mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Weird noise when hill climbing

OK I have a FS KHS, while I was out yesterday it was making some weird noise while under heavy stress while climbing. The suspension was active so I am wondering if the derailluer was slightly miss aligned . The chain never slipped as the chain and cassette are both new, it was just making a weird click noise like the chain wasn't in the cog all the way yet on the workstand it all looks fine. Is this normal for FS bikes as the chain will get slacker and what not while the suspension is active. I can not seeing anything wrong, I just don't like my bike making noise while my 220 lbs is cranking on the pedals on a steep climb. I like my teeth where they are.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    could be heaps of things...have you ruled out cranks, tight QR, BB etc?

turtles make me hot
    Check your spoke tension.
    My wheels made odd ticking noises when climbing until I added tension to my spokes.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ya, as was said it could be a number of things. I run a KHS FS and have not heard any clicking due to the suspension, but I do keep my bearings fresh with grease. What about your front sprockets? Did you replace any when you replaced your cassette and chain. Does it make the clicking noise on all front sprockets when you crank down on them? Does it click on all rear cassette combos? (if just on large one maybe limiter screw). I have heard clicking noises from dry bearings in my pedals while cranking hard also. I also had a bad creak, clicking, from a dry rear hub. You have to try to isolate the problem one by one. I know creaking, and clicking sounds drive me nuts. Good luck!

If you were in your biggest cassette cog in back, you may have your derailleur limit too close to the chain, and then under tension it slightly rubs quick or hits. Adjust your limit screw just a tad so the derailleur cage moves closer to the frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I had a clicking, aways at the same point pedaling so I knew it was in the crank area. LBS looked at it and confirmed a cracked bearing in the BB.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I am infering from your cassette comment that you have isolated the problem to that area of the bike. If that is the case, the two things I would check first are 1: is the derailleur hanger aligned? A misalligned hanger can produce clicking but not necessarily ghost shifting in certain gears and 2: maybe give your cable a counter clockwise turn at the shifter to see if you have some minor cable stretch. Enough to cause the sound but not enough to cause a shift.

Other common causes I have found if it is not isolated to that area are rubbing on the front derailleur (as others have mentioned above) or the seatpost interface with the frame or seat interface with the seatpost. Regrease/clean (I use carbon prep to prevent slippage) the seat post and tighten the seat. A loose seat was the cause of my last clicking issue.

Good luck!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I hear weird noises when climbing all the time - usually my own farting.

turtles make me hot
    Sure would be nice if he'd come back and tell us what it was.
    I like turtles

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    OK I have a FS KHS, while I was out yesterday it was making some weird noise while under heavy stress while climbing. The suspension was active so I am wondering if the derailluer was slightly miss aligned . The chain never slipped as the chain and cassette are both new, it was just making a weird click noise like the chain wasn't in the cog all the way yet on the workstand it all looks fine. Is this normal for FS bikes as the chain will get slacker and what not while the suspension is active. I can not seeing anything wrong, I just don't like my bike making noise while my 220 lbs is cranking on the pedals on a steep climb. I like my teeth where they are.
    AH-HA!!!!!! Chain and cassette are both new, eh? How about those chainrings? I sometimes develop creaking from the middle ring when the rest is worn, but I really hear it when the middle or granny ring are worn. I assume you double checked the chainrings bolts as well, right? I say also check for bent teeth on the chainrings.

Also check your cassette. If you just changed it out, it may have not been seated properly, or snugged down all the way. Take the rear wheel off, grab the cassette in your fingers and wiggle it a bit. It should not have any tap dance slop in it. If it moves side to side at all, that may be the source of your noise (and sloppy shifting).

mtbr member
    Chainring bolts seem to be the source of this type of noise more often than not for me.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Well it has a few noises some I have tracked down, One the chain is to long and slaping around, going to fix that on the weekend, the other noise maybe the chainring boltsor the BB but also makes the noise when the sus is going up and down so it could be a linkage noise? What ever it is is pissing me off LOL It only makes the noise when pedaling, when coasting and sus is active no noise. I will find it sooner or later.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    AH-HA!!!!!! Chain and cassette are both new, eh? How about those chainrings? I sometimes develop creaking from the middle ring when the rest is worn, but I really hear it when the middle or granny ring are worn. I assume you double checked the chainrings bolts as well, right? I say also check for bent teeth on the chainrings.

Also check your cassette. If you just changed it out, it may have not been seated properly, or snugged down all the way. Take the rear wheel off, grab the cassette in your fingers and wiggle it a bit. It should not have any tap dance slop in it. If it moves side to side at all, that may be the source of your noise (and sloppy shifting).
    All was new chainrings, cassette and chain.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    This has happened to me too. Especially when I'm going <5mph up a really steep hill and REALLY wrenching on the pedals to keep moving. Just a quick single pop or click and I can feel it too...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yep but now that noise has gone and I am getting a ton of creaking LOL, its one damn thing after the other. I made a HD video of my last ride and you can hear it on the video creak creak ugggggggg I hate that noise. I am pretty sure its seat related and pedals this time.

Re: Weird noise when hill climbing

Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    Yep but now that noise has gone and I am getting a ton of creaking LOL, its one damn thing after the other. I made a HD video of my last ride and you can hear it on the video creak creak ugggggggg I hate that noise. I am pretty sure its seat related and pedals this time.
    As stupid as this sounds, take some grease and put it on a flathead screwdriver and wedge it in between the nose of the seat and the outer part. Obviously underneath. I had the same creak and noticed it was coming from the front part of my WTB saddle. Poked grease around in there and no more creak.