mtbr member
    Mar 2017

What to replace SR Suntour XCT Cranks with?

Hi y'all.

I've been "upgrading" my Felt Nine 80. I know it's a lower end bike, but the frame aluminum grade and geometry seems to be the consistent in the Nine series until the carbon frames come in.

I've put in an sr suntour raidon air fork, hydraulic brakes, and converted it to a 1x by taking out the chainrings from the xct crankset and putting in a narrow-wide race face chainring. (No clutch derraileur, but it isn't crazy loud and no dropped chains at all so far).

Additionally, I've put in a race face turbine bar, race face evolve seat post, race face evolve stem, and maxxis ardent tires.

The cranks so far work okay, but they feel "bendy" and creaky. It's annoying when riding on my feet and I want them out for something a bit stiffer/reliable.

I don't ride anything crazy, but would like to eventually do an xc race. My budget limit around $120 (currently in law school, so funds aren't great right now). What do you recommend for my next crankset/bb?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    73mm bottom bracket?

id go with slx cranks and xt bottom bracket. thats what i have on my bike, and they work very well for the price.

edit: the model i have is the M675 not the new ones.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Yes, 73mm. I will definitely will look into your recommendation. Is there a major difference between the ones you have and the newest ones"

Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    The XCT cranks should have a 104 bcd. The new shimano cranks have a different bolt pattern that won't fit your N/W ring.

Is dang happy!
    I am experimenting with the cheap IFX Ebay crankset. $35 with BB and so far so good. Just a bit heavier than my SLX set.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    you cant go wrong with SLX/xt BB. I had to move over to SRAM GXP because my bikes came with the GXP BB and I was too cheap to pay for the new BB. Because of this the SRAM GX 1400 crank is a really good bang for your buck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Hey y'all. Thank you again for the suggestions.

I ended up going with the Shimano Zee set. Although it's a bit heavier than SLX, the price seemed too fair to pass on. Although, it's "downhill" specific, it seemed like a good choice for novice rider like myself.
    A little extra weight can only make you physically stronger, right?

Pretty stoked to put some miles in this weekend.

Cheers.