Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Wheel options... Advise needed

938 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  syl3 
#1 ·
I'm in debate between three wheels. The mavic crossmax, crossride, and stans ztr. What way does the majority swing here? I am really thinking of giving the crossrides a shot since they look to be a nice wheel and are the lowest price. How good are the mavic wheels compared to the stans? Help please!!!

#2 ·
FWIW I think both mavic and stan make good wheels. I purchased Stan's just because it seems to be the most popular wheel for its price range. I wouldn't know which one is "better" but I figured that Stan's were popular for a reason........... and I found a local used set and a good value.

ps for a better response you should really list your reasons for getting the new wheels (ie save weight?) and what type of riding you do. It will help more experienced and knowledgeable people provide you with a better response more suited to your needs

#4 ·
Ok, thank you for the replies. I am obviously pretty rough on my wheels. I am always knocking them out if true and am on my 4th broken spoke on the rear wheel. I like the idea of the straight pull spoke designs since mine are always breaking at the "J" in the spoke. I too have read a couple of negatives about the engagement of the mavic hubs. Not sure which way to go. I really like the price point of the crossrides $300, but not sure how long it would be before I am out riding this entry wheelset.

#6 ·
While I am certain your intent is good and you legitimately are trying to help, the rim/spoke info you've given is completely flawed, especially for the OP's needs.

Your suggestion for the DT350 hub is a good one though.

#7 ·
I've never broken a j-bend spoke and I've weighed over 200lbs most of my mountain biking years. The key is a properly built wheel using the correct spokes. This means butted spokes and wheels built to the correct EVEN tension.

That's not to say broken spokes don't happen from trail obsticles like sticks. But when I have broken a j-bend spoke a replacement is easily found at any LBS. Break a straitpull spoke and you may be waiting for a special order to arrive, which means you'll be sitting and not riding.

And it is true, the hubs on the Crossrides are total shite, I owned two pair in the past (Crossroc, same hubs with j-bend spokes) and both had issues.

So that would make the Stans ZTR wheels tops of what you listed. But I'd also check out the American Classic Terrain wheelset as a 32h j-bend spoked option around $400.

#8 ·
No matter how strong, I just don't feel very confident on rims with less than 32 spokes - Mavic with 20 spokes... I wouldn't go near it unless I'm under 150 lb.

I have Stans Flows with CK hubs, 36 spokes. 220 lb on rigid with plenty of air time, and no problem so far (I've had them only for 1 summer so far).

If you are looking for custom wheels (rims, spokes, nipples, and hubs of your choice), I found Larry from Ghisallo Wheels - Custom Wheels has one of the best prices. I got mine for less than $700 (I think it was $680) plus shipping.

#9 ·
Thank you all for your thought and input into my quest! I have been researching quite a bit and found a couple of builders on eBay that are building the arch ex rims with SRAM X7, X9, Shimano XT hubs for under $400. That seems like a pretty safe bet and I could add hubs later. I am also going to get a couple of local wheel builders to give me a price on lacing up my current hubs. They work fine for me, they just don't "bling"!!! What do you think of these options?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.