mtbr member
    Apr 2013

What's the best Seatpost Dropepr?

Looking to purchase one. I've been seeing mixed reviews for a lot of seatposts... so I'm concerned on spending money and getting a lemon. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I for one am totally excited about the new crop of short travel, light weight dropper posts soon to be released. If you want one now the LEV or the reverb seem to be the best.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The reverb is good? I was hearing a few bad things about it. The remote is easy to break and the clamp for the seat is weak?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    One other thing... I'm 5'7 so whats best to get? A seatpost with 100mm or 120mm? Also, which is best for a small giant xtc 29er... 350mm or 420mm for the seatpost

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Reverb remote is incredibly easy to break. Mine is currently snapped and requiring a bleed after less than a month of use.... I just ordered a thomson.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    What size would you get? My frame is a small so should I get a 350mm or a 420mm for a seatpost?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I was looking at a FOX DOSS SEATPOST... looks interesting... Any good?

rider
    Jan 2005
    If you want reliability, get a Gravity Dropper.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    What's the difference?

Riding rigid
    Mar 2007
    What size to get depends on your frame (bend in seat tube, interrupted seat tube, water bottle bolts) and how far down you need to insert the seatpost when at full extension.

Gravity dropper is all mechanical, steel spring for the return, a pin system to lock the post in place at 2 or 3 set heights. Completely rebuildable at home. Cheaper than the FOX.

I have a Specialized Command Post. 3 position setting. Pretty simple design.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I had the 150mm LEV, and now have a 125mm Reverb Stealth. Both very good posts, very reliable, but the LEV is better. Action on both is about the same, they both go down when you want them to with little force, and both come back up right where you want them quickly and reliably and are rock solid when stopped. Where the LEV is way better is with the remote. The remote design on the LEV is worlds better in every way: it is smaller, more out of the way, less fidgety, requires no bleeding, and requires less force to activate. With the reverb, you have to come straight at it to activate it (not from the side at all), where the LEV is more forgiving. Both are very good posts and I am happy with the Reverb, but the remote is less than optimal. As to issues with the Reverb, the majority of issues were with the previous generation and the current ones are normally problem free.

As far as sizing, you will have to look at hom much seat post you have inserted and exposed now and do the math to find the right size. All the data is on the manufacturers website or here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    This is my bike: XTC Composite 29er 3 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Canada

There is no bolts for a second bottle holder on the seatpost tube. I just been seeing 350mm or 420mm I take it as that's the seatpost where you insert it into the frame? Isn't it the longer the better so it's more stable? Or am I wrong?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    This is the reverb I'm looking at: Reverb Seatpost. I need a 30.9, but it seems there's different sizes like I mentioned. What should I do?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    I went with the Spec Command Post for my Stumpy FSR.

I really like the looks of the Fox DOSS, but I decided to try the Spec, and it was on sale for $233.

I hope it holds up....

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Isn't FOSS usually good with their products? I know the reverb seatpost as a weak remote unless that's fixed now?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Gravity Dropper Turbo LP. Most reliable post on the market. All hydraulic posts are flawed. At extension, they are essentially a locked out air spring with no blowoff valve. The force of your weight gets transferred to the seals, which eventually fail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My Reverb has a 1 inch sag that developed after about 6 months. Got the Kindshock Lev and it is much better. Cable connection is fixed and seems to be much more reliable so far. Functionally can't tell the difference. Warranty service is also much better with Kindshock through their website. Can't find how to get my Reverb serviced without going through a LBS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cabralkev View Post
    This is my bike: XTC Composite 29er 3 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Canada

There is no bolts for a second bottle holder on the seatpost tube. I just been seeing 350mm or 420mm I take it as that's the seatpost where you insert it into the frame? Isn't it the longer the better so it's more stable? Or am I wrong?
    I just scooped up a 367mm Thomson 30.9 seat post for my 2012 XTC Composite 1 and it fits great. In fact, it's almost exactly the same length as the factory Giant seat post. Hope that helps!
    Trails - 2012 Giant XTC Composite 1 29er
    Townie - 2001 Schwinn Homegrown Factory Limited

mtbr member
    Please double check this yourself, but I believe this is the stock seat post that came on your bike:

Giant Connect Seatpost (Seatposts) - Bike Gear | Giant Bicycles | United States

That should help you be more confident as to which sizes will fit.
    Trails - 2012 Giant XTC Composite 1 29er
    Townie - 2001 Schwinn Homegrown Factory Limited

Bodhisattva
    I currently have a Thomson dropper. It's new, so I can't provide any long term data. But I'm very impressed with this post in the short term. It has no discernable play like I've felt with other posts like the Gravity Dropper. Seatpost action on the Thomson is incredibly smooth and the lever is ergonomically perfect. I've had nothing but good luck and superb customer service with Thomson for 10 years and am betting that this post will hold up for the long haul. Although I'll expect some maintenance of the hydraulic seals will be necessary at some point. Downside? Expense....

I also have a Command Post on another bike. It's also excellent although I initially had a lot of problems with the seals which, I'm told, are now resolved. It has a 1" drop/full drop mechanism, so this isn't the right post if you want infinite adjustment.

My friend has the Fox. Action seems good, but the lever is an engineering atrocity.

Everyone I know with a Reverb has had nothing but problems.

A buddy has a Lev post. It looks & feels nice and has excellent action but no long term use yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I've ridden the more expensive droppers, but I bought the inexpensive ks eten remote and it's awesome. No issues, and I've been riding it all summer. The only minor issue is the remote is plastic, but there haven't been any durability issues, just aesthetic.

I'd say for anyone who's debating whether or not droppers are worth the money, I think it's a great compromise. The only issue is I bought one for my wife, who's around 110-115 lb, and she has to pull down on her handlebars to have enough pressure to drop the seat.

Quick and easy installation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cabralkev View Post
    One other thing... I'm 5'7 so whats best to get? A seatpost with 100mm or 120mm? Also, which is best for a small giant xtc 29er... 350mm or 420mm for the seatpost
    I'm about the same height as you but have a 32" inseam and ride a Medium Stumpy FSR Comp 29er. I'm using the Reverb 100mm seatpost but could probably have gone with the 125mm as there is > 1" of exposed post sticking out of my frame. I'm very happy with the Reverb, no issues thus far (fingers crossed, knock on wood!) but kind of wish I'd gone the 3 position dropper route like the Specialized Command post or Fox D.O.S.S. Infinitely adjustable systems like the Reverb is just another way of saying the post is never EXACTLY where you want it. The action of the Reverb after 6 months is very smooth, goes down when I want it to, comes right back up when I need it to, no hassles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    You really should get a thomson now that they are under 400... if you hurry you can take advantage of the promotion and get a stem of your choice as well.. so you're paying 390 (free shipping too, off amazon) for the dropper and getting an $80-$100 stem once you mail in whatever is required to thomson.... awesome deal

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by shredjekyll View Post
    You really should get a thomson now that they are under 400... if you hurry you can take advantage of the promotion and get a stem of your choice as well.. so you're paying 390 (free shipping too, off amazon) for the dropper and getting an $80-$100 stem once you mail in whatever is required to thomson.... awesome deal
    Can you please post a link to this promo? I can't find it. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I use giant contact switch for about 9 months already, very reliable.

Anyone here experiencing problems with their Rock Shox reverb 2013 version?
    Last edited by rave81; 08-22-2013 at 09:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    So it seems as though Thomson pulled the plug on the promo.... link is NOWHERE to be found and now the promo isn't even mentioned on Jenson. Luckily I called both Jenson and Thomson and a guy at thomson told me to print out our email and send it with my receipt and he will sort it out.

I have a feeling that the fact that the thomson can be now be found for as low as 390 shipped probably made thomson realize that the promotion was gonna hit their pockets..... pretty shady/lame business practice if you ask me.. but Im happy as long as they send me my free X4 Stem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by shredjekyll View Post
    You really should get a thomson now that they are under 400... if you hurry you can take advantage of the promotion and get a stem of your choice as well.. so you're paying 390 (free shipping too, off amazon) for the dropper and getting an $80-$100 stem once you mail in whatever is required to thomson.... awesome dealThe Squeaky Wheel;10623327
    I found a Thomson through amazon for $395, which seems to include shipping. Amazon claims that it is sold by Green Canyon Outfitters. If you get some kind of Amazon card you can get another $50 off, but I haven't found the promo that is described above.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Bike Bling has the kindshocks on sale
    Kind Shock Dropzone (I900) Remote-Adjust Seatpost from BikeBling.com

Havent had any issues with mine had it for about 1 yr now.

Stupid is, as stupid does
    If your looking for the best & Blingy go with the Kind Shock Lev. If you want affordable and reliable go with the Gravity Dropper.
    Yeti SB95C
    Carver Ti 420
    Turner RFX W/Push 11/6- For sale as a frameset. PM me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    An update regarding my contact switch dropper seat post. After riding in extreme weather for 1 day. It suddenly become unreliable when I got wet and contaminated with mud.

I'm upgrading to rock shox reverb 2013. I heard good news with the 2013 version, according to my mates who currently using it, it has no issues and doesn't play up if it get wet or covered with mud.

mtbr member
    I was considering a new Cannondale Scalpel to replace my 2002 Cannondale F800 HT but shelling out $2k on a closeout 13' model vs $400 dropper is quite convincing. For the type of riding I do, I really don't need a FS.

Since my seat post size is 27.2, and the recommendations on this thread, looks like the KS Supernatural 272 is the best option. I'm not too fond of the reservoir hanging off the back. I don't see any other mentioned manufactures offering a 27.2 option.

Any other ideas?
    Tearing it up with...

02' Cannondale F800
    11' Cannondale CAAD10
    05' Haro BMX

Stupid is, as stupid does
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosplya View Post
    I was considering a new Cannondale Scalpel to replace my 2002 Cannondale F800 HT but shelling out $2k on a closeout 13' model vs $400 dropper is quite convincing. For the type of riding I do, I really don't need a FS.

Since my seat post size is 27.2, and the recommendations on this thread, looks like the KS Supernatural 272 is the best option. I'm not too fond of the reservoir hanging off the back. I don't see any other mentioned manufactures offering a 27.2 option.

Any other ideas?
    Gravity dropper
    Yeti SB95C
    Carver Ti 420
    Turner RFX W/Push 11/6- For sale as a frameset. PM me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I end up purchasing the fox doss rather than the reverb. I am very happy with this fox doss. I like its better remote and ctd function. No need to rebleed it.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkmtb View Post
    Gravity dropper
    Agreed, I have an old 1" & 3" down 27.2mm GD.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004

Re: What's the best Seatpost Dropepr?

After a short ride last night up some steep switchbacks, I'm even more sold on my Blacklite. Could have the seat at optimal climbing height and easily drop it a notch for the corners. Before, I was running my seat post 2cm lower than optimal to compensate for my inability in techy terrain which was not helping 90% of the time.

Also, riding in light drizzle with an led head lamp on half power makes the rain drops look cool...

rr
    I don't do PC
    Is there any news on the Thomson in 27.2? I have a GD classic that's 2 years old and needs a rebuild, but after riding the Reverb on my other bike I'm spoiled with the infinite travel and smooth action.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    Is there any news on the Thomson in 27.2? I have a GD classic that's 2 years old and needs a rebuild, but after riding the Reverb on my other bike I'm spoiled with the infinite travel and smooth action.
    If I'm not mistaken, I recall reading on Thomson's FB page that they'll have a 27.2 by XMas.

Granted, mine is still reasonably new, but it's super smooth & solid. I just had a Command Post replaced with a new Blacklite CP by Specialized on warranty. After having a chance to ride both extensively, I much prefer the Thomson.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    If you want reliable, no post can touch the track record of the Gravity Dropper.

Mine is almost 8 years old.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am now kinda wishing I had gone with a GD instead of thomson. My elite dropper is currently at thomson being serviced for a bunch of reasons..
    -cracking/crunching noise occasionally
    -play (most noticeable when fully extended and fully compressed)
    -periodically loose collar (thomson informed me that my post was a member of a bad batch that didnt get loc tite)

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by shredjekyll View Post
    I am now kinda wishing I had gone with a GD instead of thomson. My elite dropper is currently at thomson being serviced for a bunch of reasons..
    -cracking/crunching noise occasionally
    -play (most noticeable when fully extended and fully compressed)
    -periodically loose collar (thomson informed me that my post was a member of a bad batch that didnt get loc tite)
    That's a major bummer. But, as others have said, dropper posts are prone to mechanical issues by nature.
    I have friends with GD who have had similar problems. One friend has sent his GD post back several times and continues to have issues. If you don't like play in your seatpost, then GD is definitely not for you. They have the most play of all the posts, in my experience.
    My Specialized Command Post has required several rebuilds. To their credit, they finally gave me a new one although they didn't refund my $80 rebuild fee. The last time it came back from Speshy service in Utah it was not working properly out of the box (poor quality control).

Hopefully Thomson gets you worked out quickly. As a new product, unfortunately I'd expect a few growing pains but they are a superb company with a long track record

rr
    I don't do PC
    Few things about my GD classic. It worked great till a wet/mucky ride this past summer and it froze up. I was able to disassemble and clean it to get it working right again but it now has play in the full up position that I can feel while riding. Guess it needs a rebuild but I was hoping for better reliability as it has not seen a ton of use in the last 2 years.

Also, the remote clamp is fragile and I've had to replace it a few times, the remote design is kinda lame in general, but it does work.

I agree it's prob the most reliable but my Reverb blows it away performance wise. My first one didn't even work out of the box lol, but RS replaced it right away and the new one has been flawless so far(4-5 months).

Bodhisattva
    Few things about my GD classic. It worked great till a wet/mucky ride this past summer and it froze up. I was able to disassemble and clean it to get it working right again but it now has play in the full up position that I can feel while riding. Guess it needs a rebuild but I was hoping for better reliability as it has not seen a ton of use in the last 2 years.

Also, the remote clamp is fragile and I've had to replace it a few times, the remote design is kinda lame in general, but it does work.

I agree it's prob the most reliable but my Reverb blows it away performance wise, my first one didin't even work out of the box lol, but RS replaced it right away and the new one has been flawless so far(4-5 months).
    Agree on reverb performance, but everyone I know who has one has had major issues sooner than later. From what I've seen, reverb has been the least reliable. Hopefully it's getting better.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    What exactly was the issue that your friend kept sending it back for? If it was the side to side play, they would have just told your friend that that is just part of the design, they are all like that. If you ask me, anyone that says they actaully notice it riding is most likely full of it.

rr
    I don't do PC
    You would think with how reliable susp components are these days that someone would of gotten things dialed by now. The GD is not worth it if it needs a rebuild every year in my book, I would rather try one with better performance, and doesn't have the fugly boot.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    If you ask me, anyone that says they actaully notice it riding is most likely full of it.
    I am full of it for sure , but I def notice the play now. The little bit of play before was not noticable, but now when I lift my butt and sit back down, or shift my weight around, I can feel the saddle move and there's an audible clank sometimes.

Bodhisattva
    What exactly was the issue that your friend kept sending it back for? If it was the side to side play, they would have just told your friend that that is just part of the design, they are all like that. If you ask me, anyone that says they actaully notice it riding is most likely full of it.
    Seems that I touched "the nerve".
    No, he didn't send it back for play, although I personally don't care for that rocking feel (I've owned several over the years, so I must be full of it). His was, and continues to be, repeated mechanical failures. It is a mechanical device, after all.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Where do you get that the GD needs to be rebuilt every year?

rr
    I don't do PC
    Where do you get that the GD needs to be rebuilt every year?
    Well I've owned mine for 2 years but it's really only seen a year of use, it was on a bike that barely got ridden then I moved it over to another bike. I have also read that long time GD users will send it in every year or 2 for a full rebuild and it works like new afterwards. Guess mine needs that now but considering the performance and fugly boot I want to try something diff but not really any interesting options right now.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    What mechanical failure?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Well I've owned mine for 2 years but it's really only seen a year of use, it was on a bike that barely got ridden then I moved it over to another bike. I have also read that long time GD users will send it in every year or 2 for a full rebuild and it works like new afterwards. Guess mine needs that now but considering the performance and fugly boot I want to try something diff but not really any interesting options right now.
    Interesting. I am curious what they are sending it in for, or what would need re-building. There are no seals, nothing to leak. I can see where if you got a lot of muck and grit in it that you might need to clean it out, though. However, in my experience that boot does a pretty good job of preventing this.

I've had mine for nearly 8 years and other than it needing a new inner shaft after the first year (I had the original one before the re-design over 7 years ago) it has never been re-built. I've changed the cable a few times and lube the shaft about every other year.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Interesting. I am curious what they are sending it in for, or what would need re-building. There are no seals, nothing to leak. I can see where if you got a lot of muck and grit in it that you might need to clean it out, though. However, in my experience that boot does a pretty good job of preventing this.

I've had mine for nearly 8 years and other than it needing a new inner shaft after the first year (I had the original one before the re-design over 7 years ago) it has never been re-built. I've changed the cable a few times and lube the shaft about every other year.
    Here's what I was thinking of doing- Rebuild | GravityDropper

Pretty sure it's the shims that need replacing to remove the play but not really sure. BTW, I live in a dry climate(CO front range) and have to lube it regularly to keep it smooth. I read that most folks just lube it a few times a year but that has not been the case with mine, it gets sticky and doesn't hit the 1" drop easily.

rider
    Jan 2005
    I rode my old 27.2mm GD from 2006 until abut an year and a half ago. Once a year I pulled the seat/ upper tube assy and replaced the two plastic shims and cleaned/relubed with Slick Honey. I replaced the cable inner wire annually also. The whole process takes about 30-40 min. The new & larger diameter GD's that I have use three of the inner shims so they take a couple on min. longer to "rebuild".

The the outer cable housing was replaced every 2-3 years.

The most regular attention that it got was to spray the handlebar mounted actuating lever 4-5 times a year with a dry teflon lube to keep it smooth.

They are dead simple and super reliable.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Here's what I was thinking of doing- Rebuild | GravityDropper

Pretty sure it's the shims that need replacing to remove the play but not really sure. BTW, I live in a dry climate(CO front range) and have to lube it regularly to keep it smooth. I read that most folks just lube it a few times a year but that has not been the case with mine, it gets sticky and doesn't hit the 1" drop easily.
    Huh, the rebuild is only $15.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Huh, the rebuild is only $15.
    what's your point?

29erchico- yeah I think I need the new shims. I like to do stuff myself so might just try purchasing the shims instead of sending it in. I agree these posts are more reliable and simple but if there was another good option like the Thomson or Reverb I would be all over it. Not so much cause it needs a rebuild after a year or so, but after riding the Reverb this past season I realized the GD just doesn't perform nearly as well. That combined with the issues I've mentioned above has me looking for something diff.

mtbr member
    I need to know....even though the droppers in general have some setbacks, would any of you opt for the thudbuster now over the dropper? I'm going to purchase some kind of suspension seatpost and need a better consensus of how you guys feel.
    Tearing it up with...

02' Cannondale F800
    11' Cannondale CAAD10
    05' Haro BMX

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I'd go with a ThudBuster on a rigid, but not a suspended MTB.
    But I wouldn't really, as I'd get a dropper post for both.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosplya View Post
    I need to know....even though the droppers in general have some setbacks, would any of you opt for the thudbuster now over the dropper? I'm going to purchase some kind of suspension seatpost and need a better consensus of how you guys feel.
    When you say you are going to purchase a suspension post, doesn't that already eliminate a dropper post? These are two completely different components, meant for two very different applications.

FWIW, I found the suspension post I tried to be of little value overall for mountain biking, As I am already out of the saddle for the rough stuff. OTOH, I have though about putting one on an "adventure" bike that would see long distances on fire/dirt roads. And for that application, a dropper post would be fairly useless.

If you want an idea of the general consensus of these two products, consider that suspension posts have been around several decades (the thudbuster has been around in it's current form since around 2000), yet they have not become widely used on mountain bikes (though they do work well for comfort bikes and adventure bikes like the one I was building). Dropper posts on the other hand quickly became popular once the current crop became available, starting with the Gravity Dropper around 8-9 years ago.

Bodhisattva
    update: My recently replaced on warranty (for the 3rd time) blacklite command post isn't functioning correctly. It gets stuck returning from full down to the mid position, although return from mid to high is normal. This one has only been ridden 4 times. Air pressure and cable tension are good. Sigh.......

JHH
    mtbr member
    I bought a Reverb 4 months ago. It's the longer one. I made a quick decision based on availability after one ride on my TallBoy it was evident that a dropper post was needed. So far I've had no issues with the Reverb with over 450 miles of riding. I rely on the post a lot and as a clydesdale the post gets it workout. The only thing I don't like is how much they weigh.

I've done no maintenance on it to date.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I sent my thomson out for service 2 weeks ago and today I got a package from thomson with a BRAND NEW unopened seatpost with all the accessories so now I have two sets of everything. The new one appears the same but functions twice as good. Absolutely zero play or wiggle at all and one of the holes that the cable routes through is bigger on this post than on my old one. VERY happy with thomson =D

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    I have no idea why anyone buys anything but a Gravity Dropper. Apparently there is an inexhaustible appetite in the MTB world for expensive, gimmicky junk that fails repeatedly and consistently.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    This is just my opinion and I might be wrong but I think Dropper might make for a better case on a hard tail when you are off the saddle and unweighted and/or a lighter rider which makes for less stress on components on the saddle which makes for a more reliable and precise functioning, as the impact forces if you sit down and hit bumps put quite a bit of stress on it.

This might account for why it may work better for some people than others (ie: 140lbs vs 240lbs)

Personally I think when you consider these factors any dropper would be good and not just a gimmick, there's also an inexpensive dropper i've heard that works just as well as the expensive ones, just a weight penalty.