mtbr member
    Jan 2009

What to match an s-works renegade 2.3 rear with up front

I've got a set of S-Works Renegade 2.3 tires that came on a Monocog Flight I just recently picked up. They're nice, big, quick tires, but Houston trails are sandy and I need something a bit knobbier up front to keep it from washing out.

I put my old "2.4" Ardent on and of course, it's smaller than the Renegade, 2.23" vs 2.25". It really helped keep the front end tight in the corners but I've got the room up front so I want something with a casing as big or bigger than the Renegade up front. Can anybody suggest something?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've been off mountain bikes for about a year and a half due to an injury... it seems like there used to be a lot more actual tire casing measurement going on, or at least I was able to find it easily. Is there at least a blog, or thread, where casing widths of modern tires are compared, that someone could point me towards? Tire options have exploded and I'm awash in a sea of obviously untrue nominal widths.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ground Control 2.3 would likely be a good choice. I'm in FL, so a fair amount of sand as well. Just switched from 2.0 Fast Traks F&R to a 2.2 Purgatory up front with the Fast Trak rear and am liking the adding volume and grip from the Purgatory. I would have bought a 2.3 GC but had the Purgatory laying around collecting dust.
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

Workin for the weekend!
    Fast Traks and Ground Controls are my favorites... As a pair, or mix and match... Can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I ended up ordering some racing ralph's, as I've always wanted to try them out and they seem to be at least as big as the rear. Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnypecans View Post
    I ended up ordering some Racing Ralph's, as I've always wanted to try them out and they seem to be at least as big as the rear. Thanks for the input!
    I think you may be sorry, as I was when I decided to try that tire.

Next, I would look into WTB Weirwolf 29x2.3. I think you will really like that tire. I took my Schwalbes off and gave them away.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I looked at the new weirwolf, and it seemed like it wasn't going to have as much volume as the renegades, as well as looking like the tread would fill with sand. What didn't you like about the Ralphs?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnypecans View Post
    I ended up ordering some racing ralph's, as I've always wanted to try them out and they seem to be at least as big as the rear. Thanks for the input!
    There's huge difference in the lateral stability of the edge knobs on a 2.4 Ardent and a Racing Ralph. Push them sideways with your thumb before you go for a ride and then consider the rest of your body pushing on a half dozen of them.

You have to consider the knob's footprint on the casing. This, and to a certain extent the casing's stiffness limits the amount of force you can put on a knob before it falls over.

How big a tire is in the casing is no direct indicator of how well it will corner laid over on its side. I don't like RaRas on the front; some may, but I never managed to stay upright on them. Comparing them to a 2.4 Ardent is like comparing apples to grapefruit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I don't expect them to be as aggressive as the ardent I used to run, I ride a rigid and tire volume was the big reason I was looking for something else. The ardent was probably overkill but at the time I bought it it was one of the biggest 29" tires available. I ran it with the original WWLT out back. If the tread life is as short as I have read, I won't have to ride these tires all too long, anyway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Johnny, not sure how the new Ikon works in sand, but the 2.35 is reported to be just a smidge larger than the Renegade 2.3. Might be a good tire for you. There are a couple of threads about it. BruceBrown (another member in here, and prototype tester) compared the two tires sizes, as he ( and I as well) also really likes the Renegade 2.3. I actually run it both front and rear.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The Ikon sounds and looks pretty darn good, if the racing ralph wears out with the renegade i'll try an Ikon up front with the other renegade.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I gotta admit, I was thinking about the GC 2.3 as well for you. I have the Purg up front right now and it excels at some things, but I dont feel that sand is one of them.
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Oh yeah...I forgot one other tire I had recently that was pretty wicked in the sand...the WTB Wolverine...new one. Rock solid.
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Well, the Racing Ralph was about as grippy up front as I needed, but the casing still isn't as big as the s-works renegade 2.3 out back. I'm just getting back to riding loose after a year and a half of riding a road bike and waiting for my foot to heal enough, so I need all the volume I can get. I pulled it off and I'm probably going to post it up on the swap thread; the ground control 2.3 and Ikon 2.3 are on the short list now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Let me know what you think of the Ikon. I've been looking for the 2.35 in just the 3C casing (non EXO) and haven't been able to find any yet.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.