mtbr member
    May 2011

What is a good rigid 29 fork that is short and not to $'s

Thanks for the help.

And for going up and down stairs do I need a shock front end?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    What is "short"? Fork length is measured in axle to crown (A-C) length. The correct length depends on what fork the bike was designed for.

Yes, you can ride down stairs without a suspension fork. Riding up stairs is very, very hard regardless. The only people I've ever seen going up stairs on a bike actually bunny hop their way up trials style. Don't need suspension for that either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

What is a good rigid 29 fork that is short and not to $'s

You never "need" suspension for anything. Pay attention to a-c axel-crown. Read up a little and you'll understand how it relates to suspension correction and geometry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Look let me tell you where I am at and thankyou for all the help.

First let me start by saying I am a goofball, I have been riding moto motorcycles the last 25 years so a bicycle is like slow motion to me. I rode a race gas only Cr 500.

I love my bicycle and do my own gig, I like to blast up like a row of like 6 or 8 steps and jump like the same thing. I am starting to go like real fast for a bike and I am ready to go to the next level of what I do but I think I will get seriously hurt because I may not understand the limitations of a bicycle and me being big it may create problems I do not understand.

I had custom Cr 500's set up for me and I never had a problem but a bicycle in alot of ways seems like it may have limitations? I don't know?? help please before I fall and can't get up.

The Cr 500 would just run over just about anything with no problem and take it.

I am 6 foot 4 and real athletic build, I am to the point now where I ride 46 tooth front ring and 11 rear and do not shift hardly at all almost single speed.

I rode ride but jump and take shortcuts and run over curbs going full speed, the gearing will give you an idea how fast I go. I average 20 to 30 MPH but want to be able to fly off stuff and run up and down steps at that speed. On a modern moto x motorcycle this is no problem.

Me being 280 pounds am I asking for problems on a RH XXL large doing this? I run Sun MTX 33 with Hope Pro hubs.

I want to run a 29 in front and a 26 or 27,5 in rear so to keep the bike from wanting to endo. I know how dumb this sounds but it is real.

Any help would be great.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    will a rigid fork work well in this app?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Some random thoughts. . . . .

Unless your arms are able to become adequate front suspension, your wheels will then have to be able to withstand those forces. Your arms should always be part of your 'suspension system' anyway, but a rigid fork will put that much force of impact onto the wheelset.

I don't know of any dirt jump (heavy duty, short travel) 29er forks, so that would mean that you could use longer travel to absorb the kind of energy you say you're putting to your bike. Or, maybe a rigid fork, and some very heavy duty wheels. The MTX 33 is a decent candidate for a relatively heavy duty 29er wheelset, but a 280 lb rough rider slamming into stairs going uphill is going to test any wheelset that I know of with or without a suspension fork.

Since you're used to riding long travel motocross bikes, maybe a long travel mountain bike would work more naturally for you. If you like the idea of a larger front wheel (like dirt bikes have used for decades) and determined to do it, I would think about a longer travel 26" all mountain bike, and put something like a Fox 34 with 140mm travel or Rock Shox Pike with or 150mm onto a bike that has around 7" travel. That way you could have the larger front wheel with a smaller back wheel, and not screw up the geometry for decent handling. That's going to cost some extra dollars to pull it off.

I think that if you really ride that hard, I'd go for a burly all mountain or slopestyle 26" bike and see if it works for you before dropping all that extra coin on the 69er setup. You can get a burlier fork on 26" bikes, which could be more important than a larger front hoop if you ride as described. Or just get a 26" dirt jump bike, which sounds closer to something made for urban thrashing duty. The frames, forks and wheels are already out there and readily available.

Or maybe look into a bike like this (they say an XL is "coming soon"):

Frames

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
    I am to the point now where I ride 46 tooth front ring and 11 rear and do not shift hardly at all almost single speed.

I rode ride but jump and take shortcuts and run over curbs going full speed, the gearing will give you an idea how fast I go. I average 20 to 30 MPH but want to be able to fly off stuff and run up and down steps at that speed. On a modern moto x motorcycle this is no problem.

Me being 280 pounds am I asking for problems on a RH XXL large doing this? I run Sun MTX 33 with Hope Pro hubs.

I want to run a 29 in front and a 26 or 27,5 in rear so to keep the bike from wanting to endo. I know how dumb this sounds but it is real.

Any help would be great.
    I call BS. Big time.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

AZ
    banned
    A 26er is what you need, post in the All Mountain forum, lots of good help there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If you're able to push a 46x11 most of the time you probably should get a full suspension downhill or all mountain bike and hit the World Cup cross country races. You'll probably lap the field.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I call BS. Big time.
    Yep.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I call BS. Big time.
    What he said
    Eddie

2011 Trek GF Rig SS
    2003 Gary Fisher Paragon 29
    2001 Giant XTC SE 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
    I am 6 foot 4 and real athletic build, I am to the point now where I ride 46 tooth front ring and 11 rear and do not shift hardly at all almost single speed.

are you doing this kind of stuff on your motorcycle or a bicycle? motorcycle, sure, bicycle- load of crap.

it sounds like you need a burly bmx bike or something similar. maybe a dirt-jump mountain bike. anything with a 29" front tire would be silly for your applications. I think you are exaggerating your riding skills just a bit, or you think you are going much faster than you really are.

also, at 280 pounds, you're a big rider. you need to build a BEEFY bike. most mountain bikes have a weight limit and you might be pushing it. most rigid steel forks are going to fold in half under you if you do that kind of stuff. it sounds like you need a beefy freeride bike or a dirt jump bike. 29ers are mostly designed for cross-country use. you are barking up the wrong tree.

also, as the old saying goes, "strong, light, cheap: pick two." you mentioned being on a budget and with your size and your riding style, you are going to need to build this bike up STRONG so it does not snap in half on it. that means you are going to have to spend some serious $$$ on it or you're going to get hurt riding like that.

you should spend some time in the DJ/Urban/Park forum, because that is the style of riding you are doing. Urban/DJ/Park

mtbr member
    I ride 47 in the front and 10 in the rear. So there!
    2008 Redline Monocog 29er SS/Rigid
    2013 Marin Mount Vision XM7
    FS: 26" Black Flag Expert Wheelset (new), Reba 29 Fork

mtbr member
    just go buy a Surly Instigator.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I ride a 52x10 and average 30+ on the road. I also weigh 300 pounds. Of course doing it on a 36'r to prevent me from going OTB.

I have you all beat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    just go buy a Surly Instigator.
    Seconded. Although I would even upgrade to stronger wheels and as many BMX freestyle parts as you can (drivetrain, hubs, stem, pedals, maybe even bars).

Also, as common as different sized wheels are in motorcycles it's very uncommon in bicycles so your better off not bothering (not that it can't be done).