mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Wheel Recommendation for Cannondale Carbon 29er

I'm 185 lbs. and looking for a good set of wheels to put on my carbon cannondale 29er. Should I go carbon on the wheels? Should I go Stan's no tubes? I like the idea of running the Race Golds, but the weight limit on those per the website is 170 lbs.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

mtbr member
    Might check out the American Classic MTB Race 29 wheelset...very light with a wider tubeless rim, no proprietary spokes, and AFAIK no weight limit.

MTB RACE 29
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Rolf Prima - Products - Ralos-CXC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wheel Recommendation for Cannondale Carbon 29er-ralos_cxc.jpg  

turtles make me hot
    Crests.
    I like turtles

I'm with stupid
    I say if you are going to have a carbon frame you HAVE to HAVE carbon wheels. Its like owning a V6 mustang or camaro, The look at me factor without having to pony up for the real "performance" parts. Go big or go home. With that said the carbon havens are pretty dope with there warranty its hard to beat.

banned
    You want the best - here you go. No doubt about it, the best Lefty wheelsets made.

PROJECT 321 | Products: PROJECT 321/ENVE Wheelsets (front & rear)

mtbr member
    ^^^That is a sick wheelset.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I say if you are going to have a carbon frame you HAVE to HAVE carbon wheels. Its like owning a V6 mustang or camaro, The look at me factor without having to pony up for the real "performance" parts. Go big or go home. With that said the carbon havens are pretty dope with there warranty its hard to beat.
    The bike comes with Reynolds Carbon wheels...but I don't know if that is what I want to stick with. I'm not going to shell out the money for Enve wheels...but had tossed around using Stan's wheels instead.

Is that a dumb idea? Which wheel is going to be stiffer...Reynolds carbon or Stan's Crest?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dardeca View Post
    The bike comes with Reynolds Carbon wheels...but I don't know if that is what I want to stick with. I'm not going to shell out the money for Enve wheels...but had tossed around using Stan's wheels instead.

Is that a dumb idea? Which wheel is going to be stiffer...Reynolds carbon or Stan's Crest?
    Sorry to sound like a dick, but is this a serious question? The Crest are light and about as flexy as any rim possible. I have the 2013 Flash carbon 1 with the Reynolds. The Reynolds are super stiff and have been an outstanding wheel so far - love them. I also have 2 other bikes with carbon wheels and the Reynolds by far are stiffer then those.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So you are looking to upgrade from what comes stock?? I would ride the Reynolds, crests are crap as far as I am concerned. They are good if you are really light but if over 150lbs not worth it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    Sorry to sound like a dick, but is this a serious question? The Crest are light and about as flexy as any rim possible. I have the 2013 Flash carbon 1 with the Reynolds. The Reynolds are super stiff and have been an outstanding wheel so far - love them. I also have 2 other bikes with carbon wheels and the Reynolds by far are stiffer then those.
    No, that was a serious question. I've been out of the Mtb world for a while and don't have alot of knowledge on the subject to go off of. I have ordered a F29 Carbon 1...so my question was intended to be genuine. That being said, your response is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I didn't know if the Reynolds wheels would be any good or not. I've noticed that most of the C'dale Factory Racers are running Stan's, so I didn't know if they were somehow better.

Thanks for the response.....really!

mtbr member
    I also have 2 other bikes with carbon wheels and the Reynolds by far are stiffer then those.
    Spinning lizard, I am thinking about some enve's in the future. The other two, are they Enves by any chance? The only thing is that I'm not big on the fact that you have to pull the tire and rim tape to do any tension or turing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crclawn View Post
    Spinning lizard, I am thinking about some enve's in the future. The other two, are they Enves by any chance? The only thing is that I'm not big on the fact that you have to pull the tire and rim tape to do any tension or turing.
    With quality rims and a good build you shouldn't have to be doing that very often. I wouldn't let it bother you. I have been beating on the chinese carbon rims for 8 months or so now and haven't had to touch them yet, and I am sure that ENVEs will probably hold up even better (at least they should). Stan's on the other hand only lasted about 6 months before they were unrideable due to not holding tension and dented up sidewalls. These were crests which I feel they are just pushing the envelope a little too much for an aluminum rim, Archs may be better.

mtbr member
    Thanks AKamp. I run Flows and only need minor tweeking every now and then. Thinking about a set of the chinese carbon soon and enve's next year.

banned
    They are Roval Carbon SL's. ENVE are great rims and would not worry about having to true them, would have them myself except I cannot get over the weight of the wheels compared to other offerings.Have sevral riders around here with them and none have had to true one of those rims that I know of.

My Rovals weigh in at 1415g per set and they are for racing and have a lifetime warranty.

The C-Dale just came stock with the Reynolds and I cannot be more satisfied with them so far.

mtbr member
    definitely keep the Reynold's. Tubeless ready, reasonably light, stiff. No need to change.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks AKamp. I run Flows and only need minor tweeking every now and then. Thinking about a set of the chinese carbon soon and enve's next year.

I think that if you get the chinese carbons you won't find a reason to get the enve's. My only concern with the chinese carbons is the lack of eyelets and even though I have not had a problem I think I would use some nipple washers if I built another set (more like when). You can get them at Velofuse and they are dirt cheap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    That warranty (insurance, really) is the best there is. However, I'm still reading about the hubs having issues. Sure, the warranty covers it, but if it happens 20 miles from nowhere, what good is that warranty. And you have to use their hubs, since it's a proprietary system. Because of that, I decided against the Havens.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    You want the best - here you go. No doubt about it, the best Lefty wheelsets made.

PROJECT 321 | Products: PROJECT 321/ENVE Wheelsets (front & rear)
    ^^^This. Ordered mine last spring and have ridden them all summer. Jake is amazing; some of the best customer service I've ever encountered, both before and after the sale.

While you do have to pull the tape to get to the spoke adjustments, I've also not heard of anyone having to true these wheels. Mine are still true after this season and I'm not the most graceful of riders... nor the lightest. I'd call this a non-issue.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    "The Crest are light and about as flexy as any rim possible."
    Really? I'm > 185 lbs, and my Crest wheelset on my 29er is pretty stiff. Depends on who builds it. Got my bike down to 17.3 lbs.

I had crappy, very flexy Crest wheelset on another bike, and had it rebuilt by another shop. Now it rides great (very stiff wheelset).
    Carbon wheelsets are great, but it will cost you three times more. So, depends on your budget.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wheel Recommendation for Cannondale Carbon 29er-550094_376978849067708_573226163_n.jpg  

Wheel Recommendation for Cannondale Carbon 29er-65263_376977949067798_220449528_n.jpg