Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012

Wheel Set Question - Bontrager X-Lite

Sup all,

I recently came across a deal for a wheel set, I've been toying with going tubeless for next season, and I want to change the stock tires I got on my stumpy. So I was thinking if I want to do those two why not try to find a solid pair of rims at the same time. I've been just casually looking on forums, kijiji, and ebay etc...

I came across this wheel set with tires already mounted tubeless.
    "Bontrager Race X Lite 29'er wheelset
    Dt Swiss spokes and 240 hubs
    Continental Race King 2.2 tires mounted, and tubeless
    Awesome wheelset, was my race wheelset but new bike has thru axles,
    hubs are rebuilt, rims are aluminum, tires still have plenty tread,"

I'm in Canada, so the price he wants is $200 for the entire package.

Another set I was looking at was this one:
    "Stans Wheelset laced up with DT Swiss Revolution spokes On Xt QR front hub and XTR rear hub QR. Wheels are in great shape no dents and wheels are true."

This guy wants $550, no tires.

I've been reading online reviews, I believe the Stans to be the better wheel, but package A) seems like it includes alot of value.

Also I ride a 2012 Stumpjumper Comp Hardtail - wheels/tires are factory/stock.

mtbr member
    How big a boy are you, and what type of trails do you ride?,

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    6'8" - weight is about 180 (long and lean)
    I ride XC - single track

davidcarson48
    The Bontys are narrow but that's a great price. The Stan's seem overpriced for those hubs.

mtbr member
    Aren't RXL wheels scandium? I'm a good bit heavier than you and i have cracked RXL wheels. That being said, at your weight the Bonty wheels are a good fit and a decent deal.

@trailgrinder
    My 2012 RXL rims are scandium, I am 210 lbs and they have stayed true and have had no problems. I do have the through axle on mine also.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    That's a good deal on the bonty wheels. If you don't buy them, send that seller over to me, haha. Been looking for a cheap backup set. I think they would be perfect especially since your new to tubeless. Gives you an opportunity to ride them until they either break, or you save up enough for a top shelf wheel build.

Regarding the Stan's...which rim model are they? Crest/arch/flow/etc? Either way it seems like he's asking retail price. You can grab a set of new Stan's with the 3.30 hubs for 450 new...and you can choose the rim model you want. I think I paid 450 out the door for my arch ex/3.30 hubs from a local dealer.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    That's a good deal on the bonty wheels. If you don't buy them, send that seller over to me, haha. Been looking for a cheap backup set. I think they would be perfect especially since your new to tubeless. Gives you an opportunity to ride them until they either break, or you save up enough for a top shelf wheel build.

Regarding the Stan's...which rim model are they? Crest/arch/flow/etc? Either way it seems like he's asking retail price. You can grab a set of new Stan's with the 3.30 hubs for 450 new...and you can choose the rim model you want. I think I paid 450 out the door for my arch ex/3.30 hubs from a local dealer.
    So really the Bontrager isn't anything special in terms of the wheel being lightweight or as a top shelf wheel? I've been reading reviews on the tires and there not the best so even tho the price is right it seems it fits the bill for the parts. I'm not looking to spend money on something to use to break, Id rather invest in something good now and save the hassle of buying better later?

The stans are a ZTR crest

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGK View Post
    So really the Bontrager isn't anything special in terms of the wheel being lightweight or as a top shelf wheel? I've been reading reviews on the tires and there not the best so even tho the price is right it seems it fits the bill for the parts. I'm not looking to spend money on something to use to break, Id rather invest in something good now and save the hassle of buying better later?

From what I understand, the Bontrager wheelsets come stock on trek and gary fisher bikes. Its their "house brand". So, essentially your buying a take off wheelset from a decent bike. The person most likely upgraded the wheels and is selling off the originals. Absolutely nothing wrong with them...but i wouldnt consider then a top shelf wheel. A high end wheelset typically starts at $1000 and up.

What I was saying, is that they would be a wise investment for the time being. It will be an upgrade for you, and not break the bank. It will give you time to figure out exactly what you need and save up some cash. You may decide that you prefer a wider rim...or you may want to give carbon a try. There are a lot of options out there. The only way to know exactly what fits your style, is to try them. You should have no problem getting most, if not all, of your money back if you decide to sell them later on.

Personally, i find that a nice wheel set is worth every penny. Saving rotational mass far exceeds shaving weight on non-moving parts. Aside from fitment parts (stem, saddle, post, bars, etc) , wheels are always one of the first upgrades I do. You should definitely notice an instant improvement when using a nice wheelset. For me, its a night and day difference when comparing stock vs something like crossmax slr (or simliar).

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Great reply drz400sm. I completely understand. Thanks !! I've just been reading reviews online about my stumpy's stock wheels and thats a huge sore spot for a few people, so maybe for $200 that can hold me down till I can spend good coin on a real set

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Great reply drz400sm. I completely understand. Thanks !! I've just been reading reviews online about my stumpy's stock wheels and thats a huge sore spot for a few people, so maybe for $200 that can hold me down till I can spend good coin on a real set
    Exactly! haha. Unless your dropping 6-10k on a build, wheels are usually the "sore spot" on most bikes. They will do the trick to get you on the trails but every rider has different opinions on wheels and would be hard to please everyone. Some companies dont even offer a better wheelset on the higher models anymore. I remember years ago if you bought something like a trance X or anthem X from giant...the X1 or X0 model would have a nice aftermarket wheelset like the crossmax...now they converted to their house brand. It makes sense, because for the avid cyclist, wheels will be one of the first things to go. By doing this, it keeps the sticker price down so you have money left over for the wheel upgrade.

I say pull the trigger! $200 for wheels and tires is a good price. I sold my giant take off wheels for that price without tires a few months ago. And they were some of the heaviest wheels ive ever ridden. No joke, when i switched to the ArchEX and lighter tires...i saved over 2 lbs. Best money i ever spent on that bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Am I reading correctly that the Bonty have Dt 240 hubs? If that's the case that's supposed to be a really good lightweight hub.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    2013 model year rxl are going back to dt-240 hubs.
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

I would take the bontys over the Notubes any day.

But they are narrow rims (so are the Notubes) and 28 spoke. Not the best choice for a heavy rider. The Race rim is also a b!tch to mount tires on with the TLR rim strips installed. Once on, TLR, tubeless tires work great.

I am also leery of buying used wheels, though $200 could be worth it just for the hubs--if you want 28 hole hubs.

I would spend the money and get a custom speced wheelset.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common