Thread: Wheel choices?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Wheel choices?

So...this may have been discussed elsewhere on this site, but am looking to replace a bent Stan's Arch rim.

Options: Use current DT 240 hub to rebuild with Stan's Arch or Crest wheel. Or get prebuilt WTB I23 wheel with XT hubs. Or buy prebuilt Bontrager Rhythm elite (the most expensive option of the 3)

Mostly a cross country rider from the east, typically around 180 pounds, with a focus on endurance racing. Riding a Superfly 100 carbon

Any thoughts on these choices? And what spokes--DT or wheelsmith--if rebuild wheel?

Thanks.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I used tha 340 hub and ArchEX rims with Supercomp spokes. The new rim is stronger and will take 125 kgf spoke tension vs 100(used to be 90) for the Arch. I've been beating on them nearly every day without rim damage.

mtbr member
    Keep the DT240, way better hub than the XT. Go with the Arch EX with DT Comp, Wheelsmith DB14 (lightest of the three), or Sapim Race spokes.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for your suggestion. This is a rear wheel...would that influence what spokes the DT or the Wheelsmith for this build. Thanks agai.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Dt SuperComp with alloy nipples for me with Racing Ralph performance at 25psi. Same weight --technical trails. The SuperComps were developed for wheels with disc brakes. Tension the DS to 120-125. The wheel is stiff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mac63 View Post
    Thanks for your suggestion. This is a rear wheel...would that influence what spokes the DT or the Wheelsmith for this build. Thanks agai.
    No, I have use both DT Comps and Wheelsmith DB14 spokes on rear wheels and they are equally strong and stiff. The Wheelsmith spokes are a hair lighter due to them being 1.7 at the butts instead of 1.8 for the DT Comps. I actually prefer the Wheelsmith, although lately I've been using Sapim Race 2.0/1.8 spokes since I can get them significantly cheaper than the DT and Wheelsmith spokes.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog