mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Wheels + Tires under $900

Well the time has come any my rear hub is crapping out on my stock 2011 Cobia...With this new "problem" I would like to get a new set of tubeless wheels with tires. I am hoping to get a reliable set of hubs(looked at Chris King..but there are a few negative reviews??). With that said I am 5'11" 180lbs and ride single track about 100 miles per week. My budget is set below $900 but that is the max. If there are decent sets for half the price then might as well get one of those.

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Kings are good you just have to take more time to maintain them than most other hubs.

You could have a Hadley or Hope hub laced to your current rim. I would guess it would be under $300-$400.

A full wheelset with Hadley hubs and Stan's Crest or Flow rims should be under $800. Substitute your rim of choice here. i23s are supposed to great as well and could be better if you plan to run UST tires. Same wheelset with Hope Pro 2s should be about $600.

Anyway, Hadley gets my vote at your budget because you shouldn't ever have to worry about them. That said, I like "bang for your buck" products and would probably go with the Hopes.

mtbr member
    Check out Dave at Speeddream Wheels on the web. Custom build and durable.
    Will trade for some chicken.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I negotiated i9 with Arch EX for $750. Deals are out there.
    Tallboy LT

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I got the Stan's arch ex wheels with Stan's hubs for ~480 shipped with a bottle of sealant. Got a set of Maxxis Ignitor tires from a friend for cheap, but they can be had online for cheap too so for under 600, you're tubeless and beefcake! It can handle my 205lb self, even when I was at 220. But I don't jump off anything more than a foot or so.

mtbr member
    Stan's Flows with CK hubs for around $700 plus shipping at Ghisallo Wheels - Custom Wheels. Send Larry an email and see what the total cost would be including shipping.

I shopped around for months, and nobody offered better price than him.

As for tires, I'm running Panaracer Rampage 2.35", around $45 per tire from JensonUSA.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.