Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

What's the best Seatpost Dropepr?

Looking to purchase one. I've been seeing mixed reviews for a lot of seatposts... so I'm concerned on spending money and getting a lemon. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I for one am totally excited about the new crop of short travel, light weight dropper posts soon to be released. If you want one now the LEV or the reverb seem to be the best.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The reverb is good? I was hearing a few bad things about it. The remote is easy to break and the clamp for the seat is weak?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    One other thing... I'm 5'7 so whats best to get? A seatpost with 100mm or 120mm? Also, which is best for a small giant xtc 29er... 350mm or 420mm for the seatpost

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Reverb remote is incredibly easy to break. Mine is currently snapped and requiring a bleed after less than a month of use.... I just ordered a thomson.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    What size would you get? My frame is a small so should I get a 350mm or a 420mm for a seatpost?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I was looking at a FOX DOSS SEATPOST... looks interesting... Any good?

rider
    Jan 2005
    If you want reliability, get a Gravity Dropper.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    What's the difference?

Riding rigid
    Mar 2007
    What size to get depends on your frame (bend in seat tube, interrupted seat tube, water bottle bolts) and how far down you need to insert the seatpost when at full extension.

Gravity dropper is all mechanical, steel spring for the return, a pin system to lock the post in place at 2 or 3 set heights. Completely rebuildable at home. Cheaper than the FOX.

I have a Specialized Command Post. 3 position setting. Pretty simple design.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I had the 150mm LEV, and now have a 125mm Reverb Stealth. Both very good posts, very reliable, but the LEV is better. Action on both is about the same, they both go down when you want them to with little force, and both come back up right where you want them quickly and reliably and are rock solid when stopped. Where the LEV is way better is with the remote. The remote design on the LEV is worlds better in every way: it is smaller, more out of the way, less fidgety, requires no bleeding, and requires less force to activate. With the reverb, you have to come straight at it to activate it (not from the side at all), where the LEV is more forgiving. Both are very good posts and I am happy with the Reverb, but the remote is less than optimal. As to issues with the Reverb, the majority of issues were with the previous generation and the current ones are normally problem free.

As far as sizing, you will have to look at hom much seat post you have inserted and exposed now and do the math to find the right size. All the data is on the manufacturers website or here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    This is my bike: XTC Composite 29er 3 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Canada

There is no bolts for a second bottle holder on the seatpost tube. I just been seeing 350mm or 420mm I take it as that's the seatpost where you insert it into the frame? Isn't it the longer the better so it's more stable? Or am I wrong?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    This is the reverb I'm looking at: Reverb Seatpost. I need a 30.9, but it seems there's different sizes like I mentioned. What should I do?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    I went with the Spec Command Post for my Stumpy FSR.

I really like the looks of the Fox DOSS, but I decided to try the Spec, and it was on sale for $233.

I hope it holds up....

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Isn't FOSS usually good with their products? I know the reverb seatpost as a weak remote unless that's fixed now?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Gravity Dropper Turbo LP. Most reliable post on the market. All hydraulic posts are flawed. At extension, they are essentially a locked out air spring with no blowoff valve. The force of your weight gets transferred to the seals, which eventually fail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My Reverb has a 1 inch sag that developed after about 6 months. Got the Kindshock Lev and it is much better. Cable connection is fixed and seems to be much more reliable so far. Functionally can't tell the difference. Warranty service is also much better with Kindshock through their website. Can't find how to get my Reverb serviced without going through a LBS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cabralkev View Post
    This is my bike: XTC Composite 29er 3 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Canada

There is no bolts for a second bottle holder on the seatpost tube. I just been seeing 350mm or 420mm I take it as that's the seatpost where you insert it into the frame? Isn't it the longer the better so it's more stable? Or am I wrong?
    I just scooped up a 367mm Thomson 30.9 seat post for my 2012 XTC Composite 1 and it fits great. In fact, it's almost exactly the same length as the factory Giant seat post. Hope that helps!
    Trails - 2012 Giant XTC Composite 1 29er
    Townie - 2001 Schwinn Homegrown Factory Limited

mtbr member
    Please double check this yourself, but I believe this is the stock seat post that came on your bike:

Giant Connect Seatpost (Seatposts) - Bike Gear | Giant Bicycles | United States

That should help you be more confident as to which sizes will fit.
    Trails - 2012 Giant XTC Composite 1 29er
    Townie - 2001 Schwinn Homegrown Factory Limited

Bodhisattva
    I currently have a Thomson dropper. It's new, so I can't provide any long term data. But I'm very impressed with this post in the short term. It has no discernable play like I've felt with other posts like the Gravity Dropper. Seatpost action on the Thomson is incredibly smooth and the lever is ergonomically perfect. I've had nothing but good luck and superb customer service with Thomson for 10 years and am betting that this post will hold up for the long haul. Although I'll expect some maintenance of the hydraulic seals will be necessary at some point. Downside? Expense....

I also have a Command Post on another bike. It's also excellent although I initially had a lot of problems with the seals which, I'm told, are now resolved. It has a 1" drop/full drop mechanism, so this isn't the right post if you want infinite adjustment.

My friend has the Fox. Action seems good, but the lever is an engineering atrocity.

Everyone I know with a Reverb has had nothing but problems.

A buddy has a Lev post. It looks & feels nice and has excellent action but no long term use yet.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I've ridden the more expensive droppers, but I bought the inexpensive ks eten remote and it's awesome. No issues, and I've been riding it all summer. The only minor issue is the remote is plastic, but there haven't been any durability issues, just aesthetic.

I'd say for anyone who's debating whether or not droppers are worth the money, I think it's a great compromise. The only issue is I bought one for my wife, who's around 110-115 lb, and she has to pull down on her handlebars to have enough pressure to drop the seat.

Quick and easy installation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cabralkev View Post
    One other thing... I'm 5'7 so whats best to get? A seatpost with 100mm or 120mm? Also, which is best for a small giant xtc 29er... 350mm or 420mm for the seatpost
    I'm about the same height as you but have a 32" inseam and ride a Medium Stumpy FSR Comp 29er. I'm using the Reverb 100mm seatpost but could probably have gone with the 125mm as there is > 1" of exposed post sticking out of my frame. I'm very happy with the Reverb, no issues thus far (fingers crossed, knock on wood!) but kind of wish I'd gone the 3 position dropper route like the Specialized Command post or Fox D.O.S.S. Infinitely adjustable systems like the Reverb is just another way of saying the post is never EXACTLY where you want it. The action of the Reverb after 6 months is very smooth, goes down when I want it to, comes right back up when I need it to, no hassles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    You really should get a thomson now that they are under 400... if you hurry you can take advantage of the promotion and get a stem of your choice as well.. so you're paying 390 (free shipping too, off amazon) for the dropper and getting an $80-$100 stem once you mail in whatever is required to thomson.... awesome deal

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by shredjekyll View Post
    You really should get a thomson now that they are under 400... if you hurry you can take advantage of the promotion and get a stem of your choice as well.. so you're paying 390 (free shipping too, off amazon) for the dropper and getting an $80-$100 stem once you mail in whatever is required to thomson.... awesome deal
    Can you please post a link to this promo? I can't find it. Thanks.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast