mtbr member
    Jun 2011

wheel and rim info

I just upgraded my fork on my SS, went with a susp. for a few reasons, and now am looking to get a different wheelset.

Googled some word combos that just aren't getting me to where I can get info on rim dimensions and weights as well as info for decision making.

I can see the numbers and pics at Stans and Mavic, need to know how to apply that to my riding and budget.

What do you suggest?

mtbr member
    So what is your budget?

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    You've gotta provide us with a little more info. Your riding style and budget will be a big factor. All of the Stan's (aside from the race version) are priced for the budget minded. Crest would be the lightest, arch is a good compromise in between, and flow is heavier and stronger...all can be had for about $450 new. Im 6'1 200lbs and the arch ex work well for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am 5' 11" and from 205 to 220lbs. depending on who's cooking or buying. Ride 40 miles of gravel road a week with lots of washboard, going to bump that up next spring to 60 or 80.

Easy midwest trails for the most part on weekends with moderate to bad roots and some nice techy/hilly trails within an hour.

I put 500 bucks into the fork and don't want to go over that on the wheels. I run tubeless Spec. tires, fastrak and renegade f/r so don't need a wide rim now, but may go up to 2.2 or 2.3 if I get sent back out of town to a more rocky area.

I think in Stan's I would opt for Flows. Is the Mavic 719 a sturdy wheel? Looks like I could get them for under 300 with XT hubs.

Going to go through my lbs, they don't jack up the price much and have done a ton for me so I like to support them. Just want to know what to tell them I want, so looking to inform myself a little.