mtbr member
    Jun 2013

What seat clamp do I need to use with carbon seat post?

Hey everyone,

I have just purchased a Giant Contact SLR seat post for my Giant XTC Composite, can I use the existing seat post clamp or will I have to purchase a carbon seat post clamp?

Cheers

mtbr member
    First, you need a clamp that is the correct diameter for the seat tube in your frame. Second, you need to not over tighten the clamp, I've read that about 5 Nm is the correct torque for a carbon seat post, make sure you use a torque wrench.

Lastly, carbon paste is sometimes used if your seat post is torqued correctly but the post is slipping inside your seat tube when riding.

Good luck with your new purchase.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks,

The seat post is the same size as the existing seat post so I assume the clamp I have will work, I will also make sure I only tighten to 5 Nm.

How necessary is the carbon paste? I don't want to scratch the new seat post up if it slips inside the tube, also I don't ever lower or raise the seat post so should I get some carbon paste to be on the safe side?

mtbr member
    Yes, use carbon paste. Dry-on-dry anything is just a plain bad idea.

mtbr member
    Is there such a thing as a carbon seatpost clamp??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Livewire88 View Post
    How necessary is the carbon paste? I don't want to scratch the new seat post up if it slips inside the tube, also I don't ever lower or raise the seat post so should I get some carbon paste to be on the safe side?
    The seatpost is more likely to slip without the paste. So, you are more likely to overtighten the clamp without the paste in order to keep it from slipping. So, you are more likely to damage your post without the paste.

I crushed an FSA carbon post by overtightening the clamp once. I think the problem was that I had a quick release clamp that was set properly, but then the post got some dirt splashed on it, and when I adjusted the height, the slightly larger diameter caused by the dirt was enough to over pressure the post. So it just felt harder to close the clamp. I got done with a ride and found a vertical crack about 6 inches long on the post. It was a rough technical ride, but fortunately the post didn't yield even with the crack in it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Livewire88 View Post
    The Park Tools carbon paste will absolutely scratch everything it comes in contact with. I can't remember other brand names, but you might try looking for a carbon paste where the grit is less aggressive. I would try your new post without it first making sure you have the collar tighten to the right specs.

mtbr member

What seat clamp do I need to use with carbon seat post?

You always need carbon paste when working with carbon parts.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    I have two bikes with a carbon seat post, no carbon paste on either and both are solid and do not slip, both are torqued to 5-6 Nm. Another bike I have has an AL post and it slips a bit on every ride, a little carbon paste helped on that bike even though there is no carbon the grit helps the clamp bite into the post.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Is there such a thing as a carbon seatpost clamp??
    Sure!

What seat clamp do I need to use with carbon seat post?-cr21c_b.jpg

Found with a simple random google image search.