Wheel Comparison

Figured I'd post this here as these are 29er wheels

Just trying to compare these 2 sets of wheels

1st: Bontrager Mustang Pro rims with Mustang pro hubs

2nd: DT SWISS 533 rims with Shimano Deore hubs

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You need to give more information if you want good advice. Are you looking at what you have? If so what do you have.

Both of these are low end and honestly most likely not much of an upgrade from stock.

So if that's why you're asking I'd save up a little longer.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

wanna ride bikes?
    First: Multiple threads with the same question is not cool.

http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...n-1055688.html

Second: Intended use? Location? Bike? Rider weight? Personal preference/priorities? Weight vs durability? Price?

If you ask a question with little or no detail/information, you can expect brief/inaccurate answers. Fill in the blanks.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The Bontrager wheels I already have (they were originally stock on a Trek Superfly 9 that I owned) , they are now on my 2015 Niner Jet 9 carbon, the DT Swiss/Deore wheels are for sale from a friend new for $100

Use - All around, I do everything on this bike, I am in Michigan so it's mostly flat land. I weigh 170lbs

Was just wondering if it were worth it to get the DT Swiss wheels or keep the Bontrager setup. My Buddy swears they are better but he's not an expert.

I do apologize for the multiple threads in different sections. I will remove the other now and refer to this one exclusively.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I'd also be interested in a good set of wheels for $500 or less, was hoping that one of these two were good enough but sounds like not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ator View Post
    I'd also be interested in a good set of wheels for $500 or less, was hoping that one of these two were good enough but sounds like not.
    In your price range you can pick up a set of Hope wheels from Chain Reaction for $415 for the XC rims and $445 for the Enduro rims, both with Pro4 hubs. Free shipping and no sales tax. Best wheelset for the money hands down. The hubs alone usually cost $300

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Last edited by ator; 09-13-2017 at 12:03 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    I got an outstanding set of wheels from Mike at Lace Mine 29 - Big Bicycle Wheels. There's an online form that addresses most, if not all, of the concerns OneSpeed correctly raised, so you're getting wheels built for what you need them for. Price was not that much more than what you're thinking of spending, and the whole experience couldn't have been better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    While those wheels are priced much cheaper than the bare DT240 hubs usually sell for so from a price perspective it looks a killer deal, but doing a google search on Race Face/Easton Arc 24 rims will reveal some less then stellar reviews. Not horrible, but they seem to dent and wobble easier than some.
    Plus your linked retailer doesn't specify what spoke count these wheels are but the picture shows 28 spokes which have even worse reviews than the 32's. They're on clearance for a reason. I'd keep looking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
    In your price range you can pick up a set of Hope wheels from Chain Reaction for $415 for the XC rims and $445 for the Enduro rims, both with Pro4 hubs. Free shipping and no sales tax. Best wheelset for the money hands down. The hubs alone usually cost $300
    I did check those out but they seem to be outta stock

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I did check those out but they seem to be outta stock
    As you are living mostly on flat land, with about 500$, maybe you can consider to go for a set of carbon wheels with middle-class hubs (ex.Novatec D771/772 or D881/882 thru-axle). Not a bad option for you if you won't ride too agressively.

Magically Delicious
    ^^^^ Talking shit.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X