Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

what the heck is this-- Seatpost

Just got an extra long carbon seatpost in the mail with a bit of setback. Its probably me but-- this seatpost doesn't seem to have the normal bits for attaching a seat to it.

What is this called and how do I install it? TIA for any light you can shed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what the heck is this-- Seatpost-seatpost.jpg  

lamer
    monolink clone? MONOLINK SET-UP - YouTube

It might just be a side-clamp design, but it's a little hard to tell from the photo

local trails rider
    Take a seat ... in your hand. And see what happens when you try to mate it with the top end of the post.

Or contact the people who make/sell it.
    FLYXI

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

AZ
    banned
    Uhmmmmmm, Got any kids? They are usually pretty good at fingering out complicated stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The rails get clamped by the tangs on the silver endcaps. Loosen the screw, insert the seat rails as shown below, then tighten the screw.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what the heck is this-- Seatpost-seatpost-copy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Is it me, or...really!?!?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Thx Car_Nut, et.al

Well, that was easy!
    Last edited by dcc1234; 09-03-2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: did it

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Glad it worked out! Let us know how you like it.

mtbr member
    I love it. This type of seatpost looks simpler, lighter and easier to adjust than the 'old school' kind I am used to.
    My 19" 29er is bit small for me (6'0) so I hope my knees will prefer this seatpost's setback too.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    you know where the other end goes right?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    you know where the other end goes right?
    LOL

@dcc1234, you obviously did not know what you bought, so here's another word of advice: These kind of posts with a rotating head have a tendency to slip if you do not put enough torque on the saddle clamp bolt. You will not be the first rider to suddenly have your saddle pointed at the sky or the ground while riding... If that happens once, the little teeth that keep the post head from rotating wear out big time and it will happen more often, requiring even more torque on the bolt to stop it.

The bad thing is, it's hard to figure out how much torque is enough and not too much, which poses a risk of damaging the bolt or the threads.

This is why I keep away from seat posts with this design... It's a little too late for that for you, so be sure to tighten the bolt according to the torque the manufacturer advises.

mtbr member
    You are also limited to saddles with small, round rails. No carbon rails or oval / rectangle type rails. Anything other than round will not get required contact to stay put.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magilla_Guerrilla View Post
    You are also limited to saddles with small, round rails. No carbon rails or oval / rectangle type rails. Anything other than round will not get required contact to stay put.
    Not true, Bontrager has a seatpost with nearly identical parts and offers a replacement seatpost head for saddles with oval/carbonr rails.

Basement Dweller
    Those 29-er specific posts are a PITA!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by JeroenK View Post
    LOL

@dcc1234, you obviously did not know what you bought, so here's another word of advice: These kind of posts with a rotating head have a tendency to slip if you do not put enough torque on the saddle clamp bolt. You will not be the first rider to suddenly have your saddle pointed at the sky or the ground while riding... If that happens once, the little teeth that keep the post head from rotating wear out big time and it will happen more often, requiring even more torque on the bolt to stop it.

The bad thing is, it's hard to figure out how much torque is enough and not too much, which poses a risk of damaging the bolt or the threads.

This is why I keep away from seat posts with this design... It's a little too late for that for you, so be sure to tighten the bolt according to the torque the manufacturer advises.

I avoid them for the same reasons. Reminds me of the cheap-@** posts in the past that never stayed level. The foo-foo ones I have tried are no improvement
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Thx JeroenK for safty tips-- that is huge-- I'll be having my LBS check out the torque. It sounds like this is not an improvement over traditional seatpost design.
    Last edited by dcc1234; 09-04-2012 at 12:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ms6073 View Post
    Not true, Bontrager has a seatpost with nearly identical parts and offers a replacement seatpost head for saddles with oval/carbonr rails.
    Well I guess if you completely change the hardware you could use a different saddle.

Pointless, and doubtful it would work on a generic copy post, but true.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeroenK View Post
    LOL

@dcc1234, you obviously did not know what you bought, so here's another word of advice: These kind of posts with a rotating head have a tendency to slip if you do not put enough torque on the saddle clamp bolt. You will not be the first rider to suddenly have your saddle pointed at the sky or the ground while riding... If that happens once, the little teeth that keep the post head from rotating wear out big time and it will happen more often, requiring even more torque on the bolt to stop it.The bad thing is, it's hard to figure out how much torque is enough and not too much, which poses a risk of damaging the bolt or the threads.

It looks to me like there are no little teeth to stop the rotation. It must just be a friction hold; as you tighten the (single) bolt the wedged end pieces push tighter into the barrel at the top of the post?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magilla_Guerrilla View Post
    I guess if you completely change the hardware you could use a different saddle.
    Actually while the default image in that link on the Bontrager site is of the entire clamp assembly, Bontrager also sells just the clamps. I know this first hand as I had to replace the clamps on the seat post clamp on my open mold time trial frame in order to mount a Fizik saddle with braided carbon rails.

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    It must just be a friction hold; as you tighten the (single) bolt the wedged end pieces push tighter into the barrel at the top of the post?
    Yes, and once torqued (typically 5nm is adequate), unless you add a spring as in the image on the Bontrager site on the bolt between the two clamp/wedges, it will take something like a rubber mallet to get the apart. While I have had no issues on the road, I would be hesitant to use a seat post with that clamp design for off-road use for the reasons already mentioned.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    It looks to me like there are no little teeth to stop the rotation. It must just be a friction hold; as you tighten the (single) bolt the wedged end pieces push tighter into the barrel at the top of the post?
    Hard to see, but if that is the case, it's indeed a slightly less vulnerable construction. That said, it's probably still a case of torqueing (that's probably spelled wrong..?) the hell out of it. A friend of mine has a way of tightening bolts carefully. You know, "tight is tight enough". His Specialized Command post (same mechanism) did enduce a lot of cursing...

mtbr member
    op here-- FWIW, the seat post I bought has springs inside like the Bontrager, uses a 6mm allen wrench and the torque spec is 16NM.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dcc1234 View Post
    op here-- FWIW, the seat post I bought has springs inside like the Bontrager, uses a 6mm allen wrench and the torque spec is 16NM.
    Same? match saddle with round joint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what the heck is this-- Seatpost-sp4-1-09-05-16-39-59-.jpg  

what the heck is this-- Seatpost-sp4-2-09-05-16-39-59-.jpg  

what the heck is this-- Seatpost-sp4-09-05-16-39-59-.jpg  

mtbr member
    My butt hurts just looking at that saddle.

local trails rider
    You sit too much

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast