Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What the Fork???

5K views 44 replies 25 participants last post by  frank daleview 
#1 ·
I seem to have contracted the upgrade bug and in an attempt to justify my thoughts, I have turned to the forums for some clarity. Anyway, I was looking for a replacement fork for my Suntour XCR that came stock on my 2012 Scott Scale Comp. I have looked at all the usual suspects and would love to buy a nice Fox unit but unless a bargain falls in my lap, I'm going to cheap out. I have found several low to midrange options like the Marzocchi Corsa SL LR 29er Fork, Rock Shox Recon Silver TK 29er Solo Air Fork & the XC 28/32's then I found the upgrade program from Suntour. It seems everyone cringes when you say Suntour and for good reason because of the Crappy low end stuff that comes on most mass produced bikes but after reading some posts here about the higher end Suntour offerings like the Epicon, I'm thinking twice about them? I can upgrade to the Epicon for $250 and keep the old one? I guess my question is, can I get a better fork for the same money? Here's a link to the Epicon offerings SR SUNTOUR Cycling

#2 ·
Read up reviews online. And if the review's not half bad, then, for $250, I don't see why not.

But, if you look hard enough, you'll come across Recon Silver for barely over $300, Gold for under $400.

For bike parts, it's not just how cheap/durable, but also about how readily parts are available if they break down. I would imagine most LBS will carry most parts you need for Recon forks, but not for Epicon forks.

#4 ·
No experience here but Epicon is probably a pretty decent fork. Suntour has an image problem due to the fact that they have a reputation for equipping low-end bikes with low-end gear but that should reflect on their higher end stuff. If you're going to make a jump, make it count a definitndely stay away from anything Rockshox XC because it's low-end too. If you can demo an Epicon that would be great, otherwise I'd suggest shooting for a Rockshox Reba 29. If your bike has a non-tapered head tube this will also offset cost as many bikes are moving to a tapered head tube, therefore you can get a deal on straight steerer forks. It's a helluva fork at the pricepoint and so ubiquitous that parts and service are readily available.

#6 ·
Honestly, $344 seems like a lot for a recon. Considering you can get a Reba, manitou tower pro, and a few others for just a little more. It's actually better for you if you need a straight steerer and 9qr drop outs. Thats where all the deals are at the moment.

If I were you, I'd really consider searching eBay for a used fork. I've seen a lot of Reba's and foxes sell for much less then you'd think. Compared to the recon, you'll be getting a fork that is lighter, more adjustable, and true air tuning. Even sites like jenson or blue sky probably have some close outs on hand.

#9 ·
Honestly, $344 seems like a lot for a recon. Considering you can get a Reba, manitou tower pro, and a few others for just a little more. It's actually better for you if you need a straight steerer and 9qr drop outs. Thats where all the deals are at the moment.

If I were you, I'd really consider searching eBay for a used fork. I've seen a lot of Reba's and foxes sell for much less then you'd think. Compared to the recon, you'll be getting a fork that is lighter, more adjustable, and true air tuning. Even sites like jenson or blue sky probably have some close outs on hand.
After realizing that the Suntour upgrade isn't what it's cracked up to be ... For me ... 9mm only available outside the U.S.
That's the route I'll be taking ... Especially after it was revealed that repair to a Suntour is a factory thing, and parts outside their loop, don't really exist.

No rebuild stuff = BAD move on their part.
Overall, a good product, I'm sure ... But if someone with the knowledge, CAN'T get parts ... Why buy a product that locks you into unnecessary repair costs.

#7 ·
A recon silver is heavier than a Reba or Manitou. Weight on the front end is the most noticeable.
The Suntour air forks are low maintenance because they have a sealed compression damping cartridge like a shock on a car. You don't change the oil ever. Instead of a Recon I would go with the 175 Raidon. Two seasons from now you may outgrow it for a Manitou with a shim stack in the compression circuit you can configure to tune. But you may go to another bike by then.
Those two choices would be the only I would look at. Fox requires a very short maintenance schedule so I'm out.

#10 ·
First things first, you didn't specify what your budget is.
After that you can look at the usual suspects but that really is determinate on your budget. When I was upgrading I was able to get 100mm Manitou Tower Pro 9QR for $386 to my door and that fork far surpasses anything you have listed and rides like much more expensive forks. There are reviews on the EPICON and they give it pretty decent marks but it does have some drawbacks. Keep doing research and you will find something.
But again, determine your budget and work from there.

#11 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for considering our offerrings. SR Suntour forks are fully serviceable from the consumer standpoint just as any other fork or component is. The only part of the fork that needs to be serviced at our North American HQ or by a certified technician is the rebound/lock-out/compression cartridges. Rarely do the need to be serviced but in the event that they do it would need to be done by the earlier mentioned parties. Obviously the one great aspect of our forks is that they are a cartridge based system (Quick Service Product) so one could even just order a replacment unit, install it in the fork and send the other back for service and have minimal down time on their bike. Pretty good concept if you ask me.

For other replacement parts such as wipers, oil rings lock out levers and just about any other small part that could get damaged or lost we have them available and they are very cost affordable not to mention easily installed. There are a lot of great forks to choose from these days but I just wanted to clarify our products here with you to help with any questions that would come up.

Nick
nmoore@srsuntourna.com

#13 ·
I really am liking my X-Fusion SlideRL. Not the lightest, but the flex is minimal and honestly when riding it I don't notice the flex at all compared to an older Reba and Fox 32 I owned (both on 29'r) FWIW all three have been 9mm and I run them from 80-100mm only.

#14 ·
I have an Epicon RLD, I think that the right model on two different bikes, and I am happy with it. I have one set up at 100mm and the other at 120mm. I ride rocky, rooty east coast trails, and the fork has been fine. Both bikes are single speed, so I use the lock out quite a bit. It's by far the best lockout I have ever used. It's rock solid. Suntour's customer service it also excellent. I messed up a small part installing it, and Suntour replace it for free if I covered postage. I actually spoke with Nick who posted above. All that said, I am going to replace the original one I got used because the steer tube it too short. I knew that when I bought it. I have not decided which fork I am going with, but I will strongly consider Suntour again.

#15 ·
Well, I (not op) ended up going with the Recon Gold. I wanted some weight savings off the boat anchor the bike came with and I am going to save just over 2 lbs for $262 (with shipping). Not bad. I didn't opt for the Raidon because it wasn't as light as the Recon and it was marginally less expensive. Also, I would have liked an Epicon but i didn't want to have to switch out to 15mm ta. I'll post my "review" of it once it's on and I get a couple of rides under my belt.

#19 ·
I wont act like I know nearly anything about forks but I too am stuck in this dilemma. I just twisted my Recon Silver (stock) beyond repair and need a new fork. I was leaning towards the Reba RLT for the same reasons as you, but i keep getting tempted by the Manitou Tower Expert. I found one on Ebay for 289+27 shipping brand new in box. I heard another big rider saying how Manitou support suggested the Expert over the Pro for some reason being he was so heavy.

I am 290# and 6'10" so I would say I am at the high end of the spectrum. The Recon Silver held up fine for the most part but I really noticed the heaviness of it.

I'm up in the air between a new Recon Silver (so cheap), Tower Expert (price and tune-ablility), Tower Pro, and Reba RLT.

Too many choices.

#21 ·
Much confusion on which to buy. I thought the Suntour upgrade was the way to go but after some feedbacka and more online searching, I came up with a top three. 1st Reba RLT 100 ($449), Recon Gold TK Air ($238), or the Tower Pro for ($398) Recon seems to be the best value but I really like the Tower Pro and Reba???

#24 ·
Of course everyone is going to say go with the Reba... It's one of the best, most "affordable" forks out there. Wasn't in my budget at just shy of $500...figure for that price it'll make you a sandwich and get the paper for you. Depends on your budget... If you can swing it, get the Reba... If you're married, get a suntour or a Recon.

#27 ·
I think I'm like most people who want the best but can't afford it. I've been out of the game for about 10 years and there are so many options/opinions out there that its tough to pull the trigger on any one item. I just spent some $$$ on a 2x10 XT set and would like to get the XT brakes as well so I'm torn on which to buy 1st? Fork or brakes or both? For a little more than the Reba I can get the XT M785 brakes and a Recon Gold? That Recon Gold seems like a good deal at $238.00 and is quite a bit lighter and stiffer than my current Suntour XCR. I think it would hold me over until I'm ready to upgrade the wheels at which point I'll switch to the 15mm through axle.

#29 · (Edited)
I think I'm like most people who want the best but can't afford it.
LOL...I must've been a rich bugga last life, want the best in everything...Shoots , I can't even afford the bike I just bought and I'm upgrading parts!....good thing my kids are moved out!! I might be a wandering bike bum before the dust settles. That's my life, oh well. I can't wait to put the Recon Gold in place of my Suntour. My brakes and drivetrain will wait, but I do have carbon bars and stem, and Ergo cork grips on the way! 1st priority for me is reducing bad vibes as I have torn rotator cuffs and bulging neck discs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.