mtbr member
    Jun 2012

What's a good tubeless wheelset weight (complete setup)?

Just built up my 2011 Air 9 Scandium frame (great deal at Jenson) and it weighs in at 25.5 lbs setup as a 1x10. I was curious, so pulled the wheels off and was shocked to see the weight of both wheels, ready to ride, was almost 11 lbs..

The wheelset is from my 2012 X-Cal, converted to tubeless via Bontrager rimstrips and valves.

Shimano M525 Hubs, 32 spokes
    Mustang 29 Disc (Race Lite, 24mm TLR)
    Bonty Rim strips,
    Bonty Valve Stems
    Bonty 29.4 Expert TLR 2.3" Front
    Bonty 29.2 Team TLR 2.1" Rear
    Sram 1050 12/36 cassette

I really like the setup, it just weighs a ton at 10.59 lbs. What should I do to cut weight? Change out the hubs?

What are some average weights including skewers for people running tubeless out there?
    Last edited by wrich73; 10-13-2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: clarification, already running tubeless

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    You will definitely see some good weight loss just by converting your currents wheels to tubeless. You'll either run something similar to the Stan's rim tape/valve combo...or if your wheelset is already tubeless ready, all you'll need is the proper valves and sealant.

25 lbs is pretty light already so you should see a noticeable different by ditching the tubes. Another way to shed a few more grams is to use a more race oriented/light weight tire setup. I've learned that light tires are more prone to sidewall tears, so it's really up you to if it's worth sacrificing durability for a little weight savings.

The wheelset you have is on the heavier side as well, but I have heard they are a strong wheel. If you have the money, you'll probably appreciate a new wheelset. My local shop has been selling the Stan's crest, arch, and flow wheelsets for $425 a set. You can find the specs on Stan's website. I don't have all my weights in front of me but if no one else chimes in I'll add a few weight comparisons for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    You will definitely see some good weight loss just by converting your currents wheels to tubeless. You'll either run something similar to the Stan's rim tape/valve combo...or if your wheelset is already tubeless ready, all you'll need is the proper valves and sealant.

25 lbs is pretty light already so you should see a noticeable different by ditching the tubes. Another way to shed a few more grams is to use a more race oriented/light weight tire setup. I've learned that light tires are more prone to sidewall tears, so it's really up you to if it's worth sacrificing durability for a little weight savings.

The wheelset you have is on the heavier side as well, but I have heard they are a strong wheel. If you have the money, you'll probably appreciate a new wheelset. My local shop has been selling the Stan's crest, arch, and flow wheelsets for $425 a set. You can find the specs on Stan's website. I don't have all my weights in front of me but if no one else chimes in I'll add a few weight comparisons for you.
    Doh, I am already running tubeless, via the Bontrager rimstrips and Bontrager valves. The tires are fantastic and the wheels have stayed true through some punishing rides and a couple of nasty crashes.
    I guess I just want to see what other peoples tubeless setups are weighing in at in the not-crazy upgrade price range.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wrich73 View Post
    Doh, I am already running tubeless, via the Bontrager rimstrips and Bontrager valves. The tires are fantastic and the wheels have stayed true through some punishing rides and a couple of nasty crashes.
    I guess I just want to see what other peoples tubeless setups are weighing in at in the not-crazy upgrade price range.

Sorry man, you made it sound like you were wondering how much weight you'd save by going tubeless. I think I misinterpreted the thread. Anyways... Here's my rough weights using a shipping scale for the arch ex (2scoops of sealant).... Not including rotors or cassette

Front arch ex w/ nobby nic snake skin 2.35 - 1645 grams
    Rear arch ex w/ racing Ralph Evo 2.25 - 1575 grams

I figure I saved about 2 lbs by switching to the arch ex wheelsets and schwalbe tires. With your rims/hubs you should shave another pound by swapping to a lighter wheelset...less if you went with a stronger more all mtn Width rim. Don't quote me on that...I'm just estimating.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Also I just checked the weights on my stock wheelset with rotors and cassette, ready to ride......just under 11 lbs with tubes! Now I remember why I immediately went out and bought a new wheelset!

The Stan's wheels at $425 a set is well worth it. I don't think I would have replaced them so quick if i had to spend 2-3x that price....but have been very happy with the stans ztr rims and 3.30 hubs. I hear the sun ringle sets are good too....and Stan's are actually just a rebranded sun ringle wheel. just what I've heard.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    Sorry man, you made it sound like you were wondering how much weight you'd save by going tubeless. I think I misinterpreted the thread. Anyways... Here's my rough weights using a shipping scale for the arch ex (2scoops of sealant).... Not including rotors or cassette

Front arch ex w/ nobby nic snake skin 2.35 - 1645 grams
    Rear arch ex w/ racing Ralph Evo 2.25 - 1575 grams

I figure I saved about 2 lbs by switching to the arch ex wheelsets and schwalbe tires. With your rims/hubs you should shave another pound by swapping to a lighter wheelset...less if you went with a stronger more all mtn Width rim. Don't quote me on that...I'm just estimating.
    Hah, yeah, after reading your reply I realized I was a little ambiguous, guess I need to go to bed soon and lay off the wine.

From what it sounds like I am not going to save much weight (maybe 1-1.5 lbs?) I was thinking a mid priced upgrade (400ish range).....my wife would beat my ass if I spent that much to shave off just a little bit of weight

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I guess I need to check out the Stan's ZTR and the 3.3 hubs then...
    So what is the weight with your current setup with rotors and cassette?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm still running the stock rotors and cassette. I know the rotors are some basic shimano 160mm and the cassette is a hg61 I think. The cassette weighs 420 grams and the rotors with bolts came in at 160 grams each.

My calculations show the wheelset ready to ride is just under 9 pounds. I feel it was money well spent. Now I just need to get rid of my marzocchi fork which supposedly weighs over 5 lbs!

My wife would have flipped out if she knew how much I've been spending, but I try to keep these things between me and my bike now I'm gonna sneak on a fox fork which will cost me another $400 without her finding out. Haha.