mtbr member

what Dt hub is used in roval wheel for Specialized?

I just bought a 2013 Epic carbon comp. It cam with a Roval wheelset that had a Dt or DT based hub. What hub is it? Im thinking its a 240 but cant find anything to back that up.
    My real question is.... can I install the DT 36 step star upgrade in it?
    DT Swiss 36 Step Star Ratchet Upgrade Kit - Wheelbuilder.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I am pretty sure that their aluminum wheels have 350 internals, and their carbon wheels have 240 internals. If you go to the Specialized website and look up your wheel, it will tell you what internals it has. It looks like your star racket upgrade would only work if you have the 240 internals. I could be wrong though. Best bet is to contact Specialized or DT Swiss. Good luck.

mtbr member
    The hubs are not DT on the front or the rear shell, but they do use either 350 or 240 internals on the rear hub depending on the level of Roval wheel. Both are compatible with the 36t upgrade.

mtbr member
    Cool thanks for the info. Specialized is a bit cryptic about what wheel are actually on the bike. It does seem like the aluminium rimmed wheels all have the 350 internals in the hub.
    So considering this upgrade will work it seems like a cheap easy deal. This should put the wheel on my epic engaging close to the speed my i9s engage

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Hi Lo hubs are made by Joi-tech. Tte rear uses pawls and is heavy. Because Specialized uses a RWS thru-bolt with Dt Swiss on it people think a $4400 bike has decent hubs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Place your rear wheel horizontally on a couple of 4x4s or a plastic pail, cassette side up, and see if you can "pop" the cassette up and off relatively easily.

If so, you'll see the star drives, and you can count teeth to see whether you have 18t or 36t. AFAIK, they have come with 36s for awhile.

The 36s are nice for engagement, but they don't have anywhere near the life span of the 18s, although both are very inexpensive to replace when they wear.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post

If so, you'll see the star drives, and you can count teeth to see whether you have 18t or 36t. AFAIK, they have come with 36s for awhile.
    An easier way to find out would be to rotate the freewheel one revolution and see if you count 18 or 36 clicks.

I have a couple of sets of the Roval wheels. Both internals and end caps of the rear hubs are compatible with parts for DT 240 hubs. The front hub is Specialized design and is not compatible with DT end caps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    My research tells me that the 350 and 240 hubs are almost exactly the same on the inside; the only differences between the hubs are in the body/shell (350 is heavier) and where they are made (Switzerland vs. Asia). The higher end Specialized or Roval hubs with DT Swiss internals can use the 36t ratchet and are supposed to be the same on the inside as the 240 -- the difference is in the hub body/shell.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    An easier way to find out would be to rotate the freewheel one revolution and see if you count 18 or 36 clicks. HD
    Huh, so that would tell you whether you had a star-drive or pawl-drive freehub? Not sure how many clicks per rev the pawl version makes, plus, pulling it would let you see the horrid grease job they do at the factory, and put some good stuff in there!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I've got to change the bearings in a Roval rear hub, so this is good to know. Is it the same DT tool to remove the ring inside the hub?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gtguy67 View Post
    I've got to change the bearings in a Roval rear hub, so this is good to know. Is it the same DT tool to remove the ring inside the hub?
    If it's a star-drive, you need no tools whatsoever. If it's a pawl-drive, I'm not sure what you'll need.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm guessing it's a prawl then. There is a ring with teeth inside the hub that engages the freehub.

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Huh, so that would tell you whether you had a star-drive or pawl-drive freehub? Not sure how many clicks per rev the pawl version makes, plus, pulling it would let you see the horrid grease job they do at the factory, and put some good stuff in there!
    Your original post said "you'll see the star drives" so I was (perhaps mistakenly) assuming that you were referring only to star ratchet hubs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The hub does not have star ratchets. It is not a Dt hub in any way. It is a Joi-tech pawl drive hub. That info is direct from Specialized Tech Support. I bought one off ebay listed as Dt..The seller was fooled by the RWS thru-bolt. It weighed 365g. I consider it junk for a wheel build. It was returned.