roadie
    If you're ready to pay that much, why not get something custom? Then you can choose the hubs, spokes and rims you want.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Honestly i have thought about this quit a lot and have emailed and talked to quit a few wheel builders and i love the idea of having a custom wheelset built around dt240's or chris kings but i think the rim selection and weight seems to scare me off because it seems like the only rim they recommend to me are the flows and its hard for me to pay 700-800$ for a wheelset that weighs 2000g. But that is just my train of thought on the matter. but please feel free to let me know if you think i am taking the wrong approach

The White Jeff W
    I have a couple Sun Ringle wheelsets and have had no problems with either. Im 6'3" and hover around 200 lbs. I have Charger Pro's on my 650B hardtail and Black Flag Pro's on my 29er. They're relatively light and stiff and the hubs, IMO, are terrific. They roll very smoothly and every time Ive opened them up to do a service I just put them right back together because they were spotless inside. I switched to the Black Flags from Hope Pro II/Flows and the reduction in rolling resistance was noticeable.

There's some good deals floating around on the Sun Ringle Chargers

Charger Pro's @ $431 (not the SL) - Sun Ringle Charger Pro 29er Wheelset 2012 | Chain Reaction Cycles

If you look at the rim profiles the old Chargers are actually slightly wider than the SL's.

http://sun-ringle.com/wp-content/upl...files_rev_.pdf
    No moss...

mtbr member
    You will be fine on Arch Ex. I have two sets of Arches that have held up for 3+ years. When I got them I was 235-240, and stayed that weight for a year give or take. Since then I am down to about 200, and the wheels are still going strong. The Arch Ex is supposed to be stronger than the Arch. For that amount of money you should get some great hubs laced to Arch Ex.

The White Jeff W
    Im getting the impression that he wants something wider than the Arch (He's looking at Am wheelsets). If not then the Black Flag Pro would be a good choice.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    hey jeffw- my main concern with the charger pro sl's is that my air 9 that im building has 135mm dropouts meant for standard QR or 10x135mm and i can seem to confirm whether i can run that type of axle with these wheels. so any info you could give me would be great-im certainly a competent rider but somewhat of a newbie when it comes to the technical and mechanical aspects. thanks

Fat-tired Roadie
    The web site says they're available in a bunch of axle specs including traditional quick release. So, buy the quick release version.

I don't like straight-pull spokes, but they are becoming more common. So you can probably source one without too much hassle if it comes up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    The web site says they're available in a bunch of axle specs including traditional quick release. So, buy the quick release version.

I don't like straight-pull spokes, but they are becoming more common. So you can probably source one without too much hassle if it comes up.
    Ok i just thought the standard QR rear was a 9mm and my main concern is stiffness in the rear end so i wanted to be able to run at-least a 10mm TA rear and i know that sun ringle has 135x12 endcaps i just was not sure if this was compatible with my frame. Again im still relatively new to the through axle situation so i just want to make sure i understand the compatibility.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Traditionally, front axles are 9 mm and rear axles are 10 mm. Typically, they both accept a quick release skewer. I don't know of a 10 mm through axle, but maybe you're thinking of a solid axle? Certainly Niner's web site just talks about 135 mm spacing and a quick release.

Have you chosen the fork yet? That's going to at least narrow down your options for the axle type up front.

mtbr member
    Traditionally, front axles are 9 mm and rear axles are 10 mm. Typically, they both accept a quick release skewer. I don't know of a 10 mm through axle, but maybe you're thinking of a solid axle? Certainly Niner's web site just talks about 135 mm spacing and a quick release.

Have you chosen the fork yet? That's going to at least narrow down your options for the axle type up front.
    i am leaning towards the 2014 rockshox reba rlt tapered with a 15mm TA or possibly a mugura ts8 tapered 15mm as well but i am sort of in the same boat as the wheels (not really sure) since this is my first custom build and i am spending a significant amount of money i want to make sure i choose wisely and carefully.....and if you have an opinion on those forks as well i would appreciate it....the rockshox seem pretty good and i briefly rode an epic with the reba and it felt nice, i just want to make sure the stiffness will be sufficient because I'm a bigger rider that tends to ride fairly hard on moderately technical terrain. By the way i really appreciate your expertise and helping me get more knowledgeable in regards to this stuff

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by wolverine.NC View Post
    hey jeffw- my main concern with the charger pro sl's is that my air 9 that im building has 135mm dropouts meant for standard QR or 10x135mm and i can seem to confirm whether i can run that type of axle with these wheels. so any info you could give me would be great-im certainly a competent rider but somewhat of a newbie when it comes to the technical and mechanical aspects. thanks
    My wheels came with 135x10 QR and 142x12 adapters for the rear wheel and 9mm, 15mm and 20mm adapters for the front. They were also taped, have valve stems, 2 bottles of Stans and front & rear QR skewers!
    No moss...

mtbr member
    I have had a set of the older Charger Pro wheels on a Banshee Prime for the past two years. I'm very happy with them. I'm 215lbs. without gear and I ride fairly aggressively. Just for your information, the rear comes fitted with a 135 X 10mm, rear axle and the front with a 9mm. The skewers are supplied. As mentioned the front has all the popular end caps, also supplied. There is also an available a 135mm. Rear Conversion axle that is a 12mm. to 10mm. step down conversion, facilitating bolting the rear wheel to the frame. I have the conversion, it is very stiff and works well. It cost me about $35 extra.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member

At one time there was a 10mm TA(thru bolt) for the rear that fit standard frames. KORE and DT Swiss were two companies that ran this option, really stiffened the rear end up before frame manufacturers starting building the 12mm TA frames for the AM/Trail bikes.
    Trying to painfully relive some of youthful adventures!!

The White Jeff W

Re: Wheelset advise-sun ringle-AM classic

Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan View Post
    At one time there was a 10mm TA(thru bolt) for the rear that fit standard frames. KORE and DT Swiss were two companies that ran this option, really stiffened the rear end up before frame manufacturers starting building the 12mm TA frames for the AM/Trail bikes.
    I did that conversion on a Hope Pro 2 rear hub. Sold that bike a couple weeks ago to fund the Satori I just built.
    No moss...

Fat-tired Roadie

Re: Wheelset advise-sun ringle-AM classic

Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan View Post
    Interesting. I knew about some of the bolt-on options but not that there had been an actual through-axle.

OP, I have a Reba RL. I'm pretty happy with it so far, but I bought the bike it's on this summer, and only have a few hundred miles on it. The threshold option sounds cool, especially if you're competing or like to get out of the saddle to climb. I had a similar damper, I think, on my old Manitou R7 - a little finicky to dial in, but awesome until I killed it.

You can't really talk about XC and trail riding forks without talking about the Fox Float. I didn't really consider it because I just bought the most expensive complete FS XC 29er from the brand my team gets a deal on and that had a price tag I could stomach. Very easy way to shop.

Anyway, sounds like you're settled on a 15 mm through-axle and also like the hub conversion is easy and the wheels come with parts. So kind of a non-issue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I had a rear wheel built last year by a builder in the LA area that does internet orders, wheelbuilder.com, and if I recall they had wider rim options like velocity and offered King, DT, and White Industry hub builds. Really pleased with their work.

there is a 29er focused wheelbuilder on this forum frequently, you can't miss his posts on the Lenz bikes, he's probably worth checking out, too.

This is just my preference, but I'd rather go all out for a rear whell hub and save on the front wheel if money is an issue. Go custom with a rear wheel/hub build and save for the front for the next year or two.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the good input guys, anyone else have opinions on the sun ringle charger pro sl 29 for a light clyde. they seem nice especially for the price i found them for but i herd of a few issues with spokes and such....

Fat-tired Roadie
    They're system wheels with straight-pull spokes... this is part of why people are saying "go custom."