mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Weirwolf 2.5 and Stans's Flow = Absolute Frustration

Weirwolfs and Flows don't mix (at least the set I have didn't).

I consider myself someone who does his homework, so it really should be no surprise to me that the one time I don't I end up with raw and bloodied hands. Now, I have a set of tires that are going back to shop.

I fought and fought with them. Next, I tried stretching them at 70 psi overnight on another set of rims, and they still are just too tight to fit. At this point even if I did force them on, heaven forbid if I needed to add a tube or ever get them off.

Big bummer. Others have had the same problem; I just failed to check the facts before purchasing. They did fit a set of WTB rims, but even then the bead was hard to set.

I'm just going with another set of Maxxis Ardent 2.4's (to replace the set I pulled off my other bike - whole other story). They just fit the frame. They're predictable, and they provide more than enough volume to take the edge off Western CO chunk.
    Uh-huh, uh-huh. Okay. Um Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about uuhhh, things. Uhh... the things.

COTA member
    Are they TCS? If so that is a UST bead. UST bead tires rarely fit on Stan's rims.

mtbr member
    I've had no problem with my Bronson tcs tires on flows.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    It is the TCS.

Skimming tire reviews I have found some other instance of tubeless ready or UST beads that appear problematic on Stan's rims (Geax TNT for one).

It could just be this set - except I have found several other complaints about the same troubles I ran into.I mean, I thought I had run into some tight fits in the past, but this was ridiculous. The tires win, I give up. I'll just run something else.

Something to check though if you are running Stan's Flows (possibly others) and are looking at tubeless ready tires.
    Uh-huh, uh-huh. Okay. Um Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about uuhhh, things. Uhh... the things.

Stayin' Puft
    Wow, that is too bad. My old-version WW 2.55 is running just fine on the back with a Flow. So, it seems that WTB made the tubeless performance worse with the new version, at least when used with the defacto-standard tubeless bead for 29ers, which is the Stans bead. Progress...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonrat View Post
    Wow, that is too bad. My old-version WW 2.55 is running just fine on the back with a Flow. So, it seems that WTB made the tubeless performance worse with the new version, at least when used with the defacto-standard tubeless bead for 29ers, which is the Stans bead. Progress...
    WTB rims are UST based with tape and should work flawlessly with their TCS tires.
    Their frequency line will probably be my next rim.

29er or MTB world does not evolve around Stans.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I had similar hassles. I think the reason is something like this: Stans make their rims slightly larger than normal to make it easier to mount standard tyres tubeless. Tyre manufacturers make their "tubeless ready" tyres slightly smaller than usual to make it easier to mount them tubeless.

mtbr member
    Currently running a UST ardent on the back of my flow 29ers.

At first is was easy to get on!

Luckily I got my first puncture that stans didn't seal right next to my LBS, 15 minutes, 2 mechanics and 6 tire levers later the tire and the tube mounted properly.

Still running the same tube 3 weeks on, but I dread the day I get a flat on the trails and have to change it by myself.
    Pivot mach 6!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel RW View Post
    Currently running a UST ardent on the back of my flow 29ers.

At first is was easy to get on!

Luckily I got my first puncture that stans didn't seal right next to my LBS, 15 minutes, 2 mechanics and 6 tire levers later the tire and the tube mounted properly.

Still running the same tube 3 weeks on, but I dread the day I get a flat on the trails and have to change it by myself.
    Park Tool metal tire irons. Soap and water. Piece of cake. Take that LUST tire off, patch it and get back to tubeless.

mtbr member
    Considering the old 29er WW was one of the most popular tires out there for SSers on their rigid front forks, was affordable, and worked great tubeless, it just seems odd that WW not only discontinued it a YEAR before the new one came out, but now it's more expensive, heavy as a dead body, and doesn't work well with one of the most popular rim manufacturers today.

When my old WW wears out, I won't be getting a new one.
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hey Nutbag I'll trade you a near new set of 2.4 Ardents for your WWs
    bikesonburke

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pete weber View Post
    Hey Nutbag I'll trade you a near new set of 2.4 Ardents for your WWs
    Sorry. I already returned them. I couldn't afford to keep 'em around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

trashbag tire mounting

I wonder if the trashbag method would solve the problem? Next time I do a set of knobs on the moto I hope this will save a bucket load of sweat.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
    Are they TCS? If so that is a UST bead. UST bead tires rarely fit on Stan's rims.
    Rarely is not true at all...it is true that some fit overly tight, especially on the Crest or Arch EX with their shallower bead hook. But many fit just fine on Stans rims.

I've run both Specialized 2Bliss and Bontrager TLR tires in my Sun Ringle Charger (using Stans BST rim profile) and both installed tool free and inflated with no issues or leaks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have been running the Panaracer Rampage on the front and rear over my Stans Flows. They also went on real easy and come off easy on the trail when I have needed to put the tube inside after my stans fluid dries up I thing the tread pattern is similar to your Ardents. I was not a Panaracer fan for many years, but I tried these and they are great in all conditions I have tried them. I will buy another set of these again. My two cents.