mtbr member

New question here. weird greasy lines on tire? wth??

I have been using a set of specialized captains on my hardtail, running them tubless with stans sealer. thing is, I always notice these weird, kinda greasy lines that are evenly spaced emanating from about a 1/4 inch from the rim and running outward about 3/4 inch on a slight angle towards the tread.

I use dry lube on the chain and the lines are on both sides of the tire, but only on the rear. I am not losing pressure and after a long dusty ride they are still noticeable. like I said, they feel slightly greasy to the touch. I'm not concerned as much as I am mystified

any ideas as to what is going on? I have suspicions but thought I would post here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeface.killa View Post
    I have been using a set of specialized captains on my hardtail, running them tubless with stans sealer. thing is, I always notice these weird, kinda greasy lines that are evenly spaced emanating from about a 1/4 inch from the rim and running outward about 3/4 inch on a slight angle towards the tread.

I use dry lube on the chain and the lines are on both sides of the tire, but only on the rear. I am not losing pressure and after a long dusty ride they are still noticeable. like I said, they feel slightly greasy to the touch. I'm not concerned as much as I am mystified

any ideas as to what is going on? I have suspicions but thought I would post here.

I am new to tubless tires (just recently did a conversion). After my first ride I noticed a few streaks from the bead. Wiped them off and they have been gone since that first ride. Myself and a fellow long time tubeless user feel it was just sealant weeping that eventually sealed the bead.

mtbr member
    i'm going to post a pic-it's waaaaaay too uniform to be a bead weep, plus if I wipe it down and away and go for a couple of rides it's back again

mtbr member
    okay, here's a close up-mind you that it is ALL THE WAY around the tire-both sides. I haven't put in any stans in at least 8 rides. Notice that there is none on the bead-only the sidewall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails weird greasy lines on tire? wth??-2012-10-15_22-14-43_333.jpg  

mtbr member
    It's coming from the inside of your tire, I'd bet a paycheck on it. Clean it up, add 10 psi (or more if you're slogging it) next ride and see if it happens.

Process of elimination rules out everything else: No suspension linkages, derailleurs only on one side, cassette only on one side. Pedals, maybe, highly unlikely, do you have any lube leaking out of your pedals? The pattern follows the tire deformation. It's not coming out of thin air, that's for sure.

mtbr member
    okey doke, but I'm only going to add 5, hardtail with my light belly =ping pong.

you're probably right, I did notice that the deformation lines were the same.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I think these tires were made on a Friday. The inner threads were contaiminnated with oil some how and now it is bleeding through. Check out this video.

How Are Bicycle Tyres Made - YouTube

nothing to see here
    It's Stan's sealant. I have a similar appearance with small thorn holes on my rear tyre. I'll take some pics tomorrow. By the way, it looks like you've been running the pressures too low which causes the diagonal wear marks. Unusual for the rear though.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Formerly of Kent
    It's sealant coming through thin spots in the casing.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeface.killa View Post

Yeah I got those on a Maxxis Ignitor, both front and rear....Stans is the culprit...

But I got em worse on the rear drive side and my chain does slap the tire, on downhills...even though I run dry lube as well it still gets on the tire.

nothing to see here
    Stan's sealant coming through small cuts. No discernible pressure drop.

I see hills.

I want to climb them.

EDR
    Your captains are not UST tires are they? Common with non ust tires, especially Specially tires.

Casing weep.

mtbr member
    My Specy tires do the exact same thing..just sealant making its way through the casing.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I have the same issue. Nothing to worry about. Go ride
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I had the same problem on both my Captain control and Fast trak when new.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My Spec. Renegade tubeless developed blister like bumbs on the rear tire, no pattern to them. I would pop them and they would weep and seal and then come back next ride.

Lbs switched it out as warranty, just a defective lay up in the wraps under the tread.

mtbr member
    The bumps are not the same thing as the OP is talking about; this is just weeping sealant.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I know, just wanted to share my specialized tire story too.

Sorry to the OP for butting in.