mtbr member
    Aug 2012

What component to upgrade?

Hi everyone!

I have been cycling for some time now and i would like to upgrade but i dont know what component. Im running a Cube Acid 29er 2012.
    I hope someone could give me some advice which would be the most benefital (i hope thats how you write it.)
    Heres what i thought to upgrade from.
    1) Fork: Rock Shox XC32 -> Recon Gold or Reba Dual Air
    2) Wheelset: Stock Cubes Alex RFR ZX24 (running tubeless atm) -> XT hubs with Mavic a317 rims, or what would you suggest?
    3) Shifters: Deores -> XT because of better shift feeling and response.
    4) Bars: Easton 680mm risers -> Narrower Flatbars
    5) Was thinking about new Sram x9 drivetrain but i thought was just a waste of money cause i already have a Deore XT rear and SLX front... or?
    6)Suggest me anything else?

Came a bit long post but thanks for any kinds of help!

mtbr member
    wheels and fork are the best upgrades you can make. what you should get depends upon where and how you ride....
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yes, i thought so too, but those are the most expensive parts.
    For wheels i also found Easton EA70 XC wheelset, anyone has any experience?
    Or does anyone has any experience for performance between Reba and Recon?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A 2011 or 2012 Reba or a Manitou Tower Pro(even better) would be all you will ever need. Light and tunable. Get it 15mm thru-axle and build a light front wheel to go with it. ZTR 3.03 or Hope front hub with changeable endcaps, Dt SuperComp spokes/alloy nips and an ArchEX rim. Lace it yourself. Check bikecomponents.de for wheel components.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ok, i decided to go with the wheelset. Just because i now understand that shaving grams off a rolling part is better then the fork, anyways the fork works just fine for me.
    My wheels are pretty heavy, i havent weighed them but information from internet tells me they weigh well over 2.4 or 2.5 kg.(5.3 or 5.5 lbs then)
    Im thinking of going with Fulcrum wheels cause thats what my LBS has, and ordering online to Estonia is very expensive.
    So now im thinking between Fulcrum Red Power SL and XL.
    SL are cheaper but same weight as XL. Does anyone has any kinds of experience with either?
    Oh, and about the budget, the XL wheels are maximum i can spend, they sell for 300 (380$).
    Last edited by Immadis; 08-29-2012 at 09:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just joined the forum and came across this post which is similar to what I am undertaking. I bought a Cube Analogue off of eBay as an upgrade project mainly as it has a good frame which used across the whole range up to Carbon. So far, I have upgraded the following:

1. Forks now Manitou Tower Pro (VERY NICE!)
    2. Groupset upgraded to a 2x10 Shimano XT
    3. Pedals changed to Shimano PD-M520 Clipless

Next is the wheels once winter in the UK is out of the way. I am 92KG so I am somewhat limited to the choice :-). Going to keep the old wheels for my Winter setup.

...and yes, I know I probably could have bought a more expensive bit with all the bits installed but where is the fun in that!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Heh, thanks for late reply.
    I have already upgraded wheels to Fulcrum Red Power 29 XL
    tires to Specialized Ground control and tubeless
    pedals to shimano m520
    and some bits... grips, saddle, cassette, rotors.
    I am very happy with all my parts, especially surprised with wheels and pedals because they are actually pretty much the cheapest but are holding up like a charm!