Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

What's a great all mountain wheel build?

I'm replacing current wheels with a custom build. I'm not concerned with weight- want bullet proof all mountain with awesome hubs- thinking Chis King. What else should I be considering? Budget between 1-2k.

mtbr member
    weight, terrain, riding style, bike setup?

I'm Slow
    Stans Flow EX for the rims. CK or i9 for the hubs. and DT for the spokes.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm 195- aggressive, usually ride uphill 1,500 vert then bomb down. Mainly single track. Bike is Yet SB95 with 34 talas.

Its got what plants crave
    Mavic 819 with Hope Pro II hubs.

Edit: Doh, forgot I was in the 29er forum. Maybe Flow/Pro II then.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I recently purchased a flow EX with a rear Hpoe EVO hub (silver) 14ga silver spokes with blue nipples.

Colorado Cyclist did the build.

I'm 6'4" pushing 220lbs.
    Last edited by Joe-n-TX; 08-24-2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Forgot my weight

mtbr member
    Hubs. King, Hadley, I9, White industries, Hope (can have soft freebody, Al). Nothing wrong with Shimano XT.

Rims lots of choice. Talk to your wheel builder. No Tubes (Stans) rims seem popular
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    rim: Pacenti DL31
    hub: Chris King ISO
    spoke: Sapim D-Light or DT Swiss Competition

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Nowadays you have to choose your tire first and then pick your rims.

UST: WTB Frequency i23
    Non-UST/ghetto tubeless: Flow EX

turtles make me hot
    Hadleys and Flow EX... That's bombproof at my weight (255). With you, it'll be nuke proof.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have a set of Stans Flow with Hope Evo2's front and back laced with DT Double butt spokes. Work great for me. I'm 6'00 and 220 geared up ride single track stuff in michigan

J-

Happy Trails
    Apr 2010

Specialized Carbon Rovals

Have you considered the Rovals from Specialized Carbon Wheels. Haven't ridden them myself but heard they're a game changer, super stiff. cost some $$$$ but lifetime guarantee I believe.
    I am ridding flows with ZTR Hubs for around 2 years now and they have held up well. I hope they last until I can get the cash saved to get the above. 6' 195 before gear. Was heaver before and the flows havetaken abeating and keep rolling

Singletrack, Microbrews and Pigskins...Almost Heaven

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm very happy with my Stans/i9 combo.

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    Chris King w/fun bolt option, DT Swiss Alpine 3 spokes, DT Swiss pro-loc 2.0 nipples, Stans Flow EX rim all wrapped with a tubeless Hans Damph!

This is a rear wheel I'm having built, 235lb aggressive Clydesdale, that has broken the rest and now needs the best!

BTW my wheelsmith said the fit and finish of the new Flow EX is top notch stuff. So just a quick shout out to Stan's for making an already great product even better! When this wheel is finnaly mounted to my AM steed I will definately put it to the test!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Lots to think about.

[QUOTE: Mavic 819 with Hope Pro II hubs.]

Avoid the Mavic 819, Great rim but to narrow for best performance. Mavic sells wider rims. The "19" of 819 means 19 mm of width inside the rim. Get a minimum 21mm. With all mountain a wider rim gives you a rounder tire on 2.2 in and wider tires.

The Hadley rear hub gives you a maximum of performance, durability and versatility. You can adapt it to any rear wheel dropout configuration that you are likely to use. It is easy to maintain (with the proper tools) and it has proved to be very durable.

I like 32 spoke 3 cross DT double butted with brass nipples. They last a long time with minimal maintenance.

They are a little less expensive than Chris King and if you are sensitive to noise, they can be lubed to very quiet. The engagment is very quick!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for all the input! This helps a lot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    After many hours of research I concluded Chris King/Flow EX it a pretty sweet combo. I only have a few rides in, but 6'2" 270lbs giving it hell on some singletrack.

Ninja Master Powers
    Enve AM's on DT240's

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Really cannot go wrong with Flow/FlowEx on Hope Pro II or King. I am 6'6" and weight 225 and have weighed as much as 255 and have had every rim out there go out of true until I went to Flows. They are cheap enough that I don't go around anything thinking about my rim and strong enough that I haven't even put one out of true in the last 4 bikes

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    If you don't care about weight, then I wouldn't be asking for AM wheels. Any wheel considered AM is not about to be bombproof if you ride some of the aggressive AM that's out there. It might hold up for a while, but if I couldn't bust it riding AM then I know some guys who would.

mtbr member
    My recommendation is Hope Pro 2 EVOs laced to either WTB Frequency i23s or Stans Flows/Flow EXs. Spokes, whatever floats your boat - they are all pretty good, be they DT, Wheelsmith, Sapim.

mtbr member
    I dig my flows with kings ...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Is there a place to see complete wheel builds? I'm about to pull the trigger on a nice set: Flow Ex w Kings. Just need ideas on color combos and such. I have a dark blue TallboyC and am torn between white rims w dark hubs or black rims and light hubs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    Hubs. ... Nothing wrong with Shimano XT.
    Well, except for the freehub blowing up. I just went through my third one.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    No reason to do a custom wheel build with Shimano parts imo...

I second the flow rims and Im loving my I9 hubs. Im not having any delusions about being easy on hubs, I put a LOT of torque down on my rear and so far the I9 hasn't had so much as chirp...
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast